It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

WalksGINGERly HB User
off Balance / dizziness / vertigo attacks? should I fly?

I am putting off a airline flight to visit family because of my problems with vertigo attcks, which I have had suffered with for 7 years now....

Is there any indication that flying could bring an attack on? i never flew before.

Does anyone have this problem of diziness etc and know of something you can take to prevent vertigo when you have to fly on an airplane?
Thanks

Old 11-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User
Re: off Balance / dizziness / vertigo attacks? should I fly?

Hi 12 months ago I went through the same as you, spoke to several docs and they all said it was ok to fly, the day before I nearly pulled out of going, but I did the flight was fine, I probably was better in the air than on the ground!
I'm off again shortly on another 12 and half hour flight and I have no worries.
I just took an over the counter sleep pill called nytol to calm me down.
Hope this helps.
Jayne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Cool Re: off Balance / dizziness / vertigo attacks? should I fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalksGINGERly
I am putting off a airline flight to visit family because of my problems with vertigo attcks, which I have had suffered with for 7 years now....

Is there any indication that flying could bring an attack on? i never flew before.

Does anyone have this problem of diziness etc and know of something you can take to prevent vertigo when you have to fly on an airplane?
Thanks
Hi

You can go here: (Dr/Prof Hain Northwestern Univ)

[url]http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/treatment/flying.html[/url]

..."Airplane Travel
Many people are concerned about airplane travel when they are dizzy. They are worried both that they may become even more dizzy when they fly, as well as that their underlying condition causing dizziness may be affected by flying. In most cases, these fears are unjustified. Flying does two things -- it may induce motion sickness, and it may stimulate the ear through pressure changes.

In small planes, dizziness may come from either or both mechanisms. In larger planes................."(go to web site for full article)

Last edited by Subs30; 11-29-2006 at 11:57 AM.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
(male)

crsurfer HB User
Re: off Balance / dizziness / vertigo attacks? should I fly?

I was diagnosed with menieres 4 years ago, I was also worried about air travel. I was told by my ENT to take claritin D and a anti inflammatory starting 24 hours before till 24 hours after. I have flown probably 5-6 times since with minimal problems. Good Luck!

Closed Thread