It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 05:11 AM   #1
(female)

cuckoobirdy HB User
Question Vertigo and Migraines and Vestibular Test? Help!

Hello everyone,
I usually hang out on the Headaches board, but wandered over hear since I know have a Vertigo problem.
In July I celebrated one year with what has been diagnosed as hormonal migraines. However, my migraine diary has noted vertigo back in July 05, January 06, July 06 and right now.

I went to my neurologist yesterday and he doesn't feel the vertigo is necessarily associated with the migraines and wants me to go for the Vestibular test. I just wonder why it is that the vertigo comes before or after the migraines, but as he noted it doesn't subside when the migraine does.

Anyone have any experience with this? The Nurse Practitioner at my Internist office had my try Meclizine and I think that made everything worse. I still have vertigo and my vision is off.

Thanks for any help!

The following user gives a hug of support to cuckoobirdy:
cbg10 (12-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Cool Re: Vertigo and Migraines and Vestibular Test? Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoobirdy
Hello everyone,
I usually hang out on the Headaches board, but wandered over hear since I know have a Vertigo problem.
In July I celebrated one year with what has been diagnosed as hormonal migraines. However, my migraine diary has noted vertigo back in July 05, January 06, July 06 and right now.

I went to my neurologist yesterday and he doesn't feel the vertigo is necessarily associated with the migraines and wants me to go for the Vestibular test. I just wonder why it is that the vertigo comes before or after the migraines, but as he noted it doesn't subside when the migraine does.

Anyone have any experience with this? The Nurse Practitioner at my Internist office had my try Meclizine and I think that made everything worse. I still have vertigo and my vision is off.

Thanks for any help!
Don't have any direct experience with it---but if u go here:

[url]http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/migraine/mav.html[/url]

It is the web page for Prof/Dr Hain's Northwestern Univ web site("Sticky")---seems that---there could be a vestibular connection---but appears---inconclusive--at the present time, i.e.,

..."In practices focused on treating migraine, 27-42 % of patients report episodic vertigo (See table 1). A large number (about 36%) of these patients experienced vertigo during headache-free periods. The remainder experienced vertigo either just before or during the headache. The incidence of vertigo during the headache period was higher in patients with aura as opposed to in those without aura.

In practices focused on treating vertigo, 16-32% of patients have migraine (Savundra et al, 1997). The prevalence of migraine in the general population is 13% (Stewart et al, 1994).".....

The research info/web page was last updated on Aug 5 2006

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread