It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
(male)

rlghdude HB User
Chronic Mild Positional Vertigo (>4 yrs). BPPV or CPPV?

Hi all,

I am sorta new to this board. I have some questions for those of you who may have done more research than me. I have had a Chronic, mild, positional vertigo/nystagmus since about 2006-07. I have never really cared all that much about medical stuff and just told myself back then that it was probably nothing to worry about and just moved on with my life simply because it was not disabling, only annoying. It is a very mild thing but it is constant. Every time I dangle my head down toward the floor, I get the vertigo/nystagmus, the room starts spinning and ceases in about 5-10 seconds. I know it is Nystagmus because I caught it on a recorder. Seems to be more of a verticle movement with mild rotation. The problem arises when I try to utilize the Dix-Hallpike maneuvre. I do not have the dizziness when my head it angled 45 deg. either side, only when my head is held strainght back. The dizziness is worst the first time that I do it, and then fatigues with each attempt. The whole process is repeatable in 5 minutes or so. There is also a very mild latency < 5 seconds.

Does this sound like BPPV? Or is this something that is indicative of a central problem/lesion?

Thanks for the help

Old 01-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: Chronic Mild Positional Vertigo (>4 yrs). BPPV or CPPV?

The positional nature and fatiguing, and latency of the vertigo are classic signs of BPPV. It is unlikely that you have a central problem or lesion. You most likely have BPPV of the posterior canal, which can be treated with 1 or 2 Epley maneuvers. However, you must first diagnose which ear is the problematic one. If you cant figure out which side is the bad one, then treat one side with 3 Epley maneuvers daily for seven days. If you still have vertigo, then treat the other side the same way the following week. There is a 95% chance that your BPPV will be cured with this method. If not, then you need to see an ENT.

Last edited by bindar; 01-06-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread