It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
(female)

Mistyjks HB User
Vertigo or something more?

Forgive me this is so long..but I want to get everything out there...About a month and a half ago while sitting at a restaurant for dinner, I had the oddest dizzy sensation. All of a sudden it seemed that the room was spinning around me. I sat there for a good minute before I even did anything. It lasted about 5 mins. Nothing else happened except that the room around me seemed to spin. Since then it happened anywheres from 1-4 times/week, not as strong or as long as that first one. The best way I could explain it was that the room around me was spinning but I was fine. Not a normal "head rush" dizzy. When I am at work, and it happens, I can focus on my computer monitor and make that stop spinning while the rest of the room and contents continue to seem spinning. If I move my eyes quickly, or turn my head the monitor will also start appearing to spin again. If it happens standing up, I feel that I am leaning to my left, and cannot stand straight.

I went to the drs 2weeks ago, and he felt it was Vertigo. He put me on Meclizine 12.5 mg 1-2 pills 4 times a day. To take for a week, and then off for a day to see if is still going on. If it is repeat for a week, and then off for a day. Do this for up to a month, and then if still there get a CAT scan of the brain. I've tried it for a week, and then off, still there so back on. Since about a week before going to the drs, I haven't had the full spell, it's a little different now. I feel the sensation pretty much all the time, but haven't had the full blown dizzy spell. I had a US for a nodule on my thyroid (just a follow up US) last week, and when they put the pillow under my shoulders to tilt my head up, it started, and I felt like I was going to roll off the bed. Once that settled, the rest of the time laying like this it looked like the ceiling was waving, almost like I was on a drug of some sort.

This sensation has continued for the entire 2 weeks even while on the meclizine. It doesn't appear to be stopping it at all, but then again it might be suppressing it to the point where it's not as bad?

I guess I want to know if others have experienced this, particularly being diagnosed with Vertigo. There are two ladies at work that have Vertigo and theres seems to be different than mine. When theirs hit, they are basically in bed all day, and also get sick. I'm concerned about something neurological going on, but not sure entirely what it could be. Again, these pills don't seem to be helping at all. I cannot look up, because that is when it seems to be most heightened.

I called the dr last week to let him know it didn't seem to be working, in case he wanted to update the dose or what. He put in a order for a CAT scan of the head, which will probably be done next week. When I was at the drs, he checked, I am assuming the dilation of my eyes, and did that a couple different times..he seemed hesitant whether he wanted to do the CAT scan there, but crossed out something wrote, and said, let's just do the pills, because I am sure this is vertigo, but if in a month still there, we will do the CAT scan. He asked if I had headaches, or ringing of the ears, and not expecting to be asked this I immediately said no, but I have headaches at least 2x week, have had them like this forever. Wasn't sure if I had experienced ringing in my ears lately, but of course now paying attention, I surely did last night for about 5 mins. For the past few days, I have what I can only explain as a "fullness" in my head, coughing on a drink the other night it felt like something in my head was moving around, and not at all right. Today my head feels very full, and tight almost. It's an odd feeling.

Any thoughts/ideas?

I am on no meds I take on a regular basis.
Thanks for reading!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Vertigo or something more?

Vertigo is a symptom of quite a few things. The ringing in your ears makes me think of Meniere's Syndrome. Check it out and see if it fits. Hope the tests sort it all out for you.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
(female)

Mistyjks HB User

Thanks for your response. I am scheduled for an MRI of the brain tomorrow morning..I guess we'll see where that goes.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
(female)

Mistyjks HB User

Update-I had an MRI of the brain on Friday. That came back fine with the exception of I have severe Chronic Sinusitus, which also was most likely the cause of the worst migraine I have ever had in my life on Thursday night. This is not believed to be causing the vertigo sensation so I am back on the meds for that in addition to an antibiotic as well as s steroid nasal spray. If after a month dizziness is still there I will get a referal to an ENT and/or neurologist.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

Hi Mistyjks

I am glad to hear your MRI was normal.
When you get a chance go to the headache board at healthboards and look for My post called Chronic Tension Headaches. Even if you are not suffering with daily headaches, I think you will find this post of great interest. Lots of
others who are suffering with vertigo responded and I myself am a vertigo suffer as well.
For me it is not room spinning but more of a floating, swaying, falling, sinking, tilting and being pushed to the side kind of a feeling. I also get what I describe as an elevator sensation.. (exactly how you would feel in an elevator) I am also wondering do you suffer with some anxiety as well?
If you get a chance search through this post chronic tension headaches By Boxerlover227 Keep me posted and good luck!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
(female)

