It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
(female)

dizzyt HB User
Question Vertigo helped with earplug (?)

Hi all. I have what seems to be a strange situation. Let me give a little background on myself first. I am 35 years old, I am completely deaf in my left ear, and have Meniere's Disease with a profound loss in the right ear. 32 weeks ago I had a dizzy spell (not unusual) but the vertigo never went away. I have been spinning non-stop since - yes, true vertigo. Right after the vertigo attack, my recruitment became unbearable and I developed Tulio's Phenomenon in my right ear (vertigo caused by loud sounds). It has been so bad that I've been unable to wear my hearing aid and I still fall with loud sounds. The constant vertigo isn't positional, subjectively. But I had an ENG a few weeks ago and I tested positive for BPPV in both ears. I haven't seen the doctor yet, I see him on the 25th. But BPPV does not address the constant vertigo nor the recruitment and Tulio's. Before the ENG the doctor suspected a dehiscence and a CT scan showed I *might* have one, but I can't get a CT scan at a high enough resolution to say for sure and I'm not a candidate for the VEMP - so there is no way to positively identify one.

I have used an ear plug when there were a lot of loud sounds. So just for the heck of it, Friday I decided to wear it all day and see if it helped. It was just basically something to do instead of lay in bed being depressed Well shortly after I put it in, the vertigo lessened. To my surprise, after being bedridden for 32 weeks I was able to clean the bathroom and bedroom and help my fiance run cabling under the house! Yesterday (Sat) and today I continued to wear the earplug. I even went to Walmart and the grocery without my wheelchair and I was OK. I still have vertigo, but it is MUCH less intense, I don't have the pressure in my ears nor the foggy-headed feeling, I don't get fast spins, and sometimes the vertigo seems to go away for a few seconds.

Wearing the earplug obvious is not the answer to all of my vertigo pproblems, but it helps a good bit - it's the difference in being bedridden or partially functional. This is odd to me. I just don't see how the earplug would help, unless my Tulio's is so severe that sounds I could barely hear are making me spin or maybe a Eustachian Tube problem? A dehiscence or PLF? Has anyone ever felt like I have and found the cause? Anyone have a clue as to why the earplug could be helping? My balance is still just as off as it was, but that is probably due to the Meniere's (I have no balance function on the non-MM side anyway).

Thanks for any thoughts or advice

EDIT: I forgot to say that I also hear my eyes move, both right and left but more when I look to the right. My voice sounds so loud to me that I feel like I am yelling at the top of my voice when I am told that I am talking normally. I hear my breathing very loud and other bodily functions, too Friday I heard a "thump" in my ears several times, not to the beat of my heart, just like someone was tapping on my head!

Last edited by dizzyt; 10-09-2005 at 08:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Re: Vertigo helped with earplug (?)

Wow what have you been going through. I had a couple of episodes of vertigo where it lasted for about 30 seconds and I don't know how you could function with that. Its interesting that the ear plug helped, Im glad that you found something that makes a difference. Unfortunately I can't help, but after reading your story I wanted to respond. I hope you find some answers soon, and get the help you need to get back to normality.
Best wishes and all the best

Old 10-14-2005, 08:40 PM   #3
(female)

dizzyt HB User
Re: Vertigo helped with earplug (?)

Thanks, Tesss

Closed Thread