It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
(female)

TempleofGod HB User
Dizziness/Vertigo feelings

In November 2009 i was having a strange sound in my left inner ear that was so uncomfortable, i couldn't hear clearly with the affected ear. I went to see a medical Dr. that prescribed some drugs for me and promised the sound was going to go off. About three month later, i started feeling as if everywhere is spinning with a heavy blurred vision & lightheaded. I visited an ENT Dr. that prescribed some drugs for me. I have been on these drugs for the past 6months now. The only improvement i have now is, no much blurred vision again and no more sound in my ear again. I am always feeling lightheaded, spinning & a time some part of my body will be Numb especially at night when I lie down to have my rest. Please I need someone to give me words of comfort and what to use to cure the spinning & lightheaded feelings, because i am always feeling as if Iím going to die anytime. I donít want my kids to lose me soon. Thank you.
I have been on: Giloba 1x2 daily, stugeron 1x2 daily, stemetil 1x2 daily, Neurovit Forte 1x2daily, Ciprofloxacin 1x2daily, Emvite Super 1x1daily

Old 01-07-2011, 04:44 AM   #2
(female)

Mandymia HB User
Re: Dizziness/Vertigo feelings

Hello. I had surgery to treat my vertigo. I was diagnosed of having benign positional vertigo when I was 23 years old. It was the most sickening feeling I ever experienced and lasted several days. It felt like the walls were closing in on me. I was vomiting alot that lasted several days. Stemetil helped but the cause of this problem has almost cost me my hearing.I had it in my left ear. Everytime I lay down on that side my head was turning like a rolling coaster ride. It's to do with the crystals floating more on one side to one ear than the other and gives you that motion sickness. Now my hearing is better however I still have bousts of vertigo but very minor and may last up to 1 day better than several days. I was given the option to have surgery and I am glad I did because my hearing repaired itself and now I don't always get it. Hope you feel better soon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

It is possible that your tinnitus and pressure in your left ear is not connected to your dizziness now. Your condition is likely related to Migraine Associated Vertigo, labyrinthitis, or Meneires. Does the severity of your dizzyness symptoms coincide with the severity of tinnitus or a pressure feeling in your ears?

Additionally, it is possible that you may have BPPV because it commonly follows MAV, labyrinthitis or meneires. I would suggest looking up the Epley maneuver and trying it on both sides of your head to see if that helps at all.

You should try to see a different doctor and see if they have anything new to say. In the meantime, it is VERY unlikely that you are going to die. Most people will experience a balance problem sometime in their life, this is normal. Keep your spirits up!

Last edited by bindar; 01-07-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
(female)

Mandymia HB User

I already had my surgery in 2008. I don't have vertigo symptoms as often as I used to. I am much better now. I had no intention of believing that this was a life threatning illness. It was just an annoyance when trying to sleep on the affected side. This lead me to have this surgery so that I can get on with my life without my head spinning violently as I had for the past 15 years. It was Miniers Disease.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
(female)

Mandymia HB User

You won't die. I think you will benefit from an operation. I had it in March 2005 and it was the best thing I ever did. That damn diziness still comes on suddenly but not as violent as it used to be. Having this operation means redusing all of these medications you are taking because of Vertigo. Believe me you will feel the world of difference. You will not lose your balance from there after. It will take a few days after surgery to regain your balance but you will feel better after then. Please be aware that you may lose your hearing more if you don't have surgery to fix this problem. BPV is not dangerous illness but could get worse and is very annoying to have. A very very sickening feeling. Good luck with that. Hope you think this through.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

Mandymia is referring to the treatment to her problem, which was diagnosed as Meneires disease. It is highly unlikely that you will have to follow the same procedures that she went through.

Since your dizzyness is constant, I doubt that you have Meneires disease, as a Meneires attack usually last a few hours or up to one day.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
(female)

maryanne-k HB User

Hi,
I've been suffering from BPPV since 2005, it's been extremely difficult...Did you have the posterior canal occlusion surgery? How are you after the surgery? I would like to have the surgery but there doesnt' seem to be a lot of information as to what happens after...

I hope your doing well^^

Old 03-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne-k View Post
Hi,
I've been suffering from BPPV since 2005, it's been extremely difficult...Did you have the posterior canal occlusion surgery? How are you after the surgery? I would like to have the surgery but there doesnt' seem to be a lot of information as to what happens after...

I hope your doing well^^
Several members on this board, as well as other boards, have documented the results of their surguries. I would suggest using the search feature of the forum.

I have seen several patient recover within a few weeks of light activity.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
(female)

Mandymia HB User

Hi there and thank you for your thread in the BPPV topic. I had surgery in 2008 and since then it only have minor attacks that lasts up to a few hours to one day. Before surgery I couldn't sleep on my left ear as I felt that the room was closing in on me and my head started spinning. I was in Florida in 2007 when my mother had spinal surgery and while I was in the hotel room with mum I had a very nasty attack and it upset me very much as I had to look after her since her spinal surgery and I was unable to do that when I was very sick and vomitting with BPPV. These little attacks that I get now is quite common and unfortunately can't fix itself to never get it again but I certainly understand that surgery changed my life and that I am able to now sleep on my left side without a head spin. When you get a minor attach that lasts for a day or two the doctor can do the head manouvering procedure and sometimes that can be helpful as well. Unfortunately though if vertigo doesn't get treated and left as is without surgery likely chance your hearing will be impaired a little as mine is a fare bit of loss on my left ear. After surgery the other ear will also be affected and you will lose your balance for a few days because they tampered with the cannal in surgery but it will eventually correct itself and you will be able to do things after a few days. I stayed in hospital for 5 days. I am very happy that I agreed to surgery and I didn't have to put up with dizziness, nausea and vomitting through this head spin any longer. Surgery is your better option if stemitil does not work. I don't know if you have Serc in the States. This works for some people with BPPV symptoms not all unfortunately. I hope this information helps,

Take care and hope you feel better soon.

Mandymia

Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #10
(female)

maryanne-k HB User

hi,

thankyou for your reply...

you had surgery in 2005 or 2008?

were you diagnosed with meniere or bppv?

how are you doing now?

why do you still get vertigo if you had the surgery?

after the surgery you have bppv in your other ear too?

how do you feel now?

can you sleep and roll and move your head anyway you want on the bad ear?

i hope you're doing well! ^^

thankyou,
maryanne-k

Old 03-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
(female)

Mandymia HB User

Hello Maryanne K,

Thank you for your reply. I was diagnosed as having bppv. After having surgery on my left ear in March 2008, I stayed in hospital for several days until I regain my balance. The doctor said that having diziness after the surgery is quite normal as they fiddled around with the crystals within the canal itself and caused a lot of what you call motion sickness. After 1 week in hospital I could reach the ground without falling and was discharged home. Nowdays since the surgery I still get vertigo but that's a temporary reoccurence that vertigo sufferers get from time to time and it only goes for a short time. Without this operation I would be going through hell with it. It got to the stage where enough was enough and chances were in a minor risk of meningitis, swelling around the brain or deafness. It was a precausion that doctors use with there terminology. I was looking after my mother as her carer and all of a sudden I had this massive head spin when we were in America after her spinal surgery I was meant to be looking after her but instead she was looking after me. That time I decided I was going to go through with the surgery and to hell with the risks I thought to my self. I became emotional within good reason and I lost so much time off work to recover from vertigo and it would last for a few days. You couldn't drive or go out anyway and would always vomit all day. You feel that the walls are closing in on you when your head spins.

I am much better now and when rolling over left and right in bed I don't wake up with a head spin. But however I still get the short wave rush when I turn to my left. My surgeon used to do the manouvre trick with me but it never worked, in fact it got worse. After avoiding surgery for far too long I developed some degree of deafness on the left ear, but I can still manage to hear my phone go off. :-)

How are you coping with vertigo? Do you still have the symptoms as bad as I had? How is your sleeping pattern like with vertigo? Do you take medications? Mind you they don't work.

