It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
(female)

Dizzykelly521 HB User
Exclamation Pre-syncope

Im 18 and for 3 months now, after i passed out while getting a flu shot (i dont like needles) ive had pre-syncope. and it seems as time goes by it has gotten worse. first i would have faintish feelings every day occasionaly, now its still here but i also have constant motion sickness which im on meclizine for. ive been to a cardiologist,the ER, neurologist, and ENT and everything seems to be normal. the only good thing that has come out of this is ive had it for so long now that im just now starting to pick up on some things that are causing it like anxiety and being in crowds or in the hot weather. ive done research on what causes it and whatnot which ive passed tests, so now im just looking for ways to help me get through a day and have fun as a teenager instead of feeling sick all the time and being afraid of passing out. so if anyone has any ideas on how to lesson the sideeffects or whatnot, please,im very willing to listen.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
(female)

smickens09 HB User
Re: Pre-syncope

I'm a 23 year old female and I started developing vasovagal syncope and presyncope reactions when I was 12 years old. The first time was when I was running down the hallway late to math class and accidentally stabbed myself in the leg with the point of my compass, haha. I haven't fully lost consciousness in quite a while because I recognize the symptoms now, but presyncope is just as debilitating and makes you feel horrible for hours afterward.

I also became very faint from getting the flu shot this year - I'm happy to hear that you did too just because I felt like a complete loser. Everyone understands fainting from getting blood drawn - it's a big huge needle, right? But people aren't very sympathetic about the little stuff. At least I'm not the only one!

Just today I tried to donate blood for the 8th time (I've only been able to successfully donate twice and the most recent time was in 2006) and spent a long time preparing ahead of time - ate a large healthy meal, drank tons of water, and tried to prepare mentally by thinking lots of positive affirmations about how everything was going to go well, I wasn't going to faint, etc. Then I went for the pre-donation routine and went into presyncope when they *****ed my finger to check my iron!! Needless to say, I figured there was no way I'd make it to the big needle.
I'm sharing all this to make the point that I understand what you're going through and understand your frustration. After coming home crying today I decided to do some research to see if there's any way to control this, and found a really encouraging article that says that crossing your legs and tensing your lower body muscles can quickly increase blood pressure to your brain, thus preventing or delaying the syncope reaction.
I haven't tried this yet myself but I saw a lot of anecdotal response from readers who said it worked for them. It's worth a try!
I wish you well and hope that both of us can kick this thing. I'm a very independent and stubborn person and I hate having this limitation that I feel I can't control.
One quick question though: do you know if your iron levels are ok? When I tried to give blood today, even if I hadn't fainted I wouldn't have been allowed to because apparently I'm anemic. I wonder how that plays into things?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
(female)

Dizzykelly521 HB User

hi! im glad you replied! its nice to know im not alone. yes i did have my iron levels checked to see if i was anemic and i was healthy. they say u can feel faint and even pass out when ur anemic because since u have a low iron count, iron is what transports the oxygen in ur body. hence, not getting enough oxygen right away= night night time. hahaha. but actually it was really weird. i went home for christmas break and by the end of the month i was pretty much returned to normal with no faintish feelings. so im wondering if maybe i had an viral infection or there might possibly be mold in my dorm room. so who knows! but i hope you are having luck with your symptoms! and eat healthy so that ur anemia is kept under control

Old 02-21-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
(female)

Legsy03 HB User

I've always been 'prone' to fainting and I've probably fainted 6 or 7 times throughout my life (I'm in my 30s). Most of the fainting spells happened in childhood and twice about 2 years ago. I've actually had seizures a few times aswell, this was caused by overheating from the shower (and the spa incident, 2 years ago). I often feel dizzy and lightheaded, especially in crowds or during hot weather. I find that bright lights affect me aswell (like those used in large shopping centres) so I try to avoid those places as much as possible. My doctor wanted to do an EEG on me after I had seizures the last time but then he changed his mind. I hate the 'pre-syncope' symptoms and I find they happen more if I'm stressed or tired. Standing in long lines doesn't help either, especially in supermarkets.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
(female)

kebabbey HB User

I am 18 (19 in 2 weeks ) and suffer greatly from Syncope. I hate it with a passion, but have been diagnosed for a year and know the signs etc.
The signs I notice are usually getting hot, feeling sick, feeling light-headed, and/or getting a headache.
There are many things that cause these attacks, and I have noticed that these things can do so:
- change of temperature (going into a warm shop from outside etc)
- extreme temperature, being warm OR cold
- standing up for too long
- being tired
- being stressed
- being upset
- being hungry
- being thirsty

There are a few things that you can do if you feel an attack coming on, and these are:
- eating (eating little snacks, and regularly can greatly prevent attacks, and eating more salt helps me too- the doctor recommended that )
- tensing your leg muscles (if you're in a queue or having to stand up for a long time etc)
- sitting down for a rest (if you feel really bad, put your head between your legs)
- drinking something
I really hope these help, because I know how hard this condition is, and it totally changes your lifestyle

Old 06-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
(female)

nightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB User

do you have dizzyness (vertigo) almost constantly? You may be vitamin D deficient..

Old 06-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
(female)

nightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB User

To legsy, get ur heart checked..You sound like me..I actually broke my nose one time when I fell on it. Passed out after a hot shower another time, been happening since I was 18. I take med for my heart condition, which helps, somewhat. now also have an artificial cardiac defibbrillator installed, to shock my heart rhythms when it happens...

Last edited by nightingale00; 06-09-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Closed Thread