It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Resistant BPPV: I cannot fix it!

I have had BPPV for 9 months without achieving relief. My ENT diagnosed me and sent me to a PT who told me to do Epley Maneuvers. I was only able to attend one session before my health insurance expired... The first Epley Maneuver did relieve the extreme vertigo and nausea, but I still have moderate-severe symptoms everyday. I have attempted the Epley maneuver several hundred times on both ears, without relief. Subsequently, I have attempted the PRM's for the lateral and anterior canals.

I think the remaining canaliths are in the left ear because I have left eye nystagmus with my left-ear down in the Dix Hallpike test. I also notice left-eye nystagmus whenever I move my head while standing or sitting. The only thing I can figure is that I have cupulotiasis....

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Last edited by bindar; 02-24-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
(male)

warpony2310 HB Userwarpony2310 HB Userwarpony2310 HB Userwarpony2310 HB User
Re: Resistant BPPV: I cannot fix it!

1.I have done the eply myself but don't advise it.

2.But if you have to ,do one ear at a time , do two cycles on the ear wait a week and then go back and do the same ear or hallpike test ,if you have nystagmus still you did not clear the ear and you are doing something wrong.

3.This has happened to my several doctors did the epley but did not clear my ears but 12 years later my new doctor cleared both ears with his epley.

good luck Joe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
(female)

lazza123 HB User

Hi
I have suffered from vertigo for 20 years and bppv for about 12 months and I have just seen an ENT and I don't know a lot about it, can you tell me what eply is please.

thanks Lazza

Old 02-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
(male)

Lazza the eply is the best for bppv,ask your ENT to do it to you if you have bppv.If you look at the post above this is what was done to me,first the doctor did one ear the first week,check it with a hallpike test and then did the second ear after seeing the first ear was clear.

NOTE: If you still have nystagmus (jerking in eyes) while doing the epley in the first ear or second ear ,your doctor is not clearing the ear or moving all the particles out of the area.

PS:They or my doctor also used a vibrating device behind my ear while doing the epley to make sure the particles move out of the area they do not belong.

This (UCSD) LA JOLLA san diego My doctor is like the top or number three doctor in the U.S. in this area . good luck lazza......

Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

I think the vibration would help clear my remaining BPPV symptoms. I will hopefully get insurance in a few weeks, and I will be headed to an Otologist as soon as possible. The ENT and PT that I saw were not able to help, so I need to take this to the next step, thus why I want to see an Otologist.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
(female)

MariaPatricia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpony2310 View Post
Lazza the eply is the best for bppv,ask your ENT to do it to you if you have bppv.If you look at the post above this is what was done to me,first the doctor did one ear the first week,check it with a hallpike test and then did the second ear after seeing the first ear was clear.

NOTE: If you still have nystagmus (jerking in eyes) while doing the epley in the first ear or second ear ,your doctor is not clearing the ear or moving all the particles out of the area.

PS:They or my doctor also used a vibrating device behind my ear while doing the epley to make sure the particles move out of the area they do not belong.

This (UCSD) LA JOLLA san diego My doctor is like the top or number three doctor in the U.S. in this area . good luck lazza......
I live in the Los Angeles area (San Fernando Valley).

Have you heard of Dr. Robert Baloh of UCLA? He is an ENT. Can he do this procedure? Per my ENG results, my dizziness involves both ears.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
(male)

Maria if you Bppv (the vertigo we speak of) yes I am sure your doctor knows all about this,UCLA has the top doctors in this area , good luck........

The Following User Says Thank You to warpony2310 For This Useful Post:
MariaPatricia (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
(female)

MariaPatricia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpony2310 View Post
Maria if you Bppv (the vertigo we speak of) yes I am sure your doctor knows all about this,UCLA has the top doctors in this area , good luck........
A neurologist (I will not mention) did recommend some positional exercises he developed for BPPV, and I tried them for two weeks but got very dizzy when standing up and twirling around as directed. I had to discontinue those exercises.

However, this doctor is very arrogant, so I want to see Dr. Baloh instead.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
(male)

maria don't mess around with this stuff ,if it is bppv get the epley manuever done and as you read in my above post , do one ear at a time. Go back the next week and have him do a hallpike (where he throws you back ) to see if your eyes will still jerk around , if they do the ear is not clear of particles . Don't go to the next ear, do the ear again . Thats why its important to get the right doctor to do the epley right!

IF your doctor has any questions ERICK VIIRRE UCSD la jolla is mine . I had two or three docs try and fail over the years DOCTOR Viirre cleared both ears first try both times ,those are good odds .

Old 02-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
(female)

MariaPatricia HB User

The ones he gave me were for both eyes and did not work. I became very dizzy and nauseated.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-28-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: please do not ask members to post against the rules

Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
(male)

maria be careful if you do them yourself ,do one ear wait five days ,keep head elevated on pillow while sleeping first two days . See your ENT . Make sure you have bppv.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-28-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Old 02-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
(female)

MariaPatricia HB User

The ENG results showed: PERIPHERAL VESTIBULAR DISORDER/VERTIGO

The MRI of the Inner Ear showed: Mild VERTEBROBASILAR ARTERY DILICHOECTASIA adjacent to CN VII and VIII with possible vascular loop syndrome, so I have an expanded and enlarged artery. The doctor recommended surgery.

However, the doctor said to continue doing the exercises for BPPV.

Because of the discrepancies (doctor suggesting that carpel tunnel syndrome is really causing my dizziness when I do not have any pain in my wrists), I am hoping to find a Neurologist/ENT and was given a referral to Dr. Baloh. However, Dr. Robert Baloh does not list ENT as a specialty.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-28-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
(male)

PERIPHERAL VESTIBULAR DISORDER/VERTIGO is what everybody in room has (just about) surgery is extreme,talk to your ENT good luck.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #14
(female)

MariaPatricia HB User

I went to the website at dizziness-and-balance and found the home exercise.

From what I read on various sites, I think you are correct about these home exercises. The neurologist I visited is young and arrogant and thinks that his exercises are great when the Home Epley Maneuver seems more logical and time tested. The illustration given in the PDF document is copyrighted by Chicago Dizziness and Hearing (2007).

I will try it for a week (as recommended in the PDF doc) and then report back.

I will also try to find a decent ENT.

Last edited by MariaPatricia; 02-28-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #15
(female)

Molly1949 HB User

I used to have BPPV. Started in late 2009. 1st experience was terrifying! Felt odd previous evening; went to bed and by 3am I got up and COULD NOT STAND at all; kept falling to the left. Went to emergency. They diagnosed me with BPPV; told me that Ativan helped. I'd been taking Ativan (2mg) for about 3 years at that point so decided that was not going to help. Episodes kept happening more frequently. I decided to just "live with it". Last episode was the night before a flight home from my vacation.

This is going to sound really BIZARRE, but I accidentally saw a movie about a Psychiatrist who said that cleaning out ear wax with Q-tips, etc. hurts inner ear conditions. I thought, why not try it? And I did. I only clean out my ear wax when it is actually is exterior to my ear. It's been over a year now and I have had NO EPISODES at all.

Closed Thread