Keep in touch, Mandymia xx

Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 AM   #12
(female)

maryanne-k HB User

hello,

thankyou for replying so quickly.

you had your surgery 3 years ago but you still get vertigo?

i thought after surgery you do not have anymore vertigo...

do you get vertigo when you roll or lay on your operated ear?

which ear did you have bppv in?

can you live a normal life?

what i mean is... do you sleep and move your head in any position you want?

can you go out with family and friends and not get vertigo or strong dizziness?

where did you get your surgery and what is the name of the surgery you had done?

i've had vertigo the first time and didn't know what it was... so i felt a little lightheaded at times but 1 1/2 months later... i rolled over onto my left side and again vertigo hit.

then i went to see 3 top ent at upenn hospital, bryn mawr hospital, and thomas jefferson hospital... they all tried to lay me down and provoke the vertigo but nothing happened...

i had mri, eng testing, caloric testing, hearing testing, and etc...
everything came out normal.

the one ent has bppv in his right ear for 30 years and gets about 2 less vertigo and 2 severe vertigo each ear but he syas life is great...

then since my second reoccurnce i never lay or roll or sleep on my left side.
always slept on my back...
don't really sleep on my right side because after my second reoccurence my neck started to be sore cause i was afraid to move my head.

almost 6 years later i started to roll my head around for neck exercises and one month later felt a little strange and asked my husband to do the epley to check and i had bppv again. so after epley slept upright for 2 nights and then saw doctor and tried to provoke the vertigo but nothing happened and told me to sleep upright 4 nights and then act normal again. that happened
Jan 29,2011. it's been almost 2 months and feeling the way i always did the past 6 years...
but if i lean my head down towards my left shoulder i get a strange feeling that i've always had since i first got bppv... a feel woozy at times each day.
doctor wants me to roll and do everything normal activities and if bppv reoccurs wants me to come back and get the epley and do physical therapy because i'm not suppose to have this woozy feeling for 6 years.
after his bppv, he does epley and feels slight dizzy for a few days and then he feels fine after and lives his life.

i'm glad that you're doing well^^
hope life is great!
sorry for the long post...

Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
(female)

Mandymia HB User

Hello Maryanne K,

Having bppv does not mean you cannot get out an enjoy life. Ok it's a nuisence having it but best advise is to have surgery to get rid of the worst of it. Vertigo happens when the crystals become loose and they fall into the semi curcular canals when you move your head as you sleep and gives you that motion sickening feeling even though your head is still.

Since having the surgery my life is far better off and I am so glad my ent surgeon talked me into having it. If this becomes a problem for more than 1 year you really need to have it done. Trust me you will find that you made the right choice. Even when you have the surgery there will still be vertigo but not as often, very rarely you will have an episode again within 3 to 6 months and this will only be minor. These tests that you have done other than MRI don't really show up with BPPV.

I had surgery in Adelaide, Australia. The doctor's name was Dr Micheal Shultz.

Best wishes and I hope that you don't suffer for too long. I know exactly how you are feeling because it's a S.O.B of a condition. Feel free to ask me about anything else on Vertigo.

Mandymia

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-25-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Mandymia, thank you for sharing your personal experience with canal occusion surgury. I am also a candidate for the surgury, so it is nice to talk to someone who knows about it!

I noticed that you said untreated BPPV will cause hearing loss, luckily this is actually not true because this condition does not damage the hearing organs of the middle or inner ear.

All symptoms of vertigo are relieved in the majority of canal occlusion patents. However, there are a few who have mild problems with vertigo/dizziness. This may be caused by annother underlying cause of vertigo, as BPPV is more common in patients who have other types of vestibular/central problems.

The following user gives a hug of support to bindar:
Mandymia (03-27-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to bindar For This Useful Post:
Mandymia (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 04:44 AM   #15
(female)

Mandymia HB User

Hope that you don't have to suffer any longer because it is an annoying illness that knowone should have to go through. When you have the surgery please keep me up to date to see how it worked for you.

Good luck to you and to all vertigo sufferers.

Mandymia

Closed Thread