It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User
Question Rocking Vertigo associated with Panic Disorder!

Hi Everyone
I first want to say my heart goes out to you all that suffer from this horriable disorder. I myslef am a panic suffer and I have hyperventialtion syndrome as well. I am constantly in a mode that I feel like I walk around holding my breath which is very common in this disorder. My question is I have vertigo, it's more of a motion swaying sensation, like I am wobbly on my feet or I feel like I am in an elevator falling or dropping, I have been feeling like this for as long as I can remember having panic attacks now for about 9 years.. I feel drunk all day long without the drinking of course I am not so much spinning dizzy which is more common with inner ear disorders.. I am very intrested to know if there are any other suffers with this symptom as well??
I am told it can be panic and anxiety related, but I do feel this way ALL the time.. except when sleeping or laying down relaxed...
There is a condition called rocking vertigo that is common to be linked to anxiety disorders. I am questioning if this is what I am experincing as well as AM I the only one?? I can give another example have you ever been sitting still and something moves (like the car next to you) and you get the illusion that you moved?? You get that sick motion sensation and very lightheaded!
Does this make any sense TO ANYONE?? Or am I alone on this one?
It's driving me insane and I need to know if anyone else feels like this.. I often think this vertigo feeling is what is really causing the panic because when I feel this way my panic attacks kick in full force!!! ANY thoughts or your own expereinces with this would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance..
Boxerlover (wishing you all a panic free day!)

Last edited by boxerlover227; 10-27-2006 at 09:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2006, 02:40 AM   #2
(female)

langy HB User
Re: Rocking Vertigo associated with Panic Disorder!

hi boxerlover i too have had what you describing it comes and goes. i had it for 2 years then it went but when my anxiety gets worse then the balance starts to become a problem it also gets worse if i havent slept well or im stressed. i also do the holding my breath and i did think it was only me as id never heard of anyone else doing it.i find it makes me ache and go lightheaded and then when i do breath normally it doesnt feel right.you are not alone.hope you have a calmer day today langy x

Old 10-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
(male)

toddb HB User

i guess this is very much later than you posted. i hope you read it. i too have this vertigo or dizziness when i get panicked. throughout the years this has happened with the fearful attacks. lately the dizziness has gotten much worse than ever. usually i get more angry than i do scared about it. i hate vertigo and dizziness more than anything. its horrble. sometimes i even get it while i'm sitting or lying down. it feels like someone's pushing your head to the side. lately i've been scared of the vertigo cause i got or developed a pain in the back of the head and lots of neck pain. i've let this go on for months and months now. i have a deep fear of people period. when i have to go see them in hospitals its REALLY freaky. i would almost rather wait and see if the symtoms really started getting worse like a seizure or something. they haven't gotten any worse so i guess that's good.
and panic attacks are wierd. mine always seem to be about something. i'll get obssesed with something first like aids or brain tumor or other cancer. then it will turn into panic. seems i've got ocd that turns into panic and that gives me vertigo. but what causes ocd? trauma from the fear of thinking something horrible could happen? i wonder where our panic originates? anyway, we may be different in bodies but we are all one in spirit. and i panic with you.....

Old 10-28-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

Thanks guys!
I do feel better knowing I am not the only one who suffers..
I believe my panic originates through fear of death!!
I constantly worry that I am dying from an illness or heart problems, I believe it's called health anxiety, then it just snowballs from there and I start fearing death. I guess because death is so final and it's something we have no control over. So I guess in a very BIG way you are right we are diffrent in body but the same in spirit..
I just need to ask do you guys ever feel this way even when your not anxious? I mean it is definitly worse when I am anxious, but somedays I feel vertigo either way? I suffer from a lot of tension headaches, they are mainly chronic so I am thinking there is a connection between the two.
Thanks again.. Boxerlover

Old 10-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #5
(female)

langy HB User

hi yes i can get the vertigo even when im not overly anxious for example if ive not slept well,got a bad headache and in crowds.i also get bad headaches usually in the evening and nightime i presume its all the days anxiety building up.i hope this helps.youre not alone langy x

Old 10-29-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
(male)

toddb HB User

a couple times in the past i've been walking along say in the grocery store. and i get this zapping feeling. like a jolt of dizziness. that was when i wasn't having attacks. mostly the vertigo is from the attacks. its like feeling drunk. i think you said that earlier.
well, i'm about to find out what's going on in my neck and in the back of the head. in a couple days i will. wish me luck. and good luck to you too.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
(male)

bucks85 HB User

I have identical symptoms to you boxer. Have you experienced depersonalization? I get the feeling that i cant control my body and that im detached from myself. I also have constant vertigo where i feel like im spinning or moving when im really not. Its very scary and I'm gonna see a psychiatrist about it. I have started taking xanax the past couple days and it seems to help calm me down and feel more balanced, but I really don't want to become addicted and have to depend on it. I guess i just dont like the fact that I have to have meds to make me feel normal.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
(female)

