It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
(male)

KRProton HB User
Re: Dizziness, hearing loss, vertigo, SSNHL

I'm glad if I was able to help anybody out. Just an update about a year-and-a-half later;

My hearing will never come back in my right ear. If I lay the right side of my head against my cat I can hear him purring. If I put my cell phone up to my right ear I can hear the voice, but it sounds like a horn speaking or a synthesized voice if you can imagine that. Anyway, I cannot make out the words and it causes a little pain.

Other than that I also have constant ringing in my ears, but I notice it only if I allow my self to when it's quet. I also cannot detect the direction sounds are coming from, but that's more comical than anything.

All in all, it's just a minor inconvenience and my life is pretty much 100% back to normal. Best of all I can play ice hockey as well as ever. My "bouncy" vision is all gone and my balance is probably 99%. Sometimes when I raise my head quickly I can detect a slight imbalance, but it's only for an instance.

Sometimes it's aggrivating when people who know I have lost the hearing in my right ear mumble. When this happens, I just ignore them. If they don't care enough to get me to hear them I don't care enough to hear them.

That sounds like sour grapes (it is grapes, right?), but all in all (I said that once already didn't I?) I'm as happy as ever and have lots going for me.

Tim

Last edited by KRProton; 09-13-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #17
(female)

dreamnormal HB User

Thanks again Tim for validating my sanity, or at times lack there of. It's only been since June 17,2011 that my problems began and realize that it will take time. Not really looking forward to that piece but not much choice. Stay well and keep the great attitude.
Kris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #18
(male)

carlos18102 HB User

I when through the exact same thing the original post writer when through . Woke up in the night the world spinning , and vomiting . Also went to ER , was treated great spent 3 days there , bu they misdiagnose me with ear infection . However my hearing loss did not happen till the day I came out of hospital . I tried to see an ENT inmediatly but the bastards did not see me untill 14 days of the incident though I asked to be seen inmediatly . They gave me the Prednisone treatment , also I had read about some succes studies where prednisone , and vitamin E were succesfull ! I took it ! I am a soccer player , and a musician SO THIS HAS BEEN VERY FRUSTRATING TO ME BECAUSE 4 WEEKS LATER I CAN'T PLAY SOCCER YET ! I LOOSE BALANCE OCASIONALLY SPECIALLY WHEN I LOOK UP TO THE BALL ! MUSIC IS MY EVERYTHING AND FOR A WHILE I COULD NOT HEAR FROM MY RIGHT EAR . Having said that I have recovered 60 % of my hearing , and improving daily ! I can not decifer very loud noises or music through an earphone , BUT I CAN HEAR MY WIFE AND KIDS TALKING AT NORMAL VOICE . I ask my wife and kids to whisper a number from 1 - 100 to test my hearing and can get it right on the money ! I rubb my fingers near my ear and can hear the skin rubbing . I do have a ringing in my ear yet , and hope it will go away some day . By the way I am 32 years old . my ENT wants to try the injection in my ear 6 weeks after the fact ! My skin crawls when I think about it . It's worth mentioning that I have prayed to the lord to help me ! It's a shame how most of us remember the lord only when it suits us ! Would love to hear your comments .

Old 05-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #19
(female)

Sethwoman HB User

Hi, I also test my hearing by rubbing my fingers close to it. My condition is actually Menieries disease and I have had it for a year. So far it acts up occasionally and then I have periods of remission (thankfully).

When the Meniere's does act up, my doctor gives me steriod injections in the ear, and although the thought of them originally made me anxious, they are not painful and don't have any side effects.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #20
(male)

carlos18102 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethwoman View Post
Hi, I also test my hearing by rubbing my fingers close to it. My condition is actually Menieries disease and I have had it for a year. So far it acts up occasionally and then I have periods of remission (thankfully).

When the Meniere's does act up, my doctor gives me steriod injections in the ear, and although the thought of them originally made me anxious, they are not painful and don't have any side effects.
Hi , am curious why neither my doctor or my ENT have looked into the the possibility of menieres desease . How did they diagnose you with that ? Do the injections work for you ? I guess probably because I don't get the verigo and dizzines ; though when I play soccer my balance is off a little . Thanks for responding .

Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #21
(female)

Sethwoman HB User

I was diagnosed because my hearing loss fluctuated a lot. At first I didn't get dizzy either so I was diagnosed with atypical Menieres or Cochlear hydrops. Now I do occasionally get dizzy and sick, but it seems that when I get the full attacks, I enter into a period of remission again.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #22
(female)

dreamnormal HB User
Wink Re: Dizziness, hearing loss, vertigo, SSNHL

Its only been 10months since my hearing went and there are certainly challenges that are faced each day. I totally agree that life could be so much worse than what has happened to me. I still wake up and get to be with my family and friends and enjoy life. I still have no hearing in my right ear and the tinittus is 24/7 also. I can hear certain tones without defining what they are and many times have an ear plug in because those tones are uncomfortable in certain settings. I find it interesting that many of the stories I have read are all the right ear that has the issue. HMMMMmmmmmm.
The biggest problem I deal with now is the vertigo and balance issues. Surprisingly i didn't realize they are not connected to each other.
My Drs finally diagnosed my vertigo as benine peroxismal positional vertigo (BPPV) and have been to physical therapy to have tiny tiny particles shifted around in my ear back to where they belong and have some exercises I can do at home to keep up with it. I don't know that it will be permanently gone but I believe so. They call it the Hall/Pyke maneouver where they tilt the head up at an awkward angle and bend you backwards almost upsidedown and slowly rotate your head around and back up. It has helped a great deal especially with the bouncy feeling when I walk or run. The balance is another thing but have been given exercises for that too. If I do them as I'm supposed to they say it will work itself out. It's getting the eyes, ears and brain to coordinate again after such a trama to the hearing.
I do not feel "normal" in any sense yet and really don't think I will ever, but I am thankful for what I have gained and will hopefully continue to gain back.
Some one said that this is an rare thing but the more I learn the more I realize it is not rare at all and there needs to be more done about this affliction. It is life changing and can be tramatizing to any family.
Thanks to you all who have told your stories and updates. I think of all that have to deal with this and hope someday life will be good to you.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #23
(male)

carlos18102 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamnormal View Post
Its only been 10months since my hearing went and there are certainly challenges that are faced each day. I totally agree that life could be so much worse than what has happened to me. I still wake up and get to be with my family and friends and enjoy life. I still have no hearing in my right ear and the tinittus is 24/7 also. I can hear certain tones without defining what they are and many times have an ear plug in because those tones are uncomfortable in certain settings. I find it interesting that many of the stories I have read are all the right ear that has the issue. HMMMMmmmmmm.
The biggest problem I deal with now is the vertigo and balance issues. Surprisingly i didn't realize they are not connected to each other.
My Drs finally diagnosed my vertigo as benine peroxismal positional vertigo (BPPV) and have been to physical therapy to have tiny tiny particles shifted around in my ear back to where they belong and have some exercises I can do at home to keep up with it. I don't know that it will be permanently gone but I believe so. They call it the Hall/Pyke maneouver where they tilt the head up at an awkward angle and bend you backwards almost upsidedown and slowly rotate your head around and back up. It has helped a great deal especially with the bouncy feeling when I walk or run. The balance is another thing but have been given exercises for that too. If I do them as I'm supposed to they say it will work itself out. It's getting the eyes, ears and brain to coordinate again after such a trama to the hearing.
I do not feel "normal" in any sense yet and really don't think I will ever, but I am thankful for what I have gained and will hopefully continue to gain back.
Some one said that this is an rare thing but the more I learn the more I realize it is not rare at all and there needs to be more done about this affliction. It is life changing and can be tramatizing to any family.
Thanks to you all who have told your stories and updates. I think of all that have to deal with this and hope someday life will be good to you.
Is my understanding that bppv is totally curable condition . Is amazing to me that you have perfect hearing on day and here comes a virus and POOM ! Your hearing is gone ! I feel so lucky a regained about 60 % of my hearing so far ! loud noises though are disruptive to my ear . I hoe that my balance comes bacl 100 % so I can play soccer again . God bless you all .

The Following User Says Thank You to carlos18102 For This Useful Post:
dreamnormal (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #24
(female)

dreamnormal HB User

That is true Carlos it is curable. The PT has help and now it's seems to mostly be the balance. I try not to close my eyes and walk at the same time it's not a got thing to do. Practice, practice, practice my exercises will be the hopeful answer. Take care.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #25
(female)

dreamnormal HB User

You certainly have your challenges to deal with but you sound pretty possitive. Know you're not alone. keep chatting with people I find it does help. Be well.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #26
(male)

carlos18102 HB User

Thanks . I trust in the Lord that even if the experts say no , the Lord will help me regain my hearing back . Yeah those experts who could not see me inmediatly because they were too busy to treat what to me as a musician was vital !!!!! Any way , am getting my hearing back , and my balance . Don't forget to update on how you are doing . Blesses to you !

