It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 03:45 AM   #16
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ashland, KY, USA
Posts: 8
rtwinam HB User
Re: Undiagnosed Chronic Vertigo

hmmm I have been thinking a lot. Right before my vertigo started I wasn't sleeping well at all, had hot flashes and day sweats going strong. I had been under a lot of stress at home and work. My memory got really bad especially with names. My neck and shoulders were absolutley killing me. After I read a thread on hormones related to pre and post menopause, I am wondering if it is those hormones going creazy causing all this? Good Luck to your also and keep me updated.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Irockalot View Post
I saw one of my neurologists three weeks ago and he agreed my "rocking and bobbing" might by MdDS (Mal de Debarquement). He prescribed a low dose antidepressant (nortriptyline) which I could increase over the course of a month. This is used to deter migraines, which I don't have, but which are often associated with MdDS. So far I can't see any improvement, but I'll keep taking them. I went from 10mg to 20mg after 3 weeks, and will increase to 30mg after a couple more weeks and see if that helps. Somehow I don't hold out much hope. He did mention that anxiety can cause some of these symptoms, but didn't think that was it in my case. I agree with mkmoh that that almost seems like a cop-out coming from a non-psychologist/psychitrist. However, I do have a friend who had straight-forward vertigo and it did seem to turn out to be related to stress and anxiety about his job, so who knows! Everyone hang in. Maybe we'll get answers and relief soon. Good luck!

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #17
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SG
Posts: 1
hhymh HB User
Re: Undiagnosed Chronic Vertigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwinam View Post
hmmm I have been thinking a lot. Right before my vertigo started I wasn't sleeping well at all, had hot flashes and day sweats going strong. I had been under a lot of stress at home and work. My memory got really bad especially with names. My neck and shoulders were absolutley killing me. After I read a thread on hormones related to pre and post menopause, I am wondering if it is those hormones going creazy causing all this? Good Luck to your also and keep me updated.
Same. I was also not sleeping well (insomnia), not eating well (only eating fried oily foods and no vege, fruits at all), and also under tremendous stress (mental).. then suddenly, I woke up with chronic vertigo (24/7 drunk kind) that has persisted for the past 2 years..

I really believe the insomnia, diet, life style and stress all ganged up to cause this..

 
Old 02-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 8
Irockalot HB User
Wink Re: Undiagnosed Chronic Vertigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhymh View Post
Same. I was also not sleeping well (insomnia), not eating well (only eating fried oily foods and no vege, fruits at all), and also under tremendous stress (mental).. then suddenly, I woke up with chronic vertigo (24/7 drunk kind) that has persisted for the past 2 years..

I really believe the insomnia, diet, life style and stress all ganged up to cause this..
Hi hhymh and rtwinam - I am doing another round of vestibular therapy, having had a CT of the "earbones" and all the vestibular tests. Aren't those a lot of fun!!! So far the therapy isn't producing the desired result. I still have the floor bouncing like crazy under my feet. But - I'm with hhymh in that I really don't sleep well - or long enough. I haven't figured out a solution to that either. I've been exercising, walking, doing Tai Chi, and yoga, which you would think would help. My diet is reasonably good, if not perfect. But this situation - the rocking - has been going on for 15 months now. No end in sight. I keep saying that the only stress in my life is deciding which "toy" to play with today - I'm retired and spend lots of time with my art stuff. Sketching, watercolor, colored pencil, etc. You see what I mean about decisions. I wish I could say that someone or something has come to my rescue - but no such luck! So, I guess we just need to hang tight and hope for a miracle!

 
Old 10-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
NottinghamC HB User
Re: Undiagnosed Chronic Vertigo

I've had a lot of similar problems that have been eased with proper dietary choices. If you've tried everything I would highly suggest you give this a shot. As an alcoholic you might find it difficult, but your alcoholism is also indicative of a systemic Candidia infection. Basically, you avoid any yeast, refined sugars, pastas, alcohol, dairy or anything that feeds the infection. Eat lots of proteins, I highly recommend fish. Along with fresh vegetables and fruits with low sugar content such as green apples. Cottage cheese and plain yogurt are okay because they possess anti-fungal properties. Staying away from anything corn fed if possible.. Although not necessary. You can find a variety of different diets with a little bit of searching. One thing is for sure though, you will have to stop drinking. I think this will help you a lot more than you would think.. I was drinking and drugging a lot for a long time, and I've suffered from the symptoms you mentioned plus a whole lot more. It's worked for me.. Hopefully it'll work for you as well. Good luck.

