It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
(female)

jknyk HB User
Vertigo and Anesthesia

I had general anesthesia during a surgical procedure that induced a terrible vertigo episode. Recovering from the vertigo was far worse than recovering from the actual surgery as it lasted months.

Has anyone out there had this experience? Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative sort anesthesia? Im fearful about having to undergo future surgeries.

Also, I have suffered from BVP since the age of 12 (I'm now in my 40's) so I beg to differ with those who have said it is not a chronic condition. Every Dr I have ever seen has told me the same thing, they can help move the inner ear crystals back into their proper place, they can't help them from getting dislodged. Is there anyone out there who can tell me other wise????

Thanks.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lucille8 HB User
Re: Vertigo and Anesthesia

I don't know much about the anethesia, but i'm scared as heck to get any type of surgery with it because i'm scared it will give me vertigo.

But as for the BPPV, i was just diagnosed with that today along with some other things. my doctor said a lot of the times there is something that causes the BPPV, which is it is in my case. he won't even treat me for it until i get the other things cleared. Have you looked into something maybe causing the BPPV? That would make sense to me as it keeps coming back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User

Hi there...as others on this board (Scott!) have educated us all about, migraine is the most common cause of BPPV (aside from head trauma). Sounds like you have, like many of us, migraine associated vertigo. When you treat the migraine with preventive meds, your dizziness should subside. I am currently being treated for BPPV along with the migrainous vertigo. I get the Epley (actually variations on it, depending on my nystagmus) regularly and I'm also taking an antidepressant to combat the migraine/neurochemical issue. Check out VEDA for a good doc.

Best of luck,
Violet

Old 02-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User

Oh-one more thing! My dizziness started the day after a form of anesthesia as well...not general, but I had a root canal and the dentist gave me way too much lidocaine & epinephrine. I'm sure there's a connection, but I'm not sure exactly what happened...swelling? instigation of virus? the meds themselves? Migraine also runs in my family, so I was predisposed to begin with. Many folks with MAV don't get any headaches, but many others of us do--we just never realized they were migraines before!

Violet

Old 06-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
(female)

vzgant HB User

Two weeks ago I had a colonoscopy at Kaiser P. They used anesthesia to put me to sleep. I went to the doctor today because I had been feeling dizzy when I lift or lower my head, or lay down or roll over, for the last week. The doctor told me that I had Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. As a child I was subject to motion sickness, I have only had Vertigo once since being an adult. I am over fifty years old. I believe that the anesthesia caused the vertigo. The doctor only talked about the calcium stones be out of place in the inner ear and did not attribute my vertigo to the procedure.

Closed Thread