It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
(female)

SeaJayGee HB User
Dizziness

Hi, My name is Cory.
I'm a teen and I'm looking for an answer to my problems.

As far back as I can remember, I have been dizzy pretty much every day of my life. I've only been to the doctor a few times. They have always told me it is due to anxiety. Yes, I am a very stressful person. I am a perfectionist and fill my life with many activities. I participate in basketball, cross country, softball, soccer, and with all this perfect attendance and straight As. These spells that have been happening to me throughout my life make these activities hard to enjoy. I do suffer from occasional migraines, the ones sometimes numbing parts of my face and taking part of my vision. When I become dizzy feeling, it will be at some of the happiest and most joyful times, that is why I do not think it could be anxiety. My head feels swarmed with this uneasy feeling. My body seems to be rocking and pulling, shifting and turning. I feel as if the ground is coming from underneath me. I have never thrown up or blacked out from this. Also, i feel as if I am on the end of a string with the wind blowing. Being a young child, I can remember riding on rollercoaster at amusement parks, and then later that night feeling that sensation while trying to sleep. This has caused me to to stop rising any type of amusement ride. I also seem to have back pains in the upper part of my back occasionally. It is so hard for me to explain, but this is ruining my life and I need help. So please, whoever reads this explain to me what I need to do. I don't want to be scared and helpless for the rest of my life, and I know this is not normal to feel like this.
Thanks,
Cory

Last edited by Mod-S4; 05-09-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
(male)

Ryan484 HB User
Re: Dizziness

Have you had an MRI? I have recently been experiencing dizziness and it usually comes from one of two areas: central (which is your brain) or vestibular (which is your balance mechanisms in your ears). So an MRI would be able to rule out the brain aspect.

Also, if you look up BPPV and it seems like your symptoms match it, then there are exercises you can do yourself, at home, called Epley Manuever that can help realign the crystals inside your inner ears. But it doesn't seem like BPPV to me (you would experience dizziness when putting your head in certain positions).

You can read my thread in the "Brain Tumors" section..I've had these feelings since December. It's quite scary, because I had a brain tumor when I was 9 and am scared that it's come back. But our symptoms sound relatively similar...see what you think!

Old 02-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
(male)

Leroyeastbay HB User

Hello Cory,

My name is Leroy and I am 48 years old. I became constantly lightheaded sometime around 5-8 years ago. I can't remember the exact day or event because it came on gradually. Now almost everyday is that way for me. I have had every test done under the sun and still I have not an answer.
I can relate very well to your circumstances. I have been told that I am ADD, ADHD, Obsessive Compulsive, Bi-Polar, Sleep Apnea, anxiety, depression, and even that I am just thinking too negatively. I like you have a very difficult time being able to enjoy life much anymore.
I don't even seem to be able to enjoy the good times either. I have been on a strict diet and have changed to a healthy lifestyle. I have been being treated using neuro-therapy. All has done little to thwart the constant lightheadedness.
I am starting a neurotransmitter protocol to see if that will help.
I wish that I could be of more direct help for you. I am really impressed how much you are able to still do but I know in my heart that you really ache for an answer as I do.
I wish you the very best of luck and just know that you aren't all alone although it may likely feel that way to you.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

Cory,

Are there certain triggers that make your dizziness worse? For example, moving your head in a particular position, fluorescent lights, sound sensitivity, a ringing sound in the ears.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
(male)

Leroyeastbay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindarren View Post
Cory,

Are there certain triggers that make your dizziness worse? For example, moving your head in a particular position, fluorescent lights, sound sensitivity, a ringing sound in the ears.
All the things you mentioned not only can trigger dizziness but every item that you described can also amplify the dizziness. That often leads to a great deal of frustration and can lead to an anger outburst.
I often feel isolated and very lonely when the dizziness is most severe. It also causes me to become profoundly impaired from being alert and thinking clearly. It also leads to chronic fatigue cycles with me.
I am scheduled to see a highly regarded chiropractor on Monday, February 7th to review x-rays and see if there are nerves being pinched off by my vertebra in the neck area that leads to the brain.
I am also planning on scheduling an appointment with a neurotologist who specialize in inner ear/brain issues that can cause constant dizziness.

