It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
(female)

Halley888 HB User
Severe Dizziness, Vertigo since levothyroxine dosage increase

I had a total thyroidectomy about 9 years ago. I've been on 88 mcg. of levothyroxine most of that time.

A few months ago, my Endo increased my dosage of levothyroxine from 88 mcg. to 100 due to a TSH of 6.9 & severe muscle aches, fatigue, etc. I had been on 88 for about 7 years. After a week of being on the increased dosage (100 mcg.), I had heart palpitations and severe dizziness. I was taken off and put back on 88 mcg. My TSH is now 2.02. My Adrenal cortisol level was also checked because of fatigue and it was 24. Endo said that was borderline, so she didn't treat it.

I still have the dizziness, vertigo. I can't even drive. Also, being on the computer, makes it worse.

I'm laid off and am waiting to see a doctor at a Free Clinic because I have no health insurance. Can the Meds be causing the dizziness? I had been in a car accident a year ago and got vertigo 2 wks. after accident. It lasted about 5 months. Now it's back again.

The dizziness returned after my dosage was increased. That's why I suspect the Meds.

I would appreciate some help. The vertigo or dizziness is horrible. I also have the shakes and severe anxiety.

Thanks,
Halley888

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Severe Dizziness, Vertigo since levothyroxine dosage increase

If your cortisol levels were borderline then you've probably got adrenal fatigue going on. Saliva cortisol testing is the best way to test for that and the treatment is a physiologic dose of hydrocortisone to provide the cortisol your body needs. Not having an income or insurance severly curtails your ability to get good testing and a good physician's care though.

If you have adrenal fatigue then your thyroid hormones are not getting where they need to be, in the cells. Your high TSH seems to back this up. Raising the dose of the T4 won't make things better, and can make you feel worse. Adding T3 may also be in order for optimal treatment but the adrenal fatigue must be addressed first.

Last edited by javelina; 02-22-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread