It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User
Virus Vertigo

hey, so recently i got dizzy all the sudden, out of no where, freaked me out, went to doctor cause my head kept feeling spaced out and weird, like it was about to spin and what not, all off balance.. so she checks me, and finds my limphnodes are all swollen, and says i got a virus., which in turn is causin the vertigo.. thus virus vertigo.. so its been a week, was freakin out cuz it wasnt going away, but she says there's no time limit with this kind of thing and im fine.. but i feel like im gonna go crazy cuz i want to feel normal again.. so im looking for people who've had this before, cuz ive read some things that say this can last for a couple or more weeks.. and my friend had it, said it lasted a week and a half for him.. does anybody else know anything bout this? hopefully im posting in the right forum.. thanks

~scott

Old 09-18-2005, 03:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Re: Virus Vertigo

Hi Scott
Yes a virus can cause vertigo, as you say. Often it just causes inflammation in the ear which causes the vertigo. This should go within a couple of weeks although it can take 6 weeks for the inflammation to go down. Rest lots, drink lots of fluids, try to keep doing as much as you can. How do you feel now, do you have other symptoms? Are you feeling nauseaus, weak, are you able to do very much?

I have labyrinthitis which is caused by a virus and causes vertigo at the start, have a look for that on the net. Sometimes this can last longer when damage is done to the ear by the virus. Hopefully you will be fine in a few weeks, but just warning you that some take longer than 6 weeks.

Try not to worry too much, you will get better. try to keep active which will help the body to cope with the dizzyness.
Best wishes
Tesss

Last edited by Tesss; 09-18-2005 at 03:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

yeah, the initial bout was spinning dizziness,since then i've been having that 24/7 weird tilting off balance feeling. i was nauseaus and felt weak every now and then.. but i think i may be feelin a bit better now in that respect. especially since i'm not worrying as much after reading other people have this too. but the thing is i had acl and meniscus recontructive surgery a few weeks ago.. so i cant go out and jog or clear my head you know. so i just sit around the house, worrying myself to death.. haha.. but thanks for the information. cuz i really didnt even know something like this existed until i went to doctor, and she seemed like it was no big deal, just told me to drink lots of fluids and it will go away. i even called her the day after, and the day after that cause i wasn't convinced it would ever go away.. so finally she kinda chewed me out about not worrying about it. so i figured i'd come online to talk to people who've had it and could tell me more.. thanks for the info.. as far as being active im trying to just do more now.. walk around with crutches and what not.

you said something about inflamation, is that what im feeling now? since the actual spinning sensation isn't happening? just the weird spaced out garbage. also does anybody know how you get this? is it caused by something else? like allergies, or sinus problems.. cause my doctor actually asked me if i smoked after looking in my sinuses.. and i don't so... yuck.. anywayz, thanks again tess for the help. its much appreciated

Old 09-18-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

crazylabyrinth HB User

You have what is called Labyrinthitis. There should be info on it in our info archive at the top of the board but is most commonly caused by viruses - often the common cold virus. You can be left with inflammation (most commonly) which will subside - or damage - which doesnt subside but the brain compensates for - people can need something called Vestibular Rehab Therapy to help the compensate.

Hopefully you will be of the lucky ones - who will be able to wave goodbye to this a few weeks down the line...

xxx

Old 09-18-2005, 09:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

yeah i hope so.. tired of feeling this way and its only been like a week and 3 days. i was wondering too, i think tess asked if i had symtoms like this.. but is it normal to feel like weak or shakey.. its a weird feeling and hard to explain, weak probably says it best. like my legs head, body. and it comes and goes with the spaced out head feeling.. like this morning i thought i was feeling a little better, so i went outside and milled around, then later in the afternoon it kinda came back to where i felt more spaced out and lousy again.. just wondering if this is the normal progression until it gets better and totally gets out of my system. cause it seems that people say this condition gets better real slow if im understanding it correctly.. and every now and then i get a ringing sound in my ear,, and the buzzing sound in my ears when its quiet at night and im in bed... got it before i had this viral vertigo thing but now it seems louder and ears seem more sensitive to noise... also, is it okay to work out? like lift weights with this? will it make it any worse? if so lemme kno, cuz i was gonna start lifting again.. to get my mind off this crappy feeling.

if anybody can get back to this that'd be great.. thanks

~scott

Last edited by Sco24; 09-18-2005 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Left question out.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hi Scott
All the symptoms you describe sound exactly like me. It is horrible - I had the shaky legs for a long time and all the other symptoms. Its all to do with the body coping with the dizzyness and not always coping so well with other normal stuff as its having to work so hard to deal with the dizzyness. You will find that some days are better than others and even periods within the day will be better or worse. This is all totally normal and typical. I dont think really there is much you can do to make these symptoms go - I think drinking fluids and resting and doing what exercise you can.

If you feel well enough to lift some weights then go for it. Just keep an eye on how you are feeling and stop if you feel bad - but this shouldn't make you feel worse necessarily. I think its a good idea to do other stuff that you enjoy if you can.
Hope you are getting better - sorry I don't know what the stuff is you had - acl and meniscus recontructive surgery but I hope its not causing too much pain or discomfort.

Best wishes
Tesss

Old 09-19-2005, 04:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

yeah it sucks big time..but once the knee gets better i think i'll deal with this head thing better also..

im going to go see hopefully here pretty soon, a ent guy to get his opinion on the matter. but also there's some doctors down in LA, who do the alternative medicine thing, and the woman i saw feels its due to Mold exposure in my home. so we're gnona try to clean that out, its really bad in the bathrooms, and she feels i'll get better a lot quicker.. but if anybody wants some information on these doctors i'm telling you they're good.. saved my neighbors life when normal medicine couldn't help her. also others i know have been helped tremendously. i'll see how she helps me out and let everybody know.. also she feels the shakey feeling is the body fighting the virus, and thus releasing toxins into the muscles and body. interesting stuff if it proves correct. we'll see. cuz last night didnt go to sleep till 5 30 feelin all shakey and weak and lightheaded, nasty feeling.

~Scott

Closed Thread