It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

velvetrance HB User
vertigo/dizziness causing memory loss and cognition problems

wow, im very happy i found this messageboard. for a while i thought i might have been out of luck finding anywhere where i could validate my symptoms with others. im going to shorten my story considerably but may add in other details as they become relevant.

the main symptom of my TMJ that is bothering me the most is not the pain or discomfort but rather the side effects associated with the dizziness and vertigo. mine is so bad that i have memory/cognition problems, poor peripheral vision, and hearing loss. i feel like im losing my mind. on top of that my jaw pain, while again, not my main concern, is so bad it renders me nauseas. i am currently undergoing splint therapy and im only still in my first week. im really apprehensive about it; im scared its not going to work. i want to be optimistic but im having a really hard time with it. i just want my life back.

i havent worked in 8 months, i barely leave my house, and i can no longer make art. it literally feels like my life has ended. i gain no sympathy from doctors because none of them can "see" the symptoms and i feel like a lot of them think im lying and only in there to get pills even though i threw down $2000 for a piece of plastic, desperate to have my life back. i feel like im completly alone right now. i have bouts of depression so bad that i've considered not fighting anymore. i can barely support myself because i can't work and i have only a few friends...

i guess what im needing right now is some kind of support. some validation that im not insane from people who would know. i want to know that "yes, you will have your old life back" and that my ability to see straight and function will be here again soon. any words would be helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: vertigo/dizziness causing memory loss and cognition problems

Well you are certainly not alone - check out some of my previous posts and you will see that I know exactly how you feel. I can't count how many drs I have been to and all the different "wild goose chases" I have been on in terms of diagnoses and treatments, not to mention loss of income and quality of life - needless to say I have been referred to many therapists, prescribed anti-depressants, pain meds and dismissed by many as "nuts" or exaggerating my symptoms. Luckily I finally found a tmj dentist who knows what this insidious condition can do since he suffered with it for many years himself.

Splint therapy will help but it will take time - I am now on my 4th set and today was measured for another one that will reposition my lower jaw. Since tmj can affect the entire body I would suggest that you not rely on the splint alone to fix everything. You might want to ask your tmj dr to refer you to a chiro, accupuncturist, cranial sacralist or physical therapist trained in tmj or cranial mgmt. Many of these therapies are covered by health insurance if you have it. My dizziness/vertigo, ear ringing, nausea and brain fog responded best to adjustments done by a Upper Cervical or NUCCA chiro.

Also if you are still not working look into filing for SSI or SSD - disability assistance - its not easy to prove tmj can be this dibilitating so look into retaining a lawyer to respresent you - many do not charge anything unless they win the approval and then its usually 25% of past disability benefits owed.

You are going to have highs and lows - from feeling desperate or hopeless to almost elated when some symtpoms start responding to treatment - its part of the joy ride we are on...so try and maintain a positive yet realistic attitude most of the time and when self-pity grabs a hold of you come visit with us and share what's going on. Feel better soon. TL

Old 01-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #3
(female)

velvetrance HB User

thanks for your words...ill get to reading some of your earlier stuff shortly.

yeah, im trying to remain optimistic. i dont want to try for disability yet cause i want to work, i need to get out of the house, but i dont know what kind of job would be that understanding of it. when would i notice results from the splint? i've had it in for a week now and it hurts like hell but im wondering when ill start to notice something...

Old 01-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

The first splint I gave several months - I think almost 9-10 - and afterwards I realized if its not helping within the first month or 2 move on - either the dr needs to try something different or you need to find someone else. The 2nd dr I went to tried to convince me that it could take more than a year before I would see any benefits yet I have seen many posts from members who got relief soon after they started wearing one. Obviously a respositioning splint is going to require some time since its moving your jaw and will require adjustments as your jaw responds. But if your symptoms are not easing up or getting somewhat better - don't waste too much time with it - either speak to your dr about it or see someone else.

Closed Thread