It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Divorce & Separation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User
after the divorce

just curious for those of you that are divorced and not working full-time. my sis is probably headed towards divorce but how does healthcare coverage work. her kids will be covered thru their dad but since she is a full-time mom (part time worker) what happens for her healthcare coverage?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User
Re: after the divorce

Once the divorce is final, she will need to get her own insurance. She will no longer be covered under her ex-husband.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
(male)

kevpark HB User

She should also get a full-time job, if possible, that has health insurance benefits. Even if they may be only for her, she will be able to use her remaining money for her kids' benefits rather than have to split her money on her own benefits and her kids'

If she can't get a full-time job, then she can still hire a good lawyer so that even though she can't get benefits through her ex-husband, her kids may still be able to as part of the alimony/child support settlement. Especially the child support part. But, she has to get the best lawyer possible.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

It may depend on the state, but I kept my coverage. It was one of my conditions in the divorce.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User

i did read somewhere that if she cant keep her coverage she could get her attorney to have him pay for cobra ins for 3 years. especially since the reason for the divorce is infidelity on his part.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Depending on the ins coverage, some compaines have a year coverage after a divorce she needs to check the policy.
some ins comp have a clause of divorce if she can afford the primiums they will just keep her on but revise the policy as her being a single parent, she needs to check it out....depending on the insurance company.??

what she may need to do if she is working part time have her to ask her boss if she can get enough hours to quilfy her for full coverage with her job? if she can do that then she needs to put her and her kids on it.

Working part time and being a mom/ takling care of her kids the ins coverage would be expensive but worth ever penny if she can get low preimiums and a detuctable that she can afford she needs to check out different insurance compaines.
until then, pray that her and her kids stay healthy.

her ex can keep the children on the insurance so that would help her...

Old 07-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Depending on how amicable the divorce ends up being, I wouldn't rely on having his coverage continue if they are on bad terms. I'm just sayin, I've seen some brutal divorces where there was no way that would be agreed upon. Men will pay to support their kids sure but their ex wife? Not where I come from.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User

how does alimony work these days? i think i read that because they have 2 kids that she will be getting 25% of his income.

Last edited by MOM23ANGELS; 07-28-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOM23ANGELS View Post
how does alimony work these days? i think i read that because they have 2 kids that she will be getting 25% of his income.
alimony is all but dead now-a-days......
she will get child support, probably not alimony unless she has a savy lawyer

she should be asking these questions to her lawyer

Old 07-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User

she has an appointment next week but i was just curious myself.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOM23ANGELS View Post
she has an appointment next week but i was just curious myself.
have her make a list.....maybe even help her, 2 heads are better than one.
she can go in there prepared with her list of questions

Old 07-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
(male)

kevpark HB User

Make sure her lawyer makes sure that the child health insurance is part of the child support overall package. Otherwise, the child support payments won't be enough for child health benefits.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Is the Divorce Final?
if not maybe she can seek/ask her ex to pay or keep the kids on his policy until she gets on her feet like a year or so? other wise not much she can do other than check out different ins compaines....maybe check out the state welfair system, food stamps, healthcoverage, wick, and other programs out there.
Don't be embarressed for help ...its ok... maybe SSSI? the insurance world is changing , so maybe theres hope out there!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #14
(female)

MOM23ANGELS HB User

welfare is not applicable as she and her husband make a decent living. i was just curious as to what she would be entitled to as he is the one that went outside the marriage.

she will find out next week but has already been informed by a family friend (attorney but divorce is not his field) that her husband is pretty much "screwed".

Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

none of that matters.....who did what, who wronged who.....

all that matters is that the marriage is dissolving

the court doesn't care who cheated on who......that's a misnomer.....a myth

not sure where you live, but in Illinois, it's a no-fault state.....
it doesn't matter whose "fault" it is

Closed Thread