It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2004, 03:44 PM   #1

eazeppelin HB User
allergies and vertigo-new member here

I'm 19 and I have been experiencing mild vertigo and the feeling of being unbalanced, and a rocking chair sensation for the past week. I once had a vertigo problem four years ago, also during the summer. I feel a fullness in my head and never suffer headaches or migraines, but sinus pain. I went to my doctor and after looking at my history of seasonal allergies (treated with allegra) and yearly sinus infections he believes my vertigo has been caused by allergies. I am going to the ENT soon to be checked for allergies and inner ear problem. Has anyone had balance problems resulting from allergies?

Old 07-21-2004, 03:52 PM   #2

eazeppelin HB User
Re: allergies and vertigo-new member here

forgot to add I feel dry sinuses, although my head feels full. My seasonal allergy is pollen in march and I know when I have trouble because my eyes itch/water, nose runs, but during the summer I have no symptoms like that. Anyone out there in a similiar situation or am I crazy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2004, 04:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Oh yeah,,,,It's no fun either. I didn't really have all the typical allergy symptoms and thought I had a brain tumor. It was awful. I felt like that for almost two weeks before I finally sat in the emergency room and had a CT scan that determined I have a chronic sinus infection. I took antibiotics for 6 weeks and my doc has me on Singulair now. It's working and I haven't had another episode since, but every once in awhile I get a slight feeling of a stuffy head. Funny thing allergies. If I were you I would make sure there is no sinus infection, plugged ears and then start the rule out process. Hopefully you will feel better soon.

Old 07-22-2004, 06:24 PM   #4

aubsdad HB User

get that same unbalanced from my sinuses, It sucks.
make sure you get a sinus CT scan.
wish you well

Old 07-22-2004, 10:43 PM   #5

claireoz HB User

Can I ask what people do for vertigo resulting from allergic sinuses? I've had 2 CT scans and although the allergy has gone down in most of the sinus cavaties from all the drugs I've been on, the frontal sinuses are still really inflamed, almost closed, and that's where I feel most of my headeaches and dizziness is coming from. I would love to know how to combat it!

Old 07-23-2004, 08:16 AM   #6

stitcher HB User

I can relate to all of you that are experienceing dizziness/vertigo associated with allergies. I had a viral infection in in right ear last year which was labeled "Vestibular Neuritis" I was dizzy, had fullness in my right, tinnitis, motion sensitivity, etc. It gradually improved over 10 months with the help of vestibular exercies. I now have the fullness back in BOTH ears, my eustachian tubes feel blocked and full, tinnitis continues and dizziness is intermittent with motion. Dr. has me on Allegra and Nasonex spray. Nothing is helping the stuffiness! I also use Antivert and Antivan for dizziness which works great. Antivert is a vestibular antihistimine and can stop the dizziness. Luckily I am not bothered by much sedation frrom it. The Ativan controls the anxiety I get from being dizzy. Antivert is 25 mg of meclizine, known as " Bonnine" over the counter. You can try it without an Rx. I was treated with allergy injections for 10 years but stopped when I left NJ 20 years ago. I am now in NE Pa and we have had a very wet, cool summer in the mountains. I was previously allergic to mold/ etc. ENT suggested I get another allergy evualation and a tympanogram to measure the pressure/fluid in my middle ear. This is particularly bothersome and is making me very anxious. I have already lost 55% of the balance in my right ear due to the past viral infection but my hearing is VERY acute. Any loud noises are extremely irritating. Interesting that I would be sensitive to noise. Would think the opposite, like loss of hearing if I was truly bocked up. Anyway, I would love to "chat" with anyone that is experiencing the same symptoms. I have no runny nose and only slight sinus congestion. Dr. also thinks my Synthroid for Hypothyroism might be too high. Being Hyperthyroid can also cause dizziness. I don't think this is the reason though. My ears have ALWAYS been sensitive to dizziness when my allergies acted up. I am anxious to get to an allergist for a new full workup.....

Old 07-23-2004, 08:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User

Sinus problems can certainly cause dizziness. II had this problem last December, and now I'm having it again (I see my ENT today).

It's a feeling of being in a descending airplane -an "unbalanced" feeling. The sinus cavities swell and then press on the Eustachian Tubes, etc. From what I've seen, this can be caused by severe allergies or sinus infections (bacterial sinusitis).

