It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

dizzy2 HB User
Another Vertigo Attack!

Hey all, thought I would let you know that it finally happened, I had another attack of vertigo. This was my second one. I thought I had gotten off somewhat easy, having had one true vertigo attack. I was going to bed last night when I noticed I felt off-balance and dizzy. When I laid down in bed, I was spinning. If I laid on my right side, the wall started to move. I stayed on my left side all night, since that only made me feel woozy, but not like the room was spinning. I have an appt. to see the neuro-oto guy at 2 pm. Does this sound familiar to anybody. Does this tell me once and for all that it is a problem with my right ear? Any info would be great! Today, I am just really tired and off. I thought it was getting better and then this. Like we all have said, that always seems to be the case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User
Re: Another Vertigo Attack!

Hey Dizzy2,
Sorry to hear about your attack, I would never wish that crap on anyone! It sounds suspiciously to me like a BPPV attack if it was worse lying in one particular position. Have you done any manoeuvers?
You have probably been to the doctor by now depending on your time zone, hope you got some answers, kind of coincidental with the timing of the attack.
I really hope you are feeling better and the spins have stopped.
Let us know how it worked out at the apt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 06:06 PM   #3
(female)

dizzy2 HB User

Yes, I have seen the doctor. He moved my head around in different directions and put some goggles on my eyes that check for movement, but there was none. He does not think it is BPPV. So, I am still without answers. I am not spinning anymore, just the hungover feeling. Thanks for your concern, it does help that I know I am not the only person dealing with this. I just want it to go away!!!!!

Old 04-29-2005, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User

That is too weird! Does he not have any idea as to what it is? Weird too that it came and went so fast, but must be worrying when you don't know if another attack is coming. How long did the actual spinning last?
Hope that's the last of it for you.
Where did he leave you in terms of future testing or figuring this out?

Old 04-29-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
(female)

tip2mol HB User

Look up Meniere's and see if this fits any of your problems.
Vertigo is one of its symptoms.
I suffer from Meniere's and at least after finding out what was going on with me, I am not as scared when it happens. It has greatly affected my life and I can't work due to it and severe allergic reactions- but I can manage some of the symptoms that go along with it- now that I know what "It" is!

Take care

Old 04-30-2005, 02:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi Dizzy2
So sorry to hear about your vertigo attack. You must be so annoyed/upset about it.
I am surprised though that you have had no longer lasting dizzyness from it (which is really good!) - when I have had vertigo after the first time the dizzyness lasted at least a week, before it started to subside.

How are you feeling now? Are you able to do everything you could before the attack? What happens next wrt testing, seeing the neuro-oto?

Best wishes and take care
Tesss

Old 04-30-2005, 08:10 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User

Hi again Dizzy2
When I first read your post all i could think the vertigo could be was BPPV (probably because that is what I have), but after reading what tip2mol said, it made me think of my father in law who has menieres disease.
He gets these crazy vertigo attacks which last anywhere from 1 to 2 hours and once they have passed he goes through the hangover stage and then eventually becomes okay.
He has had about 3 attacks which were every 6 months and then he started drinking tons of water and hasn't had an attack since. Keeping the fluid level up seems to do the trick for him. Did the doctor suggest that menieres could be the culprit? Have you had any hearing loss (I believe that is one of the symptoms)
HOpe you are feeling better today
FC

Old 04-30-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
(male)

Rick49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy2
Yes, I have seen the doctor. He moved my head around in different directions and put some goggles on my eyes that check for movement, but there was none. He does not think it is BPPV. So, I am still without answers. I am not spinning anymore, just the hungover feeling. Thanks for your concern, it does help that I know I am not the only person dealing with this. I just want it to go away!!!!!
...My attacks of BPPV come and go and you may not have had any BPPV symptoms when you were in the office. What you described is very BPPVish. Do a little internet reading on BPPV and try the dix-halpike or epley as a diagnostic tool and then you will have more infor for your doc the next time you see him.

Rick

Old 04-30-2005, 11:21 AM   #9
(female)

lizzy33 HB User

Hi,

I dont post here much anymore. I had Labs/VN - started 18 months ago now. Anyway to cut a long story short, I am MUCH better - still get blips (having one at the moment) but they dont last long. Put this recent one down to a recent weekend in Barcelona. Sightseeing, walking for miles, too much alcohol and flights!! (seemed to have overdone it a little!).

Just wanted to add, from what you have posted, this definitely sounds like BPPV rather than Meniere's. With Meniere's, I dont think it would have mattered which ear you lay on - Meniere's attacks are pretty horrendous. My doc told me "you would KNOW if you had Meniere's".

I'm sure Subs will advise on the BPPV side of things. Hi Subs if you read this.

Take Care, try not to worry. Of all the inner ear things, I think BPPV is the most "treatable".

