It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
(female)

meniero HB User
Hormones and Vertigo

Hi There, I feel like I'm searching for answers and getting nowhere. This is the second month that I've really started to notice a link between the first day of my menstrual cycle and dizziness. It's a kind of foggy, hungover, heavy head, whoosy vertigo. Not so much like the BPPV I'm accustomed to. I woke up with it this morning on the first day of my cycle and have noticed it last month as well. I've looked up old threads and have noticed some other interesting discussions. Was wondering if anyone has come across any good books or remedies, some have mentioned Magnesium? I am 36, have suffered with BPPV for one year and am not so thrilled to be dealing with this now as well, as I'm sure you can understand! I mentioned hormone testing to my doctor and he pretty much said it's a useless test. Any thoughts on that? And what is it exactly-hormonally-that is happening to cause the vertigo...too much, too little estrogen? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mnsk HB User
Re: Hormones and Vertigo

hi ,I know exactly the symptoms you are describing , its like your head is in a fuzzy ,blurrey unreal world,and the eyes feel very sensitive (almost like a drugged up feling I imagine).

funny you mention this hormones because I have a book called "what your doctors may not tell you about Menopause", even tho I am only 39 years old, I thought it would be an interesting read and I was right !!!

The link between hormones and dizziness is strong (very strong) and also
migraines and hormones.

A lack of progesterone causes a huge list of problems for women including dizziness , breast tenderness, water retention, fatigue,anxiety,depression,poor sleep,headaches,reduces vascular tone.

Its often not worth Doctors doing your hormone evaluation because they only order specific blood tests , which do not pick up on a lack of progesterone.
I had my hormones tested by doing a saliva test , its meant to be more sensitive , and it comfirmed that I do have a lack of progesterone.

There is also another book out called "what your doctor may not tell you about perimenopause" which I am gonna order soon.

sad we have to look for answers but hopefully we are on the right track ?

take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2007, 06:57 AM   #3
(female)

meniero HB User

Hi There! So, where do you get a saliva test performed? And what are you doing if anything to correct your lack of progesterone? Thanks!

Old 10-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mnsk HB User

hi again , I ordered a test online , they send you the sample tube to fill with saliva, then you post it back to them (you have to take it on a certain day of your monthly cycle).

Last edited by moderator2; 10-28-2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 10-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
(female)

treefarmer HB User

Hi there,

I just wanted to echo the sentiments here about the link between hormones and the dizzies; it's real. There's also a top-notch doc here in the States named Christiane Northrup, M.D., who has written several books on perimenopause and menopause, most notably The Wisdom of Menopause which covers alot of these issues due to hormonal changes at that time. Oh, and the age range to start feeling this stuff can be essentially any time after age 35, with the 40s being the most fun (I'm 44, so I know). You should google her and find out more.

T

Old 10-30-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

Funny you guys are talking about this. I just weened my baby in Sept. and I have noticed my good days have become more...I wondered if the hormones were setting me back and if there was a direct link to hormones and my continued dizzys?

Hmmmmmmm

Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
(male)

amww HB User

The link isn't really direct, its hormones -> migraine activity -> dizziness.

It can't really be tackled from the hormone side of things (yet) so hormone tests are pretty much useless as there is nothing yet to look for. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with hormone levels, but is more likely to be a functional change. The birth control pill _might_ help, or it might make things worse.

It can really only be reliably tackled at the second level, migraine.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

Adam...any info on pregnancy with these conditions...and hormones causing a longer recovery period? Just wondering if you have read anything?

Old 10-30-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
(male)

amww HB User

The only thing I can offer is that hormonal changes often trigger migraine.. sometimes it arrives during pregnancy, sometimes it disappears during pregnancy only to reappear after giving birth.

My wife has never had any migraine symptoms during her life, but had a few auras followed my a mild headache during her pregnancy.

There are no other links I am aware of between conditions like VN, Menieres and hormonal changes. Certainly none that have been shown clearly like the association between migraine and hormones (you may have seen the study in my other post a few weeks ago by one of the world's top dizziness experts Baloh).

