It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2003, 12:59 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Jen30 HB User
Post Has anyone recovered completely from labyrinthitis/vertigo?

Hi
Is there anyone out there who has had months of dizziness and then recovered completely? It really is helping to read the experiences of other people who are going through what I'm going through, but it would be great to read a success story!

Old 01-28-2003, 11:19 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Mica09 HB User
I wish I could be one of them!

[This message has been edited by MPaiement (edited 01-28-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2003, 08:04 PM   #3

lysa226 HB User
i started thinking i might have recovered after seven years....finially was so happy i could put my head in the sink of the hair salon...but a month after i did...whammm i woke up again with the room spinning and back to the beginning of another bout of labrynthitis.... reading here makes me feel better as we have so much in common... so frustrating.... ive been feeling better as long as i dont accidently roll over on my left side..or lay flat on my back... but i have days when im really tired and feel spacey.... feel real uncomfortable driving when im feeling this way....i forced myself to go back to work after a week of bedridden...but that was three months ago and i still "feel out of it" this is tough ..im the single mother of two kids..i have a big job as a recreation director.... and some days like today im really frustrated that i havent "fully recovered" will we ever?? and when we do /.... must i anticipate its return....ive had this happen to me three times the past twenty years..... and no it doenst get easier .....cause older i get ...less energy i have ... does anyone else have a sore neck and upper back with thier symptoms??? anyway ....sorry about my rambling.... having a bad day...

Old 01-28-2003, 11:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Jen30 HB User
Lysa

When you say you've had it three times in 20 years, how long did each episode last? Are you saying that you had a seven year break and now it's back?

Old 01-29-2003, 08:10 PM   #5

lysa226 HB User
hi Jen.yes twenty years ago i woke up early am and i suddenly found the room spinning around me ..well more like the bed was coming up and i was flipping over...horrible nitemare... hmmmm for a few days i was out of it and id say the first episode lasted only a few weeks..... but then twelve years later id say.... again i was woken up by spinning horrible spinning..... this time it lasted much longer..... after the horrible spinning...you get that off balance sensation for a few weeks or so....but i was left with a positional thing...if i accidently put my head in wrong position it would jolt me.... i had mri..ect... drs said labrythitis/ benign positional vertigo....but no dr. offered me any suggestions for recovery.. i learned to live with and fight symptoms.....it took eight years before i finially had the freedom to put my head in the sink at the beauty salon recently and whammmmmmmmm this past oct i woke up agian ..room spinning..... same deal.... scarey though cause this time i am single divorced not married ....i took a week off from work..probaly could have used two months ....but im a fighter...and i really dont run to the doctors....im getting better but i have days where i jsut feel lousy..my neck and upper back really bother me..... and i still dont lay on my right side or flat on my back..the other day i got a massage and the therapist convinced me to attempt laying flat on my back..i did and ended up getting a hit of vertigo....then sick to my stomach for the next few days...so ...this sweet thing we have shows its ugly face now and then and most people dont understand it so i seldom discuss with anyone... i keep my head out of certain positions.... but when im tired i dont like driving...i feel spacey.... i find eating healthy ..exercising..... and drinking alot of water to be very important.... ps reading from this site has given me enormous comfort... thanks all.. most important for me is to fight it...keep fighting it ...and get plenty of rest...

Old 01-30-2003, 12:42 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Jen30 HB User
Oh well, no success stories yet!
After 12 days of relative stability I've just had 4 days of hell. I experienced for the first time being pulled to one side, like you Mpaiement. That has stopped, but I'm so disoriented and depressed. Amazing how a few bad days can take away all the positive thoughts about getting better.... Lysa, I don't think I have what you have, the positional vertigo that is. I think I have vestibular neuritis as I have only ever felt dizzy with no other symptoms. It flares up and dies down all the time. Going on to 5 months now...

Old 01-30-2003, 06:47 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Ruth77 HB User
Jen,
I know just how you feel. Last week I was really starting to get much better days, then since Sunday have gone through some really bad days again. When I had this two years ago (not as severe as this time) I gradually got longer spells of feeling better. At first it would be a few good days followed by a few bad days. I would then be back at work for a week or two, then have to be off for a few days again. The good times gradually got longer, but for months I would get the odd couple of bad days on and off. It was really hard mentally too, as I started to wonder if I was making a fuss about nothing. People find it hard to believe that you can keep feeling like this for so long, so you do feel very alone with it. The one thing that has kept me going this time is that I know I got rid of it before. I feel it will take longer this time, as it has generally been worse - but am trying to stay positive that in time it will get better. I think the worst thing is that you are up and down - you're convinced that you're getting better - and then - wham! - back to square one again. For me, that is what makes it harder to cope with as it gets you so down. I just keep telling myself how great I am going to feel when this is all over!