Leroy

Old 02-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroyeastbay View Post
All the things you mentioned not only can trigger dizziness but every item that you described can also amplify the dizziness. That often leads to a great deal of frustration and can lead to an anger outburst.
I often feel isolated and very lonely when the dizziness is most severe. It also causes me to become profoundly impaired from being alert and thinking clearly. It also leads to chronic fatigue cycles with me.
I am scheduled to see a highly regarded chiropractor on Monday, February 7th to review x-rays and see if there are nerves being pinched off by my vertebra in the neck area that leads to the brain.
I am also planning on scheduling an appointment with a neurotologist who specialize in inner ear/brain issues that can cause constant dizziness.

Leroy
Leroy, I asked Cory about sensitivity to particular types of lighting and sound because they are common symptoms with Migraine Associated Vertigo cases. You do not need to experience migraine headaches to have MAV, and it is often overlooked by doctors.

Your doctors will probably want to do tests and MRI's for central and vestibular problems. If no problems are found, I would definitely discuss the possibility of MAV. I would suggest that you both (Leroy and Cory) speak to your doctors about this being a possibility.

Last edited by bindar; 02-07-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
(female)

SeaJayGee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroyeastbay View Post
Hello Cory,

My name is Leroy and I am 48 years old. I became constantly lightheaded sometime around 5-8 years ago. I can't remember the exact day or event because it came on gradually. Now almost everyday is that way for me. I have had every test done under the sun and still I have not an answer.
I can relate very well to your circumstances. I have been told that I am ADD, ADHD, Obsessive Compulsive, Bi-Polar, Sleep Apnea, anxiety, depression, and even that I am just thinking too negatively. I like you have a very difficult time being able to enjoy life much anymore.
I don't even seem to be able to enjoy the good times either. I have been on a strict diet and have changed to a healthy lifestyle. I have been being treated using neuro-therapy. All has done little to thwart the constant lightheadedness.
I am starting a neurotransmitter protocol to see if that will help.
I wish that I could be of more direct help for you. I am really impressed how much you are able to still do but I know in my heart that you really ache for an answer as I do.
I wish you the very best of luck and just know that you aren't all alone although it may likely feel that way to you.
Thank you so much, Leroy. Since I wrote about the dizziness, the spells have suddenly increased. My escape from the dizziness used to be while in sleep, or while "half awake". Thats what made my mornings relaxing and stress free. But, now it seems as if they have taken over that also. I seem to not want to talk about my problems to my family. The reason for this may be that I make myself believe that I will trigger the dizziness even more at that moment. I feel helpless and I really need to find an answer. I feel that this dizziness is something that cannot be fixed by a doctor, but that it is self-inflicted and i have brought it on myself, and only I can get rid of it. I have tried to do so but it is still here, and I don't feel as strong as I used to, to ignore it. I have hoped for a long time that someone out there would understand me, and I would appreciate it if you would reccomend me to do something. Thank you!

Old 02-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJayGee View Post
Thank you so much, Leroy. Since I wrote about the dizziness, the spells have suddenly increased. My escape from the dizziness used to be while in sleep, or while "half awake". Thats what made my mornings relaxing and stress free. But, now it seems as if they have taken over that also. I seem to not want to talk about my problems to my family. The reason for this may be that I make myself believe that I will trigger the dizziness even more at that moment. I feel helpless and I really need to find an answer. I feel that this dizziness is something that cannot be fixed by a doctor, but that it is self-inflicted and i have brought it on myself, and only I can get rid of it. I have tried to do so but it is still here, and I don't feel as strong as I used to, to ignore it. I have hoped for a long time that someone out there would understand me, and I would appreciate it if you would reccomend me to do something. Thank you!
Once again, I suspect MAV. Some MAV patients achieve relief from retreating to a quiet, dark place.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
(female)

Kmarr916 HB User

Hi Cory,

I saw that you posted this last year so you may have already recieved help. but if not, heres my opinion.....

Feelings of "rocking and swaying" and dizzy spells are usually signs of vertigo but there are also less common conditions. If you have already had brain scans and tests for vertigo...then the next thing you could address with doctors is the possibility of Disembarkment Syndrome (Mal de Debarquement Syndrome). This is a condition in which there is an abnormality with the gravity receptors in the inner ear. It presents with symptoms similar to Vertigo and is less common so doctors sometimes miss it.

Hope this helps!!! Best of luck!

Closed Thread