Last edited by NottinghamC; 10-17-2012 at 05:07 PM.

 
Old 10-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #20
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 8
Irockalot HB User
Question Re: Undiagnosed Chronic Vertigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NottinghamC View Post
I've had a lot of similar problems that have been eased with proper dietary choices. If you've tried everything I would highly suggest you give this a shot. As an alcoholic you might find it difficult, but your alcoholism is also indicative of a systemic Candidia infection. .
I'm sure a healthy diet is important, and as I stated earlier, mine may not be perfect, but it is pretty wholesome. However, I am not an alcoholic, if that was addressed to me. I have not seen anything in this thread that indicated that anyone else was either, so that is probably not what is behind our various symptoms. I hope you have continued success with your sobriety and improved health. Thank you.

 
Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #21
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
pavelototti HB User
Re: Undiagnosed Chronic Vertigo

I have also been in the same boat for the past 10 years !!! i am 40 now and what a decade !!!! full of suffering...I just cannot imagine myself going for another decade with the same symptoms.

Story short:
ten years ago i woke up with a whirling vertigo, which then eventually faded but kept me in a constant state of imbalance/dizziness all day long....From the time i wake up in the morning, until the time i go back to bed, i am chronically dizzy and no balance.

I made all the blood tests you can think of with all the scannings you can also think of, and all were OK...i visited more than 60 doctors and professors in different countries, but no one could help me....i spent more than 25,000 $ on my condition but my condition as of today is still the SAME as before !.....i tried all the different types of drugs of the same family, but nothing worked...the herbal ones also didn't...the old grandma or ancestors ideas also did not work...etc....I tried the vestibular rehab but it did not work also.

The only time i am fine is when i am driving the car on a straight road, but as soon as the car stops, my head becomes heavy and dizzy......

After extensive research, i got myself diagnosed having "Mal de debarquement", eventhough i haven't officially been diagnosed by any doctor (because i believe they all haven't heard about it)


Anxiety meds (such as xanax) helped me the most but did not cure me...Also one SSRI helped called (Cipralex) but also did not cure me....In fact even if was totally stress free/anxious free, i still have dizziness and balance issues


I really wonder why the medical field has no idea about all this.

P.S: i also prayed alot - for years, and it did not work

I believe my case is now hopeless .

 
The following user gives a hug of support to pavelototti:
Irockalot (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #22
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 8
Irockalot HB User
Re: Undiagnosed Chronic Vertigo

To pavelototti -- I am truly sorry you have been having this difficulty for such a long time. I noticed that you said you feel OK while driving a car. That is true for me as well - driving or riding in a car. I have added water aerobics to my exercise classes and, surprisingly, the "rocking" does not affect me in the water either. I'm guessing that is because I am indeed rocking, so the "false" rocking is masked. I try really hard to go on with my life - my family activities, my hobbies (art and piano), and the rest. I do a lot of exercise, including working with a personal trainer. Sometimes those sessions get challenging when we are getting up and down, bending, etc. Most of the time I can carry on, but sometimes by evening I am totally and completely fatigued! Then I find it almost impossible to do much - like make my piano music stop "bouncing" in front of me, or read anything significant. But it doesn't assure a good night's sleep, either. Because my symptoms appear to have increased I would like to return to the neurologist and have another brain scan to see if there has been any change in the past year. I am going to propose that to my primary doctor later this month. It is really a peculiar situation I find myself in. At age 71 I find myself in better shape in mostly than I have been in many, many years - stronger, better BP, cholesterol, weight, etc. But at the same time there are nights that I go to bed honestly wondering if I will be able to stand up on arising in the morning. Very strange, is it not? Still hoping for a resolution. And hoping that folks will some day stop saying "you're alright" or "you just think you're moving". Or, worst - "It's all in your head." Best of luck to you pavelototti and the rest of you out there!

 
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Georgia USA
Posts: 1
Dizzy in GA HB User
Re: Undiagnosed Chronic Vertigo

Have you tried Klonopin? I have suffered similarly to you for about three years. After 1/3 of a dose (full pill is 5mg) last night I feel like a person again. It is absolutely amazing. The Dr said it changes how the signals from the eyes and ears affect the brain. All I know is that it is working great and hope I can stay this way after essentially muddling through life with no joy being constantly dizzy all this time. This med is addictive if abused so I will have to be careful. I had all the vestibular testing done but didn't hear the results - you know how hard it is to communicate when dizzy - he didn't volunteer and I was too distracted to remember to ask. What a difference a day makes. I will ask on next visit.