Ruth
xxx

Old 01-30-2003, 07:39 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Mica09 HB User
Lysa,

The symptoms you describe seem more like BPPV. If it's that your lucky. It's one of the most treatable vestibular disorder. Did you ever had the Epley maneuver done on you? Some people are cured only after one treatment.

I know what you mean when you say you get discouraged when you go back down. Every time I have good periods I hope that I'm getting better, but then after a few weeks I feel myself gradually getting worse again. That is so depressing. I want to go back to work. I'm now just asking myself if I can work during my worst periods. It would be nice if I could find a job working from home, but I just moved in a small town and jobs are not as easy to find. Do you know what's the most frustrating, I had to let go of a great, good paying, good benefits etc job!!!!!! Couldn't get long term dissability because I couldn't prove I was sick!!!! My bosses were sorry to see me go, but I couldn't see myself keep missing work because of my condition. I didn't want to do that to them, it was stressful just thinking about taking the bus, running all day at work, coming back home, taking care of my 3 kids etc. Again, I'm venting!!! Sorry!!

Old 01-30-2003, 02:20 PM   #9
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
Firstly, we all need to vent so go ahead MPaiement. I agree with everyone in that this thing really drains me mentally. It is very difficult to keep positive and not get down when you can't go to the shops without feeling "dizzy"! Everything is an effort.

Also know what you mean about the good and bad days. I also keep thinking about how happy I am going to be when this is over Ruth!

I do think, as someone else has said on here, it is important to acceept we have it and that it will take a while to go and to be patient with ourselves. It can only help us fight it.

Old 01-30-2003, 03:13 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Jen30 HB User
Ruth
So glad to hear that someone has had this before and that it actually goes away!!! And yes, my 'good' days are now longer than the 'bad' days, so i assume I'm on the road to recovery. When you had it the first time, how many months did it last?

Old 01-31-2003, 08:07 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Ruth77 HB User
Jen,
The first time I got this was the beginning of January 2001. Feb-May were quite hard - I was seriously thinking about giving up my job as I was having so many odd days off work and felt guilty about it. I would say from May onwards I was 95% free of the dizziness - just the odd day here and there. Then it just sort of went. So, probably about 5-6 months. However, since then I've noticed that if I am feeling really tired I tend to feel a bit dizzy and disorientated. Then I got it again in November 02 (and am still suffering!) and as soon as it started I knew what it was straight away - and thought PLEASE NOT AGAIN!!!
Emsybobs, one positive thing is that during my 18 months in between these two periods of labyrinthitis I had two colds, neither of which caused me any dizziness whatsoever - so hopefully once you have really got over this properly, hopefully future colds won't necessarily mean more dizziness.

Ruth
xxx

Old 01-31-2003, 11:39 AM   #12
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
Thanks Ruth for that comment...I hope you are right and do feel it is perhaps because I am not yet recovered. Was having quite a good day today, managed shopping which did make me feel dizzy but I coped - but now I am home, am feeling dizzy! Does anyone notice that shopping places and crowded places really worsen the feelings? I find that if I look down at the ground and then up I feel v dizzy.

Am going to a different GP on Mon - will see if she is willing to take this seriously! Will report back.

xxx

Old 01-31-2003, 06:35 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Jen30 HB User
Ruth
Thanks for that. Hopefully mine is also a 5 -6 month episode. I am in my 5th month now. Just had a very bad seven days after 12 days of feeling pretty good. I've just got back from the shops and felt absolutely terrible while I was there. Busy places and lots of visual stimuli definitely make me feel worse.
I can imagine your distress when it all came back. I hope yours clears up soon. Would you like to exchange email addresses? We seem to be going through exactly the same thing.
Jen

[Please read and follow the board posting guidelines.
Email addresses are not allowed to be posted here.]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 02-05-2003).]

Old 02-01-2003, 04:10 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Ruth77 HB User
Hello Jen ... my e-mail is [removed.com. If anybody wants to contact me, feel free.

Ruth
xxx

[Please read and follow the board posting guidelines.
Email addresses are not allowed to be posted here.]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 02-05-2003).]

Old 02-01-2003, 05:16 AM   #15
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
Thanks Ruth...My symptoms sound similar also to yours Jen - crowded places make me feel v odd. Almost lightheaded but more like I have flung myself round and round for a while.

Woul like to add that I have begun to take magnesium a lot as read it elsewhere that it can bring the inflammation of the nerves down and I do think it is helping. xxx

Closed Thread