HEGS22 HB User

Hi Guys-
I Have Been Suffering With Vertigo (bppv) For About A Year. I Finally Went To An Audiologist Who Did About 3 Hours Of Testing On Me. The Bppv Was Gone, But I Have Vestibular Dysfunction In My Left Ear. I Feel Like I Am Leaning To The Right When I Walk. When I Lay Down To Go To Sleep At Night I Feel Like I Am On A Boat. I Too Have Tinnitus. I Am 38 And My Symptoms Get Worse Around My Period And When I Am Ovulating. My Audiologist Thinks That My Hormones Have Something To Do With What I Am Feeling. I Have Been To An Ent, An Accupuncurist But I Feel The Audiologist Has Really Helped Me. Since I Was "blessed" With Vertigo I Have Anxiety And Even Suffered From A Panic Attack As Well As Depression. You Get Anxious When You Feel Yucky! Good Luck!

Old 04-03-2007, 05:08 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User

Hi- My husband has something that sounds exactly like what you are experiencing. Except he does get nauseous sometimes. His Ear Nose Throat Dr has identified it as Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) It is crystals in the inner ear that build up and get stuck in a place that causes the spinning. The doctor sent him to a physical therapist who gave him some exercises to do to teach his brain to compensate. There does not seem to be any medication to dissolve the crystals but the Dr said it should eventually go away. My husband has had it since July 2006. He was in the hospital with it for three days then but his symptoms are less but constant at this point. Like you say, it is hard for him to read things on screen or even search for cereal at the supermarket. Good luck with your challenge!

Last edited by zandvoort; 04-03-2007 at 05:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-03-2007, 05:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

hi all im not sure what mine is but i been very very dizzy and i been fainting since sept not uncousios im awake but i fall down for no reason .my head hurts constandly i had a MRI of my brain i get my results today im so bad at the fainting i never leave my house i also have thyriod disorder and i have some panic but not as bad as before but i do have the aniety would falling down be verigo or would that be something different?
vickie45

Old 04-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wowwwweeee HB User
Cool Re: Vertigo or something more?

Welcome to my woozy/dizzy world! Thank you for allowing me to drop in on this thread. If you have a moment, check out the Inner Ear and Headache boards - I am a frequent poster on the Inner Ear boards, thanks to MY head symptoms, which involve leaning towards the right when I walk or drive, leaning towards the left when I am sitting, a feeling of motion even when I am still, and unable to lie flat because I either "spin" or sway.

In addition, I have developed an anxiety/panic attack condition because of how my physical symptoms make me feel. Blech.

If you do a search on my current and older (Wowwweee) user names, you may find something helpful or reassuring.

Take good care. xo

Last edited by Wowwwweeee; 04-05-2007 at 02:02 PM.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:32 AM   #10
(male)

nomoredenial HB User

labrinthytis? maybe an inner ear thing.
possibly a seizure sounds like the begining of seizure I would get but dont get anymore of them now. but I would venture labrinthytis first.
I only read your first thread so sorry if its been diagnosed already

Old 04-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
(female)

Patrice2937 HB User

I have had the same symtoms.. Ended up in the hospital the other night. Was so dizzy, felt like I was going to pass out.. The MRI showed Chronic Sinusitis and also an venous angioma...on the left side.. Mind you i also have a bad ear infection to boot..
All this is throwin me off..... Have to see the Neuro Dr this week about all this.. Cant live like this....
Its terrible

Old 05-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #12
(female)

lilylelani HB User

Have a brain MRI. I had a stroke and found out 2 years later. It resulted from a severed vertebral artery (which usually causes death and so several docs didn't look for it as a cause even though I had an injury at work) and I developed a slow left moving nystagmus which later became oscillopsia and now I have a lot of dizziness, migraine, visual problems that are worse some days than others, all aggrivated by sinus and the barometric pressure changes. I had to retire from my job at age 49.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #13
(female)

lilylelani HB User

I have Oscillopsia and these are the symptoms, along with others, and it resulted after head trauma which caused a vestibular artery dissection and then stroke. Unfortunately the ER doc did not recognize that I was having a stroke and attributed it to BPPV and sent me home with an ENT referral. I nearly died. Most people do. It was much later, a neurologist found the stroke after having a brain MRI and also then did an MRA to confirm the dissection. Nystagmus (slow left beat) turned into Oscillopsia after several years. I had ENG testing (rotational chair, caloric test, etc.) and therapy at a balance center, but still suffer. I have the at home exercises, too, but have found that sinus and the ups and downs (especially downs) of the barometric pressure aggitate my condition.

Closed Thread