It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

AKGIRL HB User
Help with Vertigo please?

I would appreciate any help anyone can offer on the vertigo I have had since last Wednesday. I woke up slightly dizzy, and have had vertigo before, but only in short spurts ie one day. Dr thought it was BPPV then. This bout comes on the heals of on and off sinus problems for the past three months...and was light at first..I worked out Wed. morningand then was hit with a full blown severe attack. Went to bed for three days and finally made it to the doc Friday. He put me on a myacin drug and hope it would get better.
I have read a lot about vertigo, so am familiar with the details...what I dont know is if the headaches are common with the vertigo..and if mornings are more usual to suffer from it if you are having a spell.
I am terrible in the mornings..VERY dizzy with accompanying headaches, but it resolves if I lie down..and seems to improve during the day...until at night i am almost "one with the horse" and then wake up with severe vertigo again the next morning..
Sorry for the long missive..but if you have vertigo, you know how hard it is to explain. I should mention I also had a 5 level laminectomy 4 years ago, but dont think it is related. I hope nto anyway...
Thanks for any help you might be able to provide. I am most grateful

Old 02-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
(female)

newbrunswick HB User
Re: Help with Vertigo please?

I've had severe vertigo - so know what you are going thru. I was finally given Betahistine (cerc) for this and it reduced the severity of the spells. I'm currently on 16 mg - and for the last 30 days its been alot better then before I went on it. I feel the medical profession does not really seem to understand how devastating this is for daily life. On days I am overtired, the vertigo gets worse - so make sure you are well rested.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

SusanG50 HB User

I had severe vestibular neuritis in the 80's. I stole my life for 2 1/2 years. I was so dizzy I was bedridden and couldn't watch TV or the Clouds move in the sky. I really thought I would not live through it. It came after a flu/bug.

One of the things I learned about Vertigo is to go with it.........normally we try to do anything to stop it but what I learned was to move my head and try and bring on the worse attack possible.............then it would get better and pass.

I know this sounds crazy........but it really did help. Most of my anxiety came from fighting it.....trying to lie still, yada yada...........but when I flung my head down and around SITTING DOWN OF COURSE or in the bed, it would come on really bad, but then would end sooner. I can still feel it and the nauseau.............NOTHING WORSE and I've had some bad mamajamma stuff.

I also took meclizine.............and VALIUM worked better than anything ever, for it STILLS the vestibular nerve that makes you dizzy in the first place.

Hope this helps a little..............I feel DIZZY just talking about it. Oh how awful that stuff is.

PLEASE FEEL BETTER...........

Old 03-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I had vertigo for well over a year and the dr. should have picked up on it. Went to the ear/nose and throat man the other day and he tilted my head and moved it around and I am much better. I believe he said the crystals were out of place, if you know what that means. I was walking into walls and looked like the city drunk, but am pleased to say I am much better since seeing him. He does want me to have some test on the inner ear to rule that out. He said it is nothing serious. Maybe you should see an ear/nose and throat man. Good luck and I wish you well.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

If you look up BPVV on the Internet, you will read of some good lessons that will help with vertigo.

Closed Thread