Serenity/2 HB User

Hi,
I am new here. I just wanted to let you all know that you are not alone. I have the panic/anxiety disorder also. I have the dizziness or vertigo most days. Like someone said the feeling of an elevator or a falling sensation, being off balanced. I have actually fallen a couple of times, once I sprained my ankle pretty bad. Has anyone else fallen? I feel really dizzy in big department stores. My husband is probably happy that I just get what I need and get out of the store.
Does it sometimes feel like something is going on with your eyes? My eye doctor said I have a condition called papilloedema, that is where your eyes will show intercranial pressure, I had to get an MRI to rule out a brain tumor or MS, my MRI was normal.
I also have been diagnosed with a rare disorder called spasmodic torticollis or cervical dystonia. It is a movement disorder. My neck muscle is in a constant spasm and pulls to the right, anyone heard of this? My dizziness could have something to do with this disorder.
I had anxiety long before I was diagnosed with this. The panic attacks started about the same time my neck started pulling to the right.
I take prozac and I use ativan when needed.
I tell ya life is not easy is it? I pray alot and put my trust in God.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding,
in all your ways aknowledge him and He will make your paths straight,
He will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.
Proverbs 3:5-8

Take care everyone,
Audrey

Old 01-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #9
(female)

thompsx1000 HB User

Are you getting any better? I too have an elevator dropping feeling. It did go away for about a week but now it's back. What kind of medication are you on?

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-17-2007 at 01:14 PM.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
(female)

thompsx1000 HB User

Hello. I too am having this rocking, elevator dropping sensation. What types of treatment is available for this? And does it ever go away?

Old 01-19-2007, 06:28 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

I had viral labryintitis - VERTIGO. I have ongoing anxiety/panic problems. The panic I've gotten under control. They have vestibular centers. They have programs and excersices to help retrain the brain. Vertigo is sooooo HORRID!! I know a few other people that have this as well. I went to the vestibular place-Please for your own well being and sanity (it truely debilitates ones life) go and see what they say, let them help you. You do not have to live chronically with vertigo-YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LIVE WITH CHRONIC VERTIGO!!

Old 01-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #12
(female)

qingche HB User

I was diagnosed with vestibular disorder about 8 months ago. When I first experienced constant vertigo, I went to see a whole bunch of doctors and had tons of tests done. But nobody was able to tell what was wrong with me until finally a wonderful ENT doctor gave me the right diagnosis. Vestibular disorder has something to do with the imbalance of the inner ear pressure. I read about how vertigo can lead to anxiety and panic attacks, and I truly believe mine developed through my dizziness.

My ENT doctor put me on a vestibular rehab program for 2 months, and I got significantly better within a month. I was almost normal again after 2 months, so I "graduated" from the problem. The therapist ordered me to do the exercises at home everyday for as long as I needed, but of course at the time I felt well so I was lazy to do the exercises. Big mistake! Just a month or two after I stopped doing the exercises, I felt mildly dizzy again (which I ignored at the time, again BIG mistake) and it quickly lead to anxiety and my first panic attack on the subway (the place I feel dizzy and fear the most).

Now I have got my panic disorder under control through a fantastic therapy method, but I still have constant dizziness which makes me nervious from time to time. So I am just starting to do vestibular rehab exercises again. I know the exercises will help improve my vertigo problem. For the people out there with similar problems, please get your ears checked, mention the word "vestibular disorder" to your ENT doctor, and see if you have it. If so, doing therapy exercises will definitely help!

Good luck to all.

Last edited by qingche; 01-22-2007 at 09:51 AM.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #13
(female)

roxy824 HB User
Cool Re: Rocking Vertigo associated with Panic Disorder!

I just had my first major then a more minor panic attack. The first one was awful, I felt I couldn't breathe laying down...that I was choking. I was seasick and dizzy. I debated calling 911. I slept all night upright and expected more of the same from there on out. It didn't happen again. The second, way more mild was when my boyfriend of a year decided he didn't want to see me anymore, but forgot to tell me. Even though I'm down right now and have little self esteem, I couldn't believe the disrespect there. I actually woke up from a dead sleep panicking that I would never see him again. I don't want to do meds because in light of everything going on in my life, i rightfully should be depressed, but I can't keep going like this either. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 02-14-2007, 06:46 AM   #14
(male)

Tanzbaer HB User

Well. Drinking water seems to help me.

The constant nagging of my boyfriend doesn't.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:03 AM   #15
(male)

Uncle En HB User

Hi there. I have this sympton as well. I suffer from anxiety/panic. I had it really bad about 6 months ago and it has seemed to eased up a bit. it was at a point where sometimes I couldnt get out of bed. I have a real problem with elevators especially going down. Its a real pain in the butt. It makes me feel disorientated too. It will pass. Stay positive.

Closed Thread