It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2003, 06:11 PM   #1

SCAREDGIRLALWAYSDREAMING HB User
Question Vertigo & flying ?

Hello All I had a question has anyone ever had to fly with vertigo? And if so did it make the vertigo worse? I have had horriable vertigo for about 5 yrs now reasons unknown I was diagnosed with lymes and had vertigo ever since. I am motion intolerance, I always feel as if I am on a boat swaying back and forth some days are better than others When I walk and then stop I feel as if i am still moving or I am sinking into the ground, sometimes the spinning sensation is unbearable. I feel EVERYONES pain and frustration on this board, I am going to be flying soon for my honeymoon and I am scared to death that the vertigo will worsen, I also have extreme pressure in my head and ears at times. will flying make this worse? Any input on flying and treatment would be greatly appreciated. thank you Scaredgirl

Old 07-26-2003, 06:50 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Maybe this web site will help---hope so!
[url="http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/treatment/flying.html"]http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/treatment/flying.html[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2003, 12:45 PM   #3

Iamphyll HB User
try over the counter Afrin/Dristan (oxymetazoline) nasal spray for flying, about one half hour before flying. 2 sprays in each nostril. Use rarely. Not something that should be used for anyother reason.

Old 08-29-2003, 12:46 PM   #4

Iamphyll HB User
try over the counter Afrin/Dristan (oxymetazoline) nasal spray for flying, about one half hour before flying. 2 sprays in each nostril. Use rarely. Not something that should be used for anyother reason.

Old 08-29-2003, 03:06 PM   #5

dizzyblonde1 HB User
Hi scaredgirl

I've flown a couple of times with this thing and apart from the effects of general airport chaos and tiredness it did'nt really affect me.

However, your experience will depend entirely upon the underlying cause of your vertigo. Mine is inner ear related and so is (technically)not affected by pressure changes. You say you do not know the cause of your vertigo, but (I could be totally wrong)I seem to remember you saying you had a TMJ problem. From the little I know about this disorder, I think that this can be adversely affected by flying.

You really need to consult the doctors/dentists you have been seeing to discuss the issue of flying with them. I don't know what if any medication you are currently taking, but they may be able to prescribe you new/stronger drugs (vestibular depressants, muscle relaxants, anti-emetics etc) to help you get through the flight. Try to do this sooner rather than later to give yourself time to try them out - you don't want surprise nasty side effects on the day!

Hope this helps a little bit, good luck, xx

Old 08-29-2003, 11:19 PM   #6
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
As I and I Robertson have found out, flying can affect inner ear problems. It did with me and I am still feeling the effects a month on. Think it was the motion of the long haul flight which did rather than change in pressure. There is no way of knowing if you will be affected unless you try. I have to get home in about 3 wks but after that, wont be flying again for a good few years! Good Luck xxx

Closed Thread