It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
(female)

BlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB User
Going back to work?

I get SSDI due to being legally blind. However, I really did like working, just couldn't anymore because, well, secretaries need to see

My question is this - what happens if you do get retraining, and go back to work? I've looked this up and get so confused, so maybe I am overthinking it. But do you continue to get your SSDI, the full amount, as long as you do not go over the monthly allowed income earning limit? Or do you stay on SSDI for x amount of months, even if you earn less than your SSDI, or whatnot?

The following user gives a hug of support to BlindMom:
ferd144 (04-18-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
(female)

youtoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB User
Re: Going back to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMom View Post
I get SSDI due to being legally blind. However, I really did like working, just couldn't anymore because, well, secretaries need to see

My question is this - what happens if you do get retraining, and go back to work? I've looked this up and get so confused, so maybe I am overthinking it. But do you continue to get your SSDI, the full amount, as long as you do not go over the monthly allowed income earning limit? Or do you stay on SSDI for x amount of months, even if you earn less than your SSDI, or whatnot?
My son is soon to be 21 and has a diagnoses of Mental Retardation. He receives disabled adult child benefits on my husband's record and when his income from working is not to much a small amount from SSI. His last year of high school he went to a special program that helps find disabled children jobs. The Sheltered Workshop was a perfect fit for him. It is confusing to figure it all out however if you do decide to do some retraining most of those programs are great at making sure you the client understand how retraining and returning to work will effect not just your SSDI but any other programs you may have such as extra help from medicare for drugs, snap benefits, housing. The limits for someone who is blind is higher so if you use the limits for someone who is not blind you should be fine. You are correct in that as long as you do not make over SGA (substantial gainful activity) you get to keep your full SSDI benefits. The trail work period is what makes it confusing for some it has lower limits and runs a long period of time folks get confused thinking if I work more than the trail work period amounts I lose it all. Do a google search for new york makes work pay. It has tons of information on what happens when someone returns to work .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

You are legally blind. You can still receive full SSDI benefits and work as long as you remain under the limit which is currently $1690.

If you are older than age 55 and legally blind, any month you make over the limit of $1690, benefits are merely suspended and not terminated. If you have a month where you make under the limit, you receive your SSDI benefit.

If I was legally blind and wanted to work, I would go for the job retraining. For other disabilities unrelated to blindness, my fear would be possible termination of benefits after A CDR even if I stayed under the $1,010 limit for disabled workers who are not blind.

What are you thinking about doing?

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueSkies14 For This Useful Post:
ferd144 (04-18-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
(female)

BlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB UserBlindMom HB User

thank you both for the posts. My son pointed something out to me though... I can't differentiate between most numbers, and actually, while my vision was still 20/80-20/100 range, failed 3 college math classes because of the vision issue...it's not that I can't see. I can....a little But, at age 41, it's my right eye only that has any usable vision in it. And what I can see in that is...skewed for lack of a better term. Plus there are permanent floaters going on that make it harder. It's like have macular degeneration, without having it.

I was thinking of some kind of counseling, but doubt I'd qualify truth be told, due to my own issues with the whole PTSD (unrelated to the vision loss). It's more of a thought, but even after talking to a counselor yesterday, it seems like a long shot. I just get so bored...I feel worthless doing nothing to be honest. Seriously, my son turns 16 in 2 weeks, and it just upsets me that he can get a job and I can't. But I know there are reasons we all have our disabilities that put us in this situation. And I know I worked for 20 years of my life (was a stay at home mom for a few years when he was little). And, quite honestly, I love the fact that as a single mom, I can be a stay at home mom to my teenage son...I mean, how many people can do that? I just want to feel useful I guess.

I was told also by the rehab counselor that given the economic conditions of funding for programs, it was unlikely I'd be considered for rehab/voc training anytime soon anyhow, which I understand.... I'd rather any funds they have be spent on someone who will pass the classes and be able to be self-supporting again, not someone like me who may flunk some of them because of this stupid vision issue

The following user gives a hug of support to BlindMom:
youtoo1955 (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
(female)

youtoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB Useryoutoo1955 HB User

So you have what they term very low vision. While you may not be able to become a counselor there are other things you can do. Have you checked with your local council for the blind, or checked into any workshops in your area? Where my son works they have a section for low vision and blind workers. Part of the workshop he works for is a company called sunny bunny eggs. They are plastic eggs prefilled with candy for different holidays with Easter being the bigger of course. the low vision and blind workers count and fill the bags of eggs passing them on to the worker who seals the bags. There is so much volunteer work you can do working with others who have low vision helping those just starting a journey like yours learn how to adapt. I assure you there is so much more you can do than you can even at this time imagine.

You are so correct in that you already have the most important job in the world as a mom of a teenager. I have always felt the need us mom's more from 14 to 20 than any other time in life. They need a parent's guidance more at that age as they are making so many choices that will effect their lives forever.

The following user gives a hug of support to youtoo1955:
BlindMom (04-19-2012)
Reply Reply