It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User
Funniest or Strangest Job They Said You Can Do

Time for something to make people smile.

We all know that when you are denied at any level, you are told what jobs they think you can do. My attorney told me that the SSDI told one of her other clients that they could get a job as a napkin folder.

I was told in one of my denials I could be a DJ.

What was the funniest or strangest job they said you could do?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User
Re: Funniest or Strangest Job They Said You Can Do

Cool thread! Napkin Folder! LMAO...does anyone know how much a napkin folder makes...surely under SGA?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

OK.. who ever said that had a liquid lunch..

or -- they were trying to beat their co-worker with something so ridiculous to see if it passed thru the powers to be.

They only told me I could do my job -- (even tho my former employer bought me out and they knew that) and that was on my original application/denial.

So, Gayle, how hard did you laugh at the idea of being a DJ/VJ ??? Could you imagine how cranked up the room would be watching your come up to the equipment in your walker??

HHahahaha..

Hugs

Last edited by Jacki345; 04-18-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User

That is hilarious!!! A DJ!!! A napkin folder?? Come on, that job does NOT exist does it?? Without some other duties attached to it such as waitressing?? That is one of the funniest things I have heard on here!!
Well I had a sedentary job to begin with, so they said I could do my own job, but then at the actual hearing I "zoned out" at that point due to being in a panic and only heard the first job, which was a receptionist. I'm going to go look up the job requirements of a napkin folder now!! Lmao!!!!!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

NElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB UserNElady HB User

There really is such thing as a napkin folder (I just googled it) but it also involves folding towels and linens, so the name is a little misleading. I would think laundry worker would be more appropriate. It still cracks me up!! And a DJ? I would think that would be a pretty competitive job market as there isn't a HUGE demand for that job unless you live in a party city. The city I live in has about 1 million people roughly, with suburbs, and i looked up DJ's, and there's only a handful. Craziness!!!!!!!!

Last edited by NElady; 04-18-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

What a great thread idea Gayle!! Made me laugh and smile today! Hope everyone is having a good day!!!!!!!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB Usersunni123 HB User

This may be slightly off topic, but on another forum someone was asking if sending their resume (in lieu of a work history report) would be a good idea

The Following User Says Thank You to sunni123 For This Useful Post:
NElady (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

I would personally never send a resume to the SSA. For one, it would need to be current to have the info needed. If current, it may show you are job-hunting. Plus, the resume may show more info/skills that SSA may use to try to match you up with another job. I don't know, it just looks "job ready" to me to send a resume. What do others think?? I would hate to have that be a reason to get denied.

The Following User Says Thank You to NElady For This Useful Post:
sunni123 (04-18-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

OMG, I just remembered a dream I had last nite.. It had to be b'coz of this thread.

I dreamt I was working in this gas station taking money for gas, it was a cash only place. The line was MILES long cos I wasn't as fast as those who were filling up their cars. Everyone was mad and yelling and I just said -- Call SS, tell them your problem.

Then all of a sudden I was at my old job from when I was a kid, working in a movie theater but doing both the ticket window and the concession stand.. running back and forth. (Thankful it was still a one screen theater.) Still running back and forth.. well, hobbling. LINES in both, to get in and for popcorn & etc. No one happy. I said the same thing.. Call SS tell them not me.

OMG.. weird how things stick in your head and a dream pops out!
LOL

Hugs

The Following User Says Thank You to Jacki345 For This Useful Post:
dedwards (06-02-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
(female)

studey2 HB User

SS said I could take tickets at like a theater or stuff animals ...??? I eventually got my case. but I had to go to the state to get after 3 denials..the 3rd denial the took the person 6 months to denie me..that was a long wait for a no/.....studey

Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
(female)

Mamaplease HB User

DJ? LOL. My husband got a good one at his hearing. We live in a very rural Texas town with moderate income. At his hearing, he was told that out of the thousands of jobs ever created he could be a "gate guard". When our attorney pointed out that he couldn't walk, run, etc. so how could he "guard" anything (because it would be assumed that he may have to chase somebody, arrest somebody, etc.), the Occupational <whatever> said, "oh, well, a gate guard, like at a billionaire's house, where he just pushes a button to open the gate." The judge started laughing and said, "in his area, how many such homes exist?" to which she replied, "none." LOL We all had a good laugh at her expense!

Old 09-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User

I guess I got lucky. I was told I could be a parking attendant, there are no attended parking lots in town. Then he said that I would lose that job too due to history of lost time from work.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 AM   #13
(female)

shespeaks247 HB User

Hi, I'm a newbie here. The last time I tried for SSDI (ten years ago, I was fortunate enough to stay on full steroids and be able to work, but then it turned unfortunate when the steroids started breaking my bones) they said I could be a 'chicken sexer'.

I was just at ALJ hearing and had a favorable ruling (no money or paperwork yet) and the VE tried to say since I'd been a pastry chef (my hand/armed was crushed in a dough sheeter and it's my dominant hand/arm) and did salads too, I could 'put lettuce in a bowl'. I then described by past work in a restaurant and she finally said 'Oh, that's not how I'd have described it'.

The judge actually ASKED her 'would you pay for just some lettuce in a bowl?' The judge was great this time.

I'd heard Napkin Folder, and ticket taker many times before too.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
(female)

JClooking HB User

Had my hearing today and the judge asked the VE if maybe I could do a job where I sit and watch security monitors but I got lucky with a sympathetic VE so he told him that there's only about 400 jobs in the whole country for that. Every time the judge would suggest something to the VE, he would disagree and tell him that he didn't think anyone in my situation would be able to do anything. I just hope the judge listens to what he suggested especially if they listen when they go the other way. After reading this thread I was ready for the worst in the VE and have all kinds of ridiculous suggestions come from him but he couldn't have been nicer. My friend, who was allowed to sit in the proceedings, said that she knew what the VE's decision was 1/2 way through the hearing when, after writing constantly, just stopped dead and laid his pen down.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #15
(female)

kye021 HB User

I was denied because I was polite and could wash myself in the shower. I thought that was funny after I got angry about it and had the chance to calm down. Hopefully, the trial on Monday is favorable

Closed Thread