It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Divorce & Separation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2004, 12:23 AM   #1

ragshooter HB User
SSDI, Divorce, Assets, Money

Howdy,

I'm new to the board.

I've been disabled since 1999, Squamous Cell Carcinoma, very long story and am on SSDI.

My problem: After 5 years of being disabled and generally being a pain in the butt because of it, my wife is divorcing me. We own a home. The home was paid off and somewhere along the line we acquired a new mortgage. We don't need to go there, however, it seems the house is going to be sold no matter what happens. She's put the house into default and is "giving" me the equity and quit-claiming off the deed. It's no prize since the house will likely be seized before it can be sold and she figures that "giving" me the equity will save her from paying me maintanence (Alimony)

My question: Assuming the house CAN be sold before it is seized, what am I allowed to retain cash-wise and not lose my SSDI? Giving up my SSDI is not an option, obviously. Where am I at?

I have no lawyer, cannot afford a lawyer and in any case, I'm really starting to despise lawyers, for obvious reasons.

Thanks! -Rod-

Old 08-14-2004, 02:16 PM   #2
(female)

Advice seeker HB User
Re: SSDI, Divorce, Assets, Money

If you are drawing SSDI, the amount of money should have no bearing. If you are drawing SSI, then I think you can only have assets of $2,000.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2004, 11:52 PM   #3

ragshooter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advice seeker
If you are drawing SSDI, the amount of money should have no bearing. If you are drawing SSI, then I think you can only have assets of $2,000.
It seems like a lot of people may not know which system they are in as this type of comment comes up a lot. Anyhow, I'm on SSDI.

Court in 12.5 hours. Oh boy. I see my life being flushed right down the toilet. As if things aren't bad enough already -Rod-

Old 08-18-2004, 12:43 AM   #4
(male)

Purplebill HB User

For cryin out loud! talk to a bankruptcy attorney, today, you may be able to get a stay and keep the house from seizure, attorney could represent based on fees from sale of home. So you may be able to preserve your equity. It is usually free to consult with one, do it today. Good luck.

Closed Thread