It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chardon, Ohio. USA
Posts: 16
1Freebird HB User
Vertigo....Please, Please Help!

I have been experiencing vertigo for about 12 years now and the first time I got out of bed and hit the floor. The room was spinning. Since I have suffered sometimes daily with unsteadiness and disequalibrium. Just like sea legs and other times positional like rolling over in bed. I have been to now just today the third ENT and this one specializes in vertigo. All other MRI and Cat Scans have turned out just fine. Hearing and vestibular just fine, I have seen an endocrenologist and a nurologist and they could give me nothing. I don't drink alcohol anymore and cut out caffeine thinking that may be contributing. I am at the end of my rope! This last week has been terrible and I don't know what to do!

This time the MRI was done with contrast so I am hoping it turns up something. Something fixable. I have heard that anxiety can cause this as well but it seems that my anxiety is due to my vertigo. When I am not feeling dizzy I function just fine. Has anyone suffered the same type symptoms as me or know someone who has and can offer any helpful advice? Like I said it seems it is daily for the most part but 4-5 days can be really bad!

I eat meclizine like candy and have been given valium in the past and the valium helps supress it some but it still is not tolerable. Can anxiety cause something like this? Like I said I don't know what my next step is? Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 05-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 105
snh39 HB User
Re: Vertigo....Please, Please Help!

Freebird, if you're problem is positional vertigo, where you're spins, not your dizziness, get worse when you turn your head a certain way, usually tilted back or foward or if you're laying down, left or right, you might have Benign Paroxysimal (sp) Positional Vertigo (BPPV)...or as we like to call it...HELL.

Have you been tested for it? Even if you haven't push to see a vestibular PT. They will spend more time with you than ENT's or other specialists will. Regardless if the ENT's think you could have it, a PT is a very good place to start. Most ear issues won't get worse if you see one and they will not do anything until they run through your symptoms and review everything. Your new ENT, who handles vertigo cases, will be able to point you to a good PT.

Pt's can usually uncover the stuff that doctors can't also, because they'll do the tests mutiple times and really track your symptoms whereas an ENT doesn't spend the time.

If your ENT tested you for it, (an ENG or VNG test with ear caloric), and you tested negative, I wouldn't trust it. I've had 3 done, one came out iffy, the others negative, yet the PT found me positive with major BPPV.

Falling straight out of bed, dizzy spells subsiding than returning, it sounds to me like BPPV. I've had it over the last 7 months or so. What happens is it feels continual...you have spells of spinning that come and go, but you're body doesn't recover from it automatically once it happens more frequently (as opposed to short intervals in years past that you recovered from). Once it hits over and over, your brain doesn't readjust as easily so you feel the disequilibrium constantly, which makes you think you have it all the time.

Get to a PT, if they find you have it, they will do some manuevers (read about Epley's, Sermont) that will realign the floating material (crystals) in your inner ear. Once it's settled and your symptoms aren't as severe, they'll have you do vestibular exercises in office and at home that will help recalibrate your inner ear's "balance signals" to your brain, eye exercises, balance exercises which will help with the disequilibrium.



I didn't read more of your background or symptoms, so maybe you've tried all this. If not, I think it's a good place to start.

**also note - it might take some valium (and some major hutspa) to get through the manuevers PT's have you do. The reason you feel a spinning sensation is because your eyes are involuntarily moving (nystagmus). When they do a manuever, they will purposely put you through one of these spins by having you roll to one side than another until you sit up. If you have nystagmus, you have BPPV.

It's absolute hell, but just know that each spin only lasts less than a minute. It's important to relax, and let it finish its course on each roll, because the crystals need to move completely through the ear canal in order to settle.

I found out the hard way and stopped half way through, which made my dizziness unbareable and I couldn't function for weeks.

There's a lot of different reasons for dizziness. From what I've experienced and been told by prof's is that BPPV (although debilitating) is one of the easiest to clear. If you have it, you've probably had it for a very long time.

Take care, try not to get too anxious. It makes things twice as bad really.

snh39

 
Old 05-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 105
snh39 HB User
Re: Vertigo....Please, Please Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snh39 View Post
Freebird, if you're problem is positional vertigo, where you're spins, not your dizziness, get worse when you turn your head a certain way, usually tilted back or foward or if you're laying down, left or right, you might have Benign Paroxysimal (sp) Positional Vertigo (BPPV)...or as we like to call it...HELL.

