It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Divorce & Separation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
(female)

christine1818 HB User
divorce

Hi, Does anyone know how OCD affects divorce and child custody. I have told my therapist about all of my intrusive thoughts, and she says not to worry one bit about this in a custody battle, but my husband has already brought it up. He has been verbally/emotionally abusive to me for 4 yrs + and my therapist thinks I have been in a clinical depression for much of the relationship which lead to the Anxiety/ panic attacks and subsequent OCD thoughts. I am just so scared because I am a wonderful mom, and my husband needs some serious anger management, as he has started being emotionally abusive to our son as well. It is imperative that I have primary physical custody, in order for my child to reside in a safe and stable environment. My OCD thoughts are improving with the Celexa and now that he is gone, and I hope I will one day completely recover. Any advice or knowledge to share? I live in GA, which I hear is great for the mom, but am so worried, that being open with my husband about the intrusive thoughts will hurt my case (although he has expressed similar thoughts to me, he said they don't bother him)...Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
(female)

2grlz1boy HB User
Re: divorce

I think it is unfortunate that you have found yourself in this position, it is unfortunate of him to pull this card on you. I think what is most important to get across is that your OCD doesnt get in way of your parenting your son...

Much like a person cannot chose to get MS or CF or any disease, you did not chose this and I wold personally think it is discrimatory to assume you are a bad mother because you have a disorder.

I am a mother of 3 ages 4, 2 ,1.....I also have OCD, and in my opinion sometimes it makes me a better mother. No parent is perfect OCD or not.

Good luck to you, please update so i can see how your doing.

Chrissy.

Last edited by 2grlz1boy; 02-15-2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: i signed off with my name chrissy, and realized we have similar names (mine is actually christina)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread