It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Disabilities Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
(female)

bombom HB User
Unhappy On disablility, and feeling worthless!

Hi!

I'm a 40yr old woman, and I'm Epileptic, I've had my seizures for 37yrs. now. At one point in my life I was able to work, go to college, and live alone. My seizures have pretty much been in control where I was able to do these things. About 7 yrs ago I started having gran mal sz back to back. The college I was attending told me I had to stop my classes because I was considered a high risk, and the job I was working at let me go for the same reason. I know that, that's considered discremination. Except I live near the Houston area, and here in Texas a company has the right to let go of one of their employers without any reasons. So I applied for disablility, and now I'm on it. I hate it though! I hate when people ask me if I work, and it's embarassing to have to say that I don't. I always feel hopless, when I'm around others, and they talk about their jobs, where they work, and what they do. I loved it when I was able to work, I was always around people, and I loved working with others. I want to be able to go back to work, even if it's just for a few hours, I've already tried to appy, but, I've gotten turned down so many times, I feel hopless. It's even harder for me, because if I have a gran mal for more then 15 min. I lose oxygen to the brain, which causes my, memory, and thought process to slow down. Which it has considerably since I stated having my gran mals I have neices, and nephews, and I see them getting older, and as they do I see their intellegence growing. While me seems to stay the same. I can't even seem to have an intellegent conversation with others, because I always feel, like I'm going to say something stupid. I always feel like I'm on the outside looking in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: On disablility, and feeling worthless!

Hey, I will try to help you. Let's start with...what have you studied?
Do you have a degree?
Second thing, I know some people who had epilepsy and are allowed to work. They are not allowed to drive, but they work. (customer service jobs).

You sound like a strong woman. I will not tell you to volunteer cause I know you want to work. Volunteering is a good thing, but you can do it later in life. Or you can work and volunteer.

Perhaps you can apply for jobs in a different state?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
(female)

bombom HB User
Re: On disablility, and feeling worthless!

Hi nochange!

Well first of all I'd like to start off with saying thanks for your reply. Like I said in my post I had many jobs. Except when I when they found out that my seizures were consistant they didn't want to take the risk of me hurting myself while on the job. The last job I had was being a substitude teacher, I loved it! I was going to college to try to get a teachers, assistant certificate. I hadn't got beyond what I waned to do from there because that was when my seizures had started to become so bad that they the college I was attending told me I had to sign out. That I was considered a high risk. I've thought about moving to another state like you just mentioned, but it's easier said then done. Only because to me this is where my foundation is, where I feel grounded, and besides I'm happy with my doctors, I've changed so many docs. over the yrs. that I've finally found some that I feel comfortable with. Since this last post I was told about a company that can help people that're in the same situation as me. So I'm hoping that they can help me find something I can do that will help me, even if it's someting small that won't put my disability, at risk! Please wish me luck, and again thanks for the reply!

The following user gives a hug of support to bombom:
urmychesirecat (04-10-2013)
Reply Reply