I think it's very likely you'll get better without intervention if yours came on during a time of hormonal fluctuations. I don't mean in terms of compensation.. I mean the broken brain activity stopping

Last edited by amww; 10-30-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User

Boy, do I ever know about hormones and dizziness! Actually, my dizziness isn't as horrible as it was this past March, but I still feel SO cruddy especially around my cycle start and midcycle (and throughout the whole month actually). And while Adam is correct that most of the horrid symptoms of dizziness, nausea, and headache are mostly caused by the migraine component of the hormonal fluctuation, and treating the migraine is key, it is also imperative to treat the hormone imbalance so it won't even wake up the migraine monster. I think that is what awoke the beast in me - the onset of perimenopause and either low levels of progesterone or estrogen. I never had migraines before this year - and now that I've hit 40, all hell has broken loose.

So, I am hoping to get the hormones under a little better control naturally first (progesterone and phytoestrogen creams, supplements, and soy), but from what I have read that in time, your body kind of gets used to the lower levels of progesterone/testerone/estrogen and we begin to feel better. I can only hope and pray about this because I am tired of feeling like I have the flu all the time. Oh, and also, there is always low doses of HRT that can be taken but I'm too scared for now to do that. But if this keeps up year after year, I may break down and just ask for a low dose of estrogen. I did have a hormone blood test just last week and it showed by estradiol level as being 21F, and last year it was 27F, which both are definitely LOW, and apparently getting lower and lower so I am certainly on my way to menopause.

Now excuse me while I go vomit...

Old 11-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

I skimmed through some articles yesterday regarding the relationship between exercise and progesterone. From the little I read, exercise may increase progesterone levels, especially in the second part of the cycle (ovulation to menstruation.)

Time to work out! haha

Old 11-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User

I know, I know, I know - the "answer" to all of our health woes is always that dreaded EXERCISE stuff. ick! If I felt WELL enough to exercise, I wouldn't have a problem, now would I??

Old 11-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #13
(female)

meniero HB User

Ok, when I originally posted this thread, I was having lingering symptoms around my cycle. On Halloween night, (see my other post, Subs...help relapse), I went into a full blown attack, with complete loss of balance, motion sickness, etc. that had me in bed until today when I went to see my Dr. who just diagnosed me with Migrainous Vertigo with BPPV!! First, I have to so much to say about that, I don't know where to start! I feel good that I was misdiagnosed with VN or Labs, but on the other hand, I'm scared to think that this will be my life. The uncertainty of when the next attack will occur! I have to refer back to Adam's post about the progression of things...Hormones - Migraine - Vertigo. Can altering your hormones fix the migraines or vertigo? Or is that opening another can of worms? I am 36, and probably have a good 10 years until I'm in full blown menopause, I would like to be able to manage this before then!! How does one manage these hormonal imbalances?

Old 11-02-2007, 05:13 PM   #14
(male)

amww HB User

You are unlikely to get relief attacking it from the hormone angle - there is just no evidence that it is helpful and that its levels of hormones that trigger migraine.. it may be something related to the function of hormones, not their levels. If you aren't on the birth control pill and can safely take it, it's always worth a shot, especially if most of (or your worst) symptoms correlate with hormonal changes. Nothing else has been shown to work.

Otherwise, attacking it from the migraine angle (the middle of the chain) is usually helpful. Having a doctor who will help you with trials of medication is really important.. its all too often that a doctor (or the patient) tries one or two meds decides they don't work and then stops and looks for other rarer problems instead of continuing to attack the migraine problem.

Last edited by amww; 11-02-2007 at 05:13 PM.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #15
(female)

meniero HB User

Ok, so attacking it from the migraine angle means exactly what? Cutting out triggers like certain foods and stressors? What if my vertigo migraines (b/c I don't have the headache) are due to messed up hormone levels - which I'm assuming would make sense since my symptoms are worse during and immediately after menstruation.
I'll tell you - being a woman is hard work! My husband told me having to figure me out is hard too! Ha! I'm glad I can laugh about this, it's either that or sob - I'm almost at that point! Thanks for your help - I don't know what I would do without all of you and this site! Wish we could all take a much deserved vacation together.

Closed Thread