Lizzy x

Old 04-30-2005, 11:27 AM   #10
(female)

dizzy2 HB User

To all: The vertigo happened Thursday night and yes, I am still feeling woozy. Worse than before. I usually have just some off and on dizziness and off-balance feelings. I am now back where I was a couple months ago, with the drunk feeling. Meniere's had been mentioned by the ENT, but he does not think so cause I have no hearing loss. When the vertigo happened thursday, there was no ear ringing either. The neuro-oto guy said that it was not BPPV cause the "hallpike" was negative. But, I had the vertigo starting at about 10 pm Thursday and did not see him until 3 pm Friday. I really don't know what to think. Now, I will see his associate who specializes in neurology and balance disorders. All of my tests are normal so far. I still am kinda scared. Thinking it may be some weird thing like MS, Lyme disease, Lupus, etc...Thanks for all of the replys. And how can the ear guy say it is not my ears, when for 5 months, they are plugged up, hurt at times, ring at times, etc...Again, this all started when I caught a cold from my husband. I keep asking if it could be labs, and he won't say for sure yet. Labs would not show up on a test or xray right?? Have a good weekend all. I stayed home from work to relax...the first time I have called in sick in 5 years!!!

Old 05-01-2005, 04:08 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User

Hey Dizzy2, thought this was interesting and made me think of your recent attack. HOpe you are recovering well.

"Not all patients with BPPV have nystagmus or vertigo following the
Hallpike maneuver, possibly because the response has been fatigued by
natural head movements prior to testing. So, the lack of a response does
not rule out BPPV. In addition, it has been shown that patients with
disorders other than BPPV may display nystagmus after the Hallpike
maneuver, although these patients fail to meet criteria such as latency
and fatiguability."

Old 05-02-2005, 11:08 AM   #12
(female)

dizzy2 HB User

Firechick and all: Thanks for the info. I actually searched the internet some more about BPPV and it does sound like that. I also read where you don't necessarily have the nystagmus with it. If I was having vertigo while on the right side, that has to ears, right? I do feel a bit better. I worked yesterday and drove myself. Been really tired. I am going to take every bit of advice I can, I will drink lots of water, eat bananas, etc.. if it means I will feel better. I want to get a diagnosis, so I can treat this. I still wonder too about Labs, since I was sick with the first episode. Does BPPV make you feel bad in between episodes or do you feel "normal"? I have only had on and off days of feeling normal since November!

Old 05-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User

Hey Dizzy2
I would still do the MEP regardless, I can't imagine it would hurt if you don't have BPPV, and if you do, well you could be fixing the problem. If you do it and get no vertigo at all, then perhaps it is something else.
I remember when I was at my GP's office last summer after my first BPPV attack, he put me through a positioning thing so quickly that with the latency I was experiencing I didn't even get any vertigo. At the time I didn't know what he was testing for and I didn't know half of what I know now. Later I took some advice from a friend about the MEP and managed to get myself back into shape, enough to get back to work.
Hope you are feeling better!
P.S. Oh, and if the vertigo was while lying on the right side, you probably should start with the right side down (if Subs is reading he may be able to confirm, see his reply to Katkin about a test to determine which side you may have it on)

Last edited by firechick; 05-02-2005 at 04:41 PM.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:52 PM   #14
(female)

dizzy2 HB User

I don't even know what MEP is or any of the exercises you all talk about. None have been given to me yet. I have read about them online, but never done them. If I knew what to do, I might try them. Yeah, like I said, he saw me about 17-18 hours after the vertigo attack!! Then quickly moved me up and down and back and forth to test for nystagmus.

Old 05-02-2005, 05:30 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Cool Re: Another Vertigo Attack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy2
I don't even know what MEP is or any of the exercises you all talk about. None have been given to me yet. I have read about them online, but never done them. If I knew what to do, I might try them. Yeah, like I said, he saw me about 17-18 hours after the vertigo attack!! Then quickly moved me up and down and back and forth to test for nystagmus.
Hi Dizzy2

Sure sounds like BPPV on the right side---not unusual that he did not detect anything---that long--after

---the MEP info/instructions & a video---is located in the Information Archive---which is the first post on this board---scroll down to:

Self-treatment of BPPV - Modified Epley Procedure (MEP) - A Radtke et al

Article - [url]http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/63/1/150[/url]
Video - [url]http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/63/1/150/DC1[/url]

Agree with Firechick---just follow the instructions for the right side---and as it turns out---the video is for that side---so---it is tailored made---for those of us---with BPPV on the right side.....for me I went from Lab's to BPPV--also---not unusual with this junk....and like you---had one BPPV episode--followed by a compensation period---followed by another BPPV episode---did the MEP to clear the rocks out of the right ear---then VRT's---to speed up---the compensation---went to full compensation(100% gone) about two years ago...sort of typical...for this junk(BPPV)...

Last edited by Subs30; 05-02-2005 at 05:31 PM.

Closed Thread