Have you been tested for it? Even if you haven't push to see a vestibular PT. They will spend more time with you than ENT's or other specialists will. Regardless if the ENT's think you could have it, a PT is a very good place to start. Most ear issues won't get worse if you see one and they will not do anything until they run through your symptoms and review everything. Your new ENT, who handles vertigo cases, will be able to point you to a good PT.

Pt's can usually uncover the stuff that doctors can't also, because they'll do the tests mutiple times and really track your symptoms whereas an ENT doesn't spend the time.

If your ENT tested you for it, (an ENG or VNG test with ear caloric), and you tested negative, I wouldn't trust it. I've had 3 done, one came out iffy, the others negative, yet the PT found me positive with major BPPV.

Falling straight out of bed, dizzy spells subsiding than returning, it sounds to me like BPPV. I've had it over the last 7 months or so. What happens is it feels continual...you have spells of spinning that come and go, but you're body doesn't recover from it automatically once it happens more frequently (as opposed to short intervals in years past that you recovered from). Once it hits over and over, your brain doesn't readjust as easily so you feel the disequilibrium constantly, which makes you think you have it all the time.

Get to a PT, if they find you have it, they will do some manuevers (read about Epley's, Sermont) that will realign the floating material (crystals) in your inner ear. Once it's settled and your symptoms aren't as severe, they'll have you do vestibular exercises in office and at home that will help recalibrate your inner ear's "balance signals" to your brain, eye exercises, balance exercises which will help with the disequilibrium.



I didn't read more of your background or symptoms, so maybe you've tried all this. If not, I think it's a good place to start.

**also note - it might take some valium (and some major hutspa) to get through the manuevers PT's have you do. The reason you feel a spinning sensation is because your eyes are involuntarily moving (nystagmus). When they do a manuever, they will purposely put you through one of these spins by having you roll to one side than another until you sit up. If you have nystagmus, you have BPPV.

It's absolute hell, but just know that each spin only lasts less than a minute. It's important to relax, and let it finish its course on each roll, because the crystals need to move completely through the ear canal in order to settle.

I found out the hard way and stopped half way through, which made my dizziness unbareable and I couldn't function for weeks.

There's a lot of different reasons for dizziness. From what I've experienced and been told by prof's is that BPPV (although debilitating) is one of the easiest to clear. If you have it, you've probably had it for a very long time.

Take care, try not to get too anxious. It makes things twice as bad really.

snh39

Freebird, check and see posts from OHIOGUY28, maybe you both live close and (he? assuming) can let you know what course he's done, people to recommend.

 
Old 05-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chardon, Ohio. USA
Posts: 16
1Freebird HB User
Re: Vertigo....Please, Please Help!

Thanks SNH39 I appreciate all the feed back. I had all these tests ran when I lived in Tulsa Oklahoma but nothing showed up negative. I am hoping something will come from my MRI with contrast this time. Last time it was without. I will check out ohioguy! I have even tried the epley and not go. It really sucks! I am glad they sound like they got you pretty much back on track. I can only wait and live for the day!!! Thanks again!

 
Old 05-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chardon, Ohio. USA
Posts: 16
1Freebird HB User
Re: Vertigo....Please, Please Help!

Well I had my doctors office fax me my hearing, vestibular, MRI with and without contrast and Cat Scan results and everything said normal unless I am missing something? I go to get her report on it May 14th. What would be the next step then go see a neurologist?

 
Old 05-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Torrance, CA, USA
Posts: 439
missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User
Re: Vertigo....Please, Please Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Freebird View Post
Well I had my doctors office fax me my hearing, vestibular, MRI with and without contrast and Cat Scan results and everything said normal unless I am missing something? I go to get her report on it May 14th. What would be the next step then go see a neurologist?
Vestibular migraine - I hate to sound like a broken record because I find myself saying this so often, but you really ought to look into vestibular migraine as being your culprit. Have you suffered with motion sensitivity all of your life since childhood? Do you have other people in your family who have migraines, dizziness, or the like? All of the symptoms you describe, the long duration of the symptoms (12+ years) points to vestibular migraine disease.