 
Old 02-16-2013, 02:14 AM   #24
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 8
Irockalot HB User
Smile Re: Undiagnosed Chronic Vertigo

Thanks, Dizzy in GA-- I will definitely pursue this on my next visit to the neurologist. I'll try anything to get steady ground under my feet again! I am so glad it is working for you.

 
Old 03-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #25
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Myrtle Beach
Posts: 10
bubba967 HB User
Re: Undiagnosed Chronic Vertigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmoh View Post
Hi, I have to say that I totally understand where you're coming from! It's been a year and a half for me dealing with vertigo, and despite about every type of test imaginable, I haven't found any relief either.

My ENT actually suggested vestibular migraines and prescribed a low-dose anti-depressent to stop attacks, but that didn't help, so I'm not sure if migraines are really the culprit. He also suggested that I just have anxiety, which kind of pisses me off the more I think about it. I know that psychological issues can most definitely cause physical symptoms, but I don't feel particularly anxious. If I have any anxiety, it's DUE to the dizziness & having to miss so much work because of it. It's a bit annoying to have an ENT try to issue a psychological dianosis just because he doesn't have the answer to my problem.

Like someone else said, I wonder about MS because along with the dizziness, I've had other odd symptoms like GI trouble, numbness, the list goes on...

All I know is that I sympathize with everyone in this thread, yet it's comforting to know I'm not alone.
Have you found any relief as of yet? I have very similar symptoms.

 
Old 03-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #26
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Myrtle Beach
Posts: 10
bubba967 HB User
Re: Undiagnosed Chronic Vertigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelototti View Post
I have also been in the same boat for the past 10 years !!! i am 40 now and what a decade !!!! full of suffering...I just cannot imagine myself going for another decade with the same symptoms.

Story short:
ten years ago i woke up with a whirling vertigo, which then eventually faded but kept me in a constant state of imbalance/dizziness all day long....From the time i wake up in the morning, until the time i go back to bed, i am chronically dizzy and no balance.

I made all the blood tests you can think of with all the scannings you can also think of, and all were OK...i visited more than 60 doctors and professors in different countries, but no one could help me....i spent more than 25,000 $ on my condition but my condition as of today is still the SAME as before !.....i tried all the different types of drugs of the same family, but nothing worked...the herbal ones also didn't...the old grandma or ancestors ideas also did not work...etc....I tried the vestibular rehab but it did not work also.

The only time i am fine is when i am driving the car on a straight road, but as soon as the car stops, my head becomes heavy and dizzy......

After extensive research, i got myself diagnosed having "Mal de debarquement", eventhough i haven't officially been diagnosed by any doctor (because i believe they all haven't heard about it)


Anxiety meds (such as xanax) helped me the most but did not cure me...Also one SSRI helped called (Cipralex) but also did not cure me....In fact even if was totally stress free/anxious free, i still have dizziness and balance issues


I really wonder why the medical field has no idea about all this.

P.S: i also prayed alot - for years, and it did not work

I believe my case is now hopeless .
I feel your pain. Its been 8 years for me as well. All DAY LONG...I have been misdiagnosed multiple times. I cannot walk right and cannot drive any more. CONSTANT swaying and dizziness. I went all over and lost all of my possessions, car, house and money. Now I am 45 years old living on disability. None of the doctors in my town will see me anymore. They say there is nothing they can do for me. Feels great to know that NO ONE will help you doesnt it? God Bless you and good luck...Maybe we are hopeless...

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
for the undiagnosed dont forget these things as most drs dont bother lib Inner Ear Disorders 173 02-07-2008 08:13 PM
Undiagnosed chronic condition-constant spasms in head, neck, mouth, spine. AngelMomFL General Health 2 12-02-2007 03:58 PM
Undiagnosed chronic pain-constant spasms in head, neck, mouth, spine. AngelMomFL Chronic Pain 1 12-01-2007 01:31 PM
chronic tension headaches boxerlover227 Headaches & Migraines 192 07-29-2007 05:41 PM
undiagnosed and alone! Dizziness most prominent symptom now shesson Open to All Other Health Topics 6 01-23-2007 03:58 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



bindar (39), leeshy215 (18), lfanner (9), warpony2310 (7), fatmommacat (6), wolfcafe (4), wellyoulookfine (3), Rellie61 (3), AmberWaves91 (3), Bren819 (3)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1004), Apollo123 (903), Titchou (847), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (754), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (668), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:35 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!