I had sinus surgery in March, and for a while, everything was great. Then I had a routine endoscopy done a month ago -24 hours later, I started getting dizzy again. Either the procedure inflammed the sinuses, or bacteria was re-introduced.

I irrigate using a machine (Grossan Hydropulse) twice a day. This helps keep the sinuses clear of bacteria, but doesn't do much for the pressure and dizziness.

I have a dust allergy, and this type of allergy is basically impossible to control. You can do your best to dust-proof the house, but you can't do anything about the weather.

Old 07-23-2004, 11:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

Stitcher: I have the exact same thing going on. My symptoms started in June where I felt like I had a cold, but it was/is an allergy problem. Both of my ears feel full and sometimes I get a sharp pain in my left ear. I get a dizzy sensation in the middle of my forehead between my eyes and feel off-balance. I also got allergy injections for 10 years. I always have a dry blood encrusted nose and very slight nasal congestion. I've been trying so hard NOT to see a Dr. for this b/c I don't have warm fuzzy feelings for Drs. I started going to Acupuncture again hoping that would help, but so far it isn't. I've always had sensitive ears also.

Old 07-23-2004, 01:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Hi, I usually post on the stress and anxiety board, because the people there know what dizziness feels like. I have been through so many tests that I have had it with these doctors. I have been dizzy for 5 months now, and have not had a "normal" day since!I have constant pressure behind my nose and forehead, but without constant congestion. I also have had trouble focusing and reading at times. I currently take 20mg of paxil for the anxiety that I have developed from this, and nothing else. The antivert did nothing but make me feel like a zombie. I must say though, I am glad that others out there feel like me too!

Old 07-23-2004, 11:27 PM   #10

cicka HB User

Dizzygirl, we know how you feel too. : ) I've been dizzy for over 2 years now and there's folks here that have been dizzy longer! Unfortunatelly, it seems noone is really being helped. They have yet to make a med that will help us with the dizziness and not turn us into zombies. It does sure help though to be able to talk to people about it, so you know you don't feel alone. Amazing, how many of us get anxiety and depression resulting from our symptoms!
Stitcher, What did you mean by this " I have already lost 55% of the balance in my right ear due to the past viral infection"? Does it mean that the infection has done a premanent damage? I think I read once something like that, but I didn't think it could be so drastic!

Old 07-26-2004, 10:58 PM   #11

claireoz HB User

Yeah, I can relate to the anxiety note. I've gone full circle wth this whole thing and seeing as an ENT has treated me for my sinus congestion, but I'm still dizzy, they think it can't be anything else BUT anxiety. So now I'm taking Lexapro which I REALLY don't want to be taking because I'm sure the anxiety is only a result of having this dizziness so long and not wanting to go out to like a crowded pub or something that's going to make it 10 times worse!! I also hate the anti-dep meds cos the side effects of them are similar to what I'm already feeling with the allergies (eg. headache, dizziness) so then you don't know whether to blame the medication or your allergies!!

Old 07-27-2004, 06:28 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

These doctors that keep prescribing anti-stress meds make me crazy! Yes dizzyness can cause stress, but if they treat the REAL problem there would be no need for anti-stress medications.
Someone that posted here said they were on Allegra. Be careful with that as I was on it for awhile myself and guess what one of the side effects is??? MAY CAUSE DIZZYNESS!!!!!! UUUGGHHHHH!!!!
If you're already dizzy, why would you want to take a medication that will make it worse? Well it made mine worse and I told my doctor that I refused to take it. He put me on Singulair and I haven't had a problem since. My dizzyness was cause by a chronic sinus infection, and after 6 weeks of antibiotics and Singulair, I finally feel normal again.
Please dont' let your doctors just write your symptoms off as stress and give you anti-stress drugs. Make them fix the real problem!

Old 07-27-2004, 03:17 PM   #13

golsoam HB User
i have the same problem

someone on here posted that taking Chlortrimeton (spelling is off) helped him so you may want to search on that. also get a Hepa filter and wear a dust mask when you clean. i am a clean freak now bc i am so scared of getting sick and dizzy, i guess you do what you gotta do!!

Closed Thread