There are over 100 medications out there to treat migraine. Now is the time to start experimenting and finding the one(s) that work for you.

 
Old 05-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: chatham,IL,USA
Posts: 4
khauul33 HB User
Re: Vertigo....Please, Please Help!

i have suffer from vertigo or dizzy spells for about 18 years now
and they just found out what been causing this.
i been tested from hormine inbalacne,inner ear test,bbvp,hearing test and the final test i took was eng.
i also been to four different doctors over the last couple of years and all of them could not find any thing wrong.
the test result of the eng and what dr.hunag told me that i have meniere's disease.
at least i know now what been causing my dizzy spells from 5 year old to 23 years old. i can't have no more than 2 grams of salt or sodium.
right now he wants me to stay on a low sodium diet or sodium free diet.
if it gets worse than i will be taking meds.

 
Old 05-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Torrance, CA, USA
Posts: 439
missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User
Re: Vertigo....Please, Please Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khauul33 View Post
what dr.hunag told me that i have meniere's disease.
Do you have any hearing loss? If not, you might want to consider the possibility of migraine disease as the problem. Several neurologists and articles out there say that Migraines can "mask" themselves as Meniere's. If you do not have any significant hearing loss (not tinnitus, but actual hearing loss), then migraine may be your problem. So sorry you have been dealing with this for so long! I hope you get some relief very very soon!

Last edited by missy7777; 05-10-2008 at 04:46 PM.

 
Old 05-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: chatham,IL,USA
Posts: 4
khauul33 HB User
Re: Vertigo....Please, Please Help!

yes i have hearing loss,tinnitus,feeling of fullness and vertigo that will last all day.
basically i have all the symptoms of meniere's disease and i have excluded all the other testable options. i can have an attack without warning.
when i have an attack if i lay down it gets worse,if i turn to either side it gets worse.i also have hot and cold flashes.
vertigo that is so bad that i can't walk or see straight i look like i'm drunk.
i have to put my hands on the wall so i don't fall down.
i get nausea that i throw up anything i eat and drink to a point that i throw up yellow stuff.
when i have an attack i get a ringing sound in both ears.
when i went to dr.hunag he have me get a hearing test and the results was my hearing has gotten worse than last time i had a hearing test done.

Last edited by khauul33; 05-11-2008 at 09:28 AM.

 
Old 05-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Torrance, CA, USA
Posts: 439
missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User
Re: Vertigo....Please, Please Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khauul33 View Post
yes i have hearing loss,tinnitus,feeling of fullness and vertigo that will last all day.
basically i have all the symptoms of meniere's disease and i have excluded all the other testable options. i can have an attack without warning.
when i have an attack if i lay down it gets worse,if i turn to either side it gets worse.i also have hot and cold flashes.
vertigo that is so bad that i can't walk or see straight i look like i'm drunk.
i have to put my hands on the wall so i don't fall down.
i get nausea that i throw up anything i eat and drink to a point that i throw up yellow stuff.
when i have an attack i get a ringing sound in both ears.
when i went to dr.hunag he have me get a hearing test and the results was my hearing has gotten worse than last time i had a hearing test done.
All of the symptoms you describe I too have had (excluding the hearing loss) and mine are attributed to migraine. The hearing loss is KEY to distinguishing the difference between migraine and meniere's, and since you do have hearing loss and have been tested for it, then it does sound like you may be dealing with meniere's. That being said, I have heard stories from several people who have been diagnosed with meniere's, and then sometime down the road the doctors admit to misdiagnosing them, and that they actually in fact have migraine.

It is suspicious that you are also experiencing hot/cold flashes, which are indicative of hormonal issues which can cause migraines as well.

Again, I am sorry you have gone so long without relief and I wish you a full and quick recovery!

 
Old 05-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: chatham,IL,USA
Posts: 4
khauul33 HB User
Re: Vertigo....Please, Please Help!

thats what the first doctor thought and i had blood drawn for the hormones test and that came back negative.the second doctor i went to see said the exact same thing and i told him thats what the last doctor did but he said there is another test they can do.
that test came back negative and dr.burns told me to go see dr.bass.
dr.bass thought something was wrong with me inner ear so i had hearing test done than about three days later he did a inner ear test and that test came back negative.
thank you and i am feeling alot better after seeing dr.hunag and staying on that low sodium diet its been about four days now without an attack.
and i hope it stays that way for a long time so i don't have to take meds.

