It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
(female)

PhishinPNuT HB User
Unhappy Vertigo - how long?

I was diagnosed last week (tuesday) with an inner ear infection. I started having symptoms a week ago Sunday, so I've been feeling vertigo for a week and a half, the symptoms seemed to get better, but now they're back and strong like they originally were.
Should I be concerned?
How long can it take to get better?

Old 01-06-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User
Re: Vertigo - how long?

Hi and welcome. Sorry you are experiencing labyrinthitis - as for recovery - how long is a piece of string?!! It is more than likely you will be one of the lucky ones andf this will be ancient history in 4-8 weeks. Some (like me) arent so lucky. But it is far less common to be like me. My advice is dont take any vestibular medication and keep as active as possible whilst also making sure you have adequate rest. You'll be fine. xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2005, 03:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kcgage HB User

How long have you had it for CRAZYLABYRINTH? I'm going on at least 4-6 months......is that normal?

Old 01-06-2005, 03:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

2 years Ive had it...nothing is "normal" for this though I have been told by a reputable neurotologist and an ENT inner ear dysfunction from labyrinthitis can go on for a long time...so nothing is "abnormal" with this. Probably the mean on here is 1 year though willsmommy had it 3 years and some more... 4/5 mths - pretty normal!

xxx

Old 01-06-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishinPNuT
How long can it take to get better?
Hi and welcome....CL is quite right. There's just no way of knowing how long it will stick around. I know at least 3 people who got hit very hard initially and recovered completely in 6 weeks. Another, who used to be on these boards, had labs and then terrible BPPV all of which cleared up completely in 4 months. For me it's been unbelievably gradual in the recovery process. I'm probably 97% and in month 17.

Don't frett about the time span though. I did at first and caused myself needless amounts of stress. Remember it does go away first and foremost and you are not stuck with this for life. Take one day at a time and keep an eye on the anxiety sysmptoms that often come with this. I took the occasional valium when anxiety was bad to have a break.

Hang in there...all will be well.....Scott

Old 01-07-2005, 06:23 AM   #6
(female)

PhishinPNuT HB User

well I guess I'll just fasten my seatbelt and hang on for the ride then, thanks for the input people, I greatly appreciate it. I haven't had any anxiety issues with this (yet) so I'll count my blessings...

Old 01-07-2005, 06:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

One thing I will say is...if this continues for you (which I hope it doesnt) - get support/help from the start as you dont realise the toll it takes on you. I had this over 1 yr before anxiety/depression (albeit mild) cropped up.

Good luck xxx

Old 01-07-2005, 05:07 PM   #8
(male)

BennyGibb HB User

Just to back up what other people have said...

In the majority of patients (60%+) they recover fully within 6 weeks. A few people take a lot longer (months or years), and obviously theres a huge gap between the two (where everyone else fits in).... When you take into account other aggrevating factors (ie, people with numerous other problems) then the odds are stacked in your favour.

Chill out, take it easy - but remain active and it will soon ease up...

Old 01-07-2005, 10:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishinPNuT
well I guess I'll just fasten my seatbelt and hang on for the ride then, thanks for the input people, I greatly appreciate it. I haven't had any anxiety issues with this (yet) so I'll count my blessings...
That's a very good sign I think....it means your brain get get on with the compensation process without hinderance....but as CL said, keep an eye on it just in case.

S

Closed Thread