It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

tjs1205 HB User
Need advice on dizziness

I get these "dizzy" spells off and on. By off and on I mean, I've had them before. I've never seen a doctor about them because they usually go away in a few days. I think it is either from inner ear problems or sinus issues. I want some one else's opinion before I freak out about it. It only happens when I move my head. It's not a dizzy like the room is spinning. When it happens I also have a sound like sand rolling around in my ears. I had a cold last week and still have a little nose congestion from it. I'm hoping some one can calm my fears of something worse like .....who knows. I have GAD so I alway's assume the worst. Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: Need advice on dizziness

First of all, do not be worried because dizziness is likely to affect 70% of people at some point in their life, and most causes are harmless. Dizziness can be caused by vestibular problems, central problems, cardiovascular problems, sinus issues, medication, etc.... It is difficult to give accurate advise without seeing you in person while you are symptomatic, and without a detailed history. I would suggest visiting your doctor during the next dizzy spell. If your doctor is not able to come to a conclusion, ask for a referral to an Ear Nose and Throat doctor.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bindar For This Useful Post:
fblvr (03-04-2011), tjs1205 (02-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
(female)

fblvr HB Userfblvr HB User

Hi, hope you are feeling a bit better. So far, looks like you've gotten good advice. I would see an Ear, Nose, & Throat doctor (ENT) because they should be able to