 
Old 05-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 6
Janie57 HB User
Re: Vertigo....Please, Please Help!

I have just suffered from severe vertigo on 5/8 & 5/11. I've only had it once before when I had a severe sinus infection. The first day I vomited all day and lost 6 lbs. Every time I opened my eyes the room would spin. HORRIBLE feeling!! Then I had no vertigo for 2 days,but very weak and tired only to be hit again with severe vertigo on Mothers Day. I spent the entire day in bed. I am exhausted again and went to see my PCP today- he wants to check my heart and make sure its ok. So Thurs. I go to Strong Hosp. for a stress test then a halter monitor (24 hour EKG) if the stress test is normal. I think the vertigo is a manifestation of my severe allergies, mast cell disease or mastocytosis.The anxiety and sense of helplessness that accompany vertigo are terrible. I can truly relate to you all.
I will be praying for you all.
Jane

 
Old 05-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: new york, new york usa
Posts: 721
violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User
Re: Vertigo....Please, Please Help!

Janie--

Hi! I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing vertigo. I hope the tests show that nothing serious is wrong, other than the extremely horrible vertigo experience! You can probably see from this board that there are lots of reasons for sudden onset vertigo, some of the most common reasons being inner ear viruses, migraine, and BPPV.

I am writing b/c I've had dizziness 24/7 for five months now...first docs thought it was inner ear, then migraine, and now sinus infection. You mentioned sinus infection in your recent post. Can I ask about your experience with that and what medicine helped you? Doctors don't usually say that dizziness is a symptom of sinus infection, but I've experienced it in the past too.

Thank you for your thoughts, and please keep us posted on how you do. You may want to get an MRI and CT scan of the head and/or sinuses as well as inner ear testing, in addition to the heart tests.

Take care,
Violet

 
Old 05-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #14
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: phx, az, usa
Posts: 4
zonie HB User
Re: Vertigo....Please, Please Help!

have you tried the Epley Maneuver? I had it too, but not as bad, but it fixed it. The electrolyths in my ears got knocked out in a minor collision. I also had a girlfriend that was diagnosed wth Meniers (sp) and had to eventually have surgery where they cut the nerve (one of 8) in the lower part of the brain. It was an instant cure. Look into it if you are still sick... there IS an answer. Phoenix, Barrow Institute was where she went, and it was miraculous! So was mine for me.. on a much lesser scale. Mr Dr. was also out here.. and they do the Epley in their office. It too is instant and I was 100% better right after it. Never came back!

 
Old 05-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #15
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 6
Janie57 HB User
Smile Re: Vertigo....Please, Please Help!

Hi Violet!
I had a severe sinus infection in Nov. 1991. It started with a sore throat on Fri. then progressed rapidly over the weekend. By Sun. eve. I had dizziness and was very sick with a sinus infection. I didn't want to go to the ER so I went to my PCP on Mon. He put me on antibiotics and checked my blood. I found out that my liver enzymes were elevated. I was very sick for several weeks. That's all I remember.
I think the sinus and ear tissues swell in response to a virus, bacteria or allergen. That causes the fluid in the sinuses to get trapped and become infected. The Eustachian tube will then dysfunction, which in turn causes unsteadiness and dizziness or vertigo. The vertigo may persist because the Eustachian tube dysfunction persists.
I can't imagine your suffering with this for 24/7 for even a day. How do you drive or work or do anything?
You poor dear, I will remember you all in my prayers,
Jane
I wonder if vertigo is due to the spring pollen here in upstate NY?

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Any VERTIGO sufferers out there? Please help. Strikes again... Zoe26 Dizziness / Vertigo 11 07-13-2012 12:34 PM
VERTIGO...Please Help. :( Zoe26 Dizziness / Vertigo 22 01-07-2012 06:52 AM
dizziness/vertigo/headaches/migraines leeshy215 Dizziness / Vertigo 27 11-02-2010 07:51 AM
Double vision, diplopia, vertigo... can anyone help, please? izzysantos Dizziness / Vertigo 5 12-26-2009 02:20 AM
Vertigo....Please, Please Help! 1Freebird Dizziness / Vertigo 8 09-03-2008 06:53 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added











All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!