It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
(male)

surferdance HB User
Please help... starting to question my sypmptoms: tingling, phosphenes?, vertigo

Hello everyone,

I am a 38 year old male. I have a severe history of anxiety and panic leading to hypochondria and cyberchodria (heavy internet use adding to fear of disease) This anxiety has been around for most of my life and has gotten worse in the last few years. I have thought many times I have been ill and it has cost me a mountain of time and money only to find out I am not ill. I have thought I had cancer, emphysema, vascular problems, stds, aids and so on.

Anyway, my sypmtoms that have brought me here to this forum are: 10 years ago I got blurry vision in my left eye one morning. Eye doctor told me it was a an astygmatism. It came an went for a while but mostly went away until recenly I believe its come back again. Right now if I do an online visual test for astygmatism it is positive. In both eyes actually. I have very slight double vision in both eyes, more in the left though. It seemed blurry at first but I am pretty sure its a form of monocular diplopia (double vision in one eye) which is when you close one eye and still see double. I expect it to go away mostly but it lingers.

Another symptom is the phosphenes. They have been around for a long time too! years. Often When I wake up I get startled in my head by a small sound, like a click, very easily. It cause shock like sensation in my body (torso) or my head. It sometimes cause a flash of light around the vision of both my eyes. It lasts a millisecond. I am so used to it I never thought about much until now.

3rd sypmtom: about 8 months ago I got dizzy. A doctor told me it was probably a virus, he gave me meclazine (i think) and it seemed to work. The vertigo, dizziness lasted a couple of days. Then i got dizzy again a couple months ago and took the meds again and it seemed to help a little. this second dizzy vertigo was gone in 2-3 days.

4th sypmtom: tingling on back, very periodic, very often (maybe 1 week a month or so) and ALWAYS exactly in the same spot. never painful and I am pretty sure it from a pinched nerve.

There are other symptoms that all could have a dx different form ms but the phosphenes/ light flashes seems to be a sign of optiv neuritis.

I am very stressed out for other reasons and I am on my PC all the time so I usually assume that my lifestyle in general is causing me problems but I wanted to go fishing here for any advice someone in the world of MS might have.

Thanks for any advice

Last edited by surferdance; 12-05-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Please help... starting to question my sypmptoms: tingling, phosphenes?, vertigo

My recommendation is to go do some real fishing. Your anxiety and worries are adding stress to your body and eventually your body will succumb to all the pressure. Listen to your doctors and start enjoying life. If there is an underlying neurological malady, it will manifest and your doctor should catch it. If you want tests run, most people will gladly give you what you pay for. But it is important to realize that the gauntlet of tests add stress to your body. Given your history of anxiety, your doctor will likely want it controlled in order to avoid any false symptoms. That is, to eliminate anxiety symptoms which can manifest and present as maladies you do not have.

A good day fishing is terrific medicine in my opinion!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 12-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Please help... starting to question my sypmptoms: tingling, phosphenes?, vertigo

Gotta agree with Jayhawk on this one. Go find a hobby. Fishing, Golfing. Running. Anything OUT OF THE HOUSE and AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER! What you are doing to yourself is much worse then anything that is actually happening to you.

Its positive to hear that you are aware of your affliction of being addicted to the internet and hypochondria....however, knowing it and not doing anything about it is pointless.

Your symtoms are NOT MS related! So you can relax on that front....please be well and try to have a happy holiday season.
Nikki

Old 12-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
(male)

surferdance HB User

Thank you for your honest replies. This anxiety affliction is destroying me. The doctors said it would keep coming back. I am looking for inexpensive therapy and counseling since I am uninsured (I am a nightmare to insurance companies so its probably better that way) Thanks again my online friends.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:06 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

surferdance, youre welcome. And its really good to know that you have a handle on realizing that you need some help with this. NO shame in asking for help. I honestly am glad you told us about your situation.

Depending on what state you are in, Medicaid, or Medical Assistance, available for everyone, including the underinsured, will help you with what is unfortunately labeled a mental health issue. Because this is a mental health issue, youre more apt to find the help you need in the way of counseling and/ or medication.
Its horrible to say, but with your abilility to research and look up things- you should be in good shape to find a facility which will work with you on a sliding scale basis and help you to overcome this. Kind of ironic isnt it? The very issue you need help with, will serve you well in finding that available resource in your area.

You can also check with your local hospital and clinics to see if a Social Worker there can direct you towards proper channels.

Whatever happens, I hope you find peace this holiday season.
Nikki

Closed Thread