It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 11:58 PM   #1
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User
Nerve causing fluttering muscle spasms, vertigo, puking

Hi. Does anyone have muscle spasms due to their sciatic nerve acting up?

Sometimes I can feel this flutter at the back of my leg where it meets the butt, and in the hip and thigh. It's always accompanied by nerve pain first (I have sciatic nerve damage from herniated disk compressing nerve. Surgery 10 mons ago). And it will flutter for days.

I can put my hand on my leg and it feels like a bird trapped under my skin, fluttering against my hand. I was at PT when it started up a few days ago and I had her put her hand on my leg and she coujld feel it fluttering. She said the nerve is acting up causing the muscle to spasm, but she had never felt a flutter on someone in that spot before at the juncture of the thigh and butt in back. Prior to the flutter I was feeling that deep butt pain, deep in the middle butt cheek, that is also the sciatic. I had thought it was only muscle, but learned it was the sciatic.

She said it could be that the nerve was somehow aggravated. She had me do stretches, all of which intensified it, and then she pressed her hand down on it to see if that would help and I got so dizzy I thought I was leaving my body. when the nerve acts up and presure is applied to it during PT, I either feel like suddenly puking or get major vertigo.

She said my nerve gets real upset, more so than she sees on most people. and told me to ice my back and leg. But that doesn't always help. It didn't this time. Or maybe it did but not enough.

Does anyone else experience this flutter and does anything help? The only thing that seems to help is giving the nerve time to calm down and not aggravate it more.

I had gone in for my female exam the day before which she couldn't do becuase it was too painful - I guess those nerves travel around to the abdomen. The PT thinks this exam aggravated my nerve.

Anyways, it's a strange feeling to feel a bird under your skin. The muscle usually doesn't hurt when it spasms like that, but what does hurt is the leg. It feels like a cord is being pulled real taught right down the middle inside of the leg - that's the sciatic nerve too she said. I can't believe how much pain one darn nerve can generate!

I feel like this darn nerve has taken over my body with a mind of its own. Like an alien creature inhabiting my body that I have no control over. It's willful, stubborn, and keeps its own schedule.

I placed my husband's hand on my leg to feel the flutter and he yanked it away like I had an alien trapped under my skin! It's a freaky feeling. Last week at PT she was doing a simple massage on my back when it felt like a worm crawling inside my spine and I nearly puked. She had to stop, so obviously, that nerve is aggravated. That really felt like the invasion of the body snatchers. And i realized all those movies where some alien is crawling around in your body, if it were real, would feel just like that, and though it wasn't the most painful sensation, it was the most unpleasant I've ever experienced.

Anyone else experiencing major vertigo and nausea and crawling, fluttering with their nerve? I wonder if this is normal. The PT acted like it was a bit extreme.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: Nerve causing fluttering muscle spasms, vertigo, puking

I defintately have experienced the fluttering. About two days after my disc was injured really bad I got pain shooting down the back of my leg then after the pain would go away for the entire day the nerve caused my muscles to flutter. First it was in my butt cheek then the back of my leg started fluttering then my calf then my foot on the left side. In one days time the fluttering moved all the way down my leg and then the next day when I woke up all of those areas that had fluttered were numb. My foot most of all. My calf did most of the fluttering and I lost a lot of strength in my calf. It is my S1 sciatic nerve that was compressed and caused all of the fluttering, pain and numbness. It's like you can follow a path down the leg and tell exactly where the nerve runs. My surgeon said that that nerve actually sends signals to the muscles to contract and move. So it signals the muscles to work basically so you can walk and move your leg. So I think that if the nerve is damaged then the signal is being messed up and not firing correctly. So it is your nerve telling your muscle to contract but it's muttled and the contractions turn into fluttering or sporatic signals.

Closed Thread