It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Divorce & Separation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2004, 04:50 AM   #1

robingilbo HB User
ssi and divorce

I am writing this on behalf of my sister who is recieving ssi benefits for her and her daughter. She only receives $534 for herself, and $226 from another source for her daughter. When she got divorced 13 years ago, part of the divorce settlement was that she would recieve half of the equity in their home at that time. This money was due and payable in april, 1994, and amounted to $4513 with 5% per annum interest. She has not recieved a single dime from her ex husband. My question to anyone out there who can answer, is this. Will ssi take this money away from her monthly benefit and make it pointless to try to collect it? Or should I proceed to get her legal aid so she can buy a car, and she can still receive her monthly benefit. I am not going to help her fight for her money, only to have it taken away, or taken out of her ssi check. I would really appreciate any advice anyone can give, as I cant seem to find an answer to these questions anywhere.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2004, 04:19 PM   #2
(male)

Purplebill HB User
Re: ssi and divorce

Your sister has a cash asset limit of $2,000.00 while on SSI. Therefore, if she recieves more than $2,000.00 then she would be ineligible for benefits for the month that she received the money. If she spent the money in the same calendar month that she received it, on an excluded asset such as a motor vehicle worth less than $4,500.00, then her eligibility would start as of the next month. In other words, she would only "lose" one month of benefits. so it would certainly not be pointless to pursue the money owed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 04:43 AM   #3

robingilbo HB User
Re: ssi and divorce

purplebill, I thank you for answering my question, and I would like to add that you do a great service to many of us here who have difficulty wading through the social security system. Thank you.

Closed Thread