Old 05-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #27
(female)

LivTy2777 HB User
Thumbs up Re: My Success Story: dizziness, hearing loss, vertigo, SSNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
To help and encourage others I wanted to document my recent fight with a viral inner infection that caused severe dizziness, nausea and hearing loss in my right ear. Most of the internet posts I read about this talk about the problems and ask for advice, but few have told about their success or recovery. I wanted to document what I have been going through and tell about the improvements I have finally been experiencing. First though, a bit about my self; Iím a 46 year-old male. I donít smoke or drink alcohol. Iím active, athletic and exercise frequently. Through my life Iíve played all sorts of sports including swimming, college football and gymnastics, various types of motorcycle racing and I currently play in a hockey league. As one can imagine itís difficult for me be patient with injuries that keep me from doing the things I love! Well, hereís my story:

Five weeks ago I walked out of the gym and noticed my ears were ringing. Otherwise, I felt fine. When I went to bed that evening my ears were still ringing, but I didnít think much about it. About 1:30 a.m. I woke with an upset stomach and went to the toilet. I felt a little like vomiting, but nothing happened so I went back to bed. A while later I went back to sit on the toilet again, only this time I vomited. At the time I thought I must have had some kind of food poisoning. The rest of the night and into the next day I experienced severe dizziness and frequent vomiting. I remained in bed and couldnít even move my head one inch without sending my self into a spinning sensation and more dry heaves. My stomach wasnít upset and I didnít have a fever, but this was really scary and I had NO IDEA what the heck was going on.

Finally, the next afternoon my wife came home from work and I was able to crawl down the stairs and into the car (all the while pushing the vomit bowl on the floor in front of me). In the car I couldnít even look up. We got to the ER and they wheeled me in. I had a hood over my head and didnít even dare looking up.

Up on the bed in the ER I started vomiting again. They gave me a pill for motion sickness and something else for the upset stomach. That calmed me down a bit and I was able to get stabilized.

After an examination the doctor said I had an inner ear infection and said I had lost the hearing in my right ear. They gave me some more stuff through the I.V. and I went on my way. They also gave me a prescription for 25MG of Meclizine and ordered an MRI just as a precaution.

I rested at home for the next three days taking the Meclizine as needed. On the fourth day, Friday, I felt well enough to go back to work. I could get around and drive fine, but my balance was definitely still ďoffĒ and I had no hearing in my right hear. I also had what they call ďfullnessĒ and ringing in my ear.

Well, I had the MRI which showed nothing abnormal. After the MRI, exactly one week after this all first occurred, I called an ENT and made an appointment, but they didnít have an opening for another week (apparently, they would have seen me right away if I would have more accurately disclosed the severity of my symptoms). Still curious as to why this hadnít cleared up by now, I went to the walk-in clinic the next day. Again, I was diagnosed with an inner ear infection that they said would eventually go away. Still not satisfied, I went to my family doctor who told me the same thing; ďItíll clear up on its own, but keep your appointment with the ENT if you feel it necessary.Ē

Two Fridays after this first happened to me I drove about four hours up to my brotherís in Michigan where, the next day we went to Detroit to go to my auntís funeral. Nobody can really understand or comprehend the problems you are having. You can tell them you have dizziness and no hearing in one ear, but they see you up and walking around and to them it doesnít really seem like thereís anything wrong and they forget. At the funeral we were in a large room crammed with lots of people. I couldnít really understand anybody who was talking to me. Peripheral or background noise makes it just about impossible to hear with my good ear. Sometimes I feel like an ďold man,Ē but I need to get out on the ice and play hockey!!!

Exactly two weeks to the day after my first symptoms, I finally had my appointment with an ENT. A hearing test by an audiologist proved what I already knew; totally deaf in my right ear. I already knew I had no hearing in my right ear, but it hit me pretty hard when you see the test results on paper. Then, I see the doctor who is very concerned. He says we have to start treatments RIGHT AWAY if we have any chance of restoring any hearing in my right ear! All of a sudden I feel like a handicapped person, but I try to keep it in perspective because itís not as thought Iíve lost a limb (or my life!) fighting for my country or something.

Next thing I know theyíre sticking a needle in my right ear with a steroid injection to fight off the inflammation ASAP. Actually, this wasnít quite as bad as it soundsófirst he numbed my eardrum with something. That hurt the mostókind of like if you ever stick a Q-tip into your ear too far, times about two or three. The actual injection wasnít so badóand believe me Iím a baby when it comes to pain. (Sometimes I pass out when I donate blood!) What I was told is that the virus causes inflammation around the inner ear organs and nerves. This inflammation has to be treated right away before the nerves die or stop workingópreferably within two or three days of onset. But now Iím two weeks out! I make two more appointments for ear injections one week and two weeks out. Finally though, I feel like Iím getting somewhere. They also gave me prescriptions for Prednisone (another steroid to fight the inflammation), Famciclover (to fight the virus) and Prilosec (to sooth possible upset stomach from the other meds). After a few days I stopped taking the Prilosec because it wasnít necessary.

I continue to work out at the gym when I can. Usually I lift weights and run on the treadmill. My balance is good enough to drive and walk, but I just canít do the treadmill at reasonable speeds without getting too imbalanced. The stationary bike will have to suffice for now.

The following Sunday (two weeks from onset) I feel up to seeing if I can play hockey with my team. I get to the game, put on my gear and go out onto the ice for warm-ups. I can tell pretty much right away I just canít go, so I skate off the ice, go back into the locker room and take off my gear. I have to sit in the stands with the wives and watch my teammates play.

Next Tuesday, my second ear injection. This time he goes through the hole that was already there from the first injectionóno numbing medication required. What? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! Actually, the idea of having a needle stuck into your eardrum is worse than the actual procedure and it was a breeze. After each shot I have to lay on my left side for 30 minutes while the steroid ďpercolatesĒ down in. But during the following week and over the weekend I start feeling pretty down because this darn thing just isnít going away! I also developed some mysteriously new symptoms including my hands were shaking a little, flushness and loss of taste. Somebody said my color didnít look good. Iím getting a little crabby at home because Iíve lost my hearing in one ear, I have ringing in my ear, I feel dizzy and I canít play hockey, but nobody can really tell thereís anything wrong. Damn!!!

The next weekend we go visit family up in Chicago and guess what they decide to do for funóletís go skating!!! Out on the ice I did a little better than the week before when I tired to play hockey, but Iím still upset because Iím not my usual self and I just donít have all my balance. The next day (Sunday), I get to my hockey game and give it another try. I usually play defense, but I would be too much of a liability back there, so I skate on offense. I make it through the game okay, but my vision is ďweirdĒ and it just takes me a fraction of a second longer to ďlock ontoĒ whatever Iím trying to see. In the closing minute of the game I get a breakaway and take a slap shot, but the puck goes about 6Ē wide of the net and I fall sliding into the boards. Yup, balance isnít very good, but at least Iím out there. Itís kind of embarrassing because I feel like someone who just learned to skate instead of someone whoís been skating for about forty years!

Well, between then and now (five weeks out) Iíve played some pickup hockey about three times and am feeling a little better on the ice. Iíd say Iím about 90% and can probably help my team instead of just being out there. My hearing has shown a little improvement and my doctor seems encouraged. I can hear it if I stick my finger in my ear or tap on my ear, but nothing really else. But the hearing tests show that I am getting some hearing back, so the doctor and I decided to accelerate the steroid shots (whoopee!) to twice a week. On my last hearing test (yesterday) I was able to get some voice recognition, so there is hope, but I donít think my hearing is going to get back to normal.

So today, my mood is great and everything around the house is pretty much back to normal. I got two good workouts in the gym this week including some miles on the treadmill. I played some pickup hockey yesterday and am looking forward to my league game tomorrow. My balance still isnít all the way back, but I donít think my teammates will be able to really detect any problems. My balance is still ďoff,Ē but right now Iíd say my largest problem is how my vision interacts with movements. When Iím walking (or skating) I just canít quite ďlock ontoĒ what Iím trying to see, but again this is still improving. I know of two NBA basketball players who have been afflicted with inner ear infections and I wonder how they have been treated and how they are recovering.

One final piece of advice; If you ever develop symptoms such as what I have described, GET YOURSELF TO AN ENT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, and donít take ďnoĒ for an answer. Donít rely on ER doctors or family doctors who may not be aware of the severity and possible effects of your symptoms.

Iíll check back later when I have any significant progress to report. I am looking forward to when my balance/equilibrium/vision is 100%.
The same thing happened to me Ive gone thru all sorts of Drs and it can be quite depressing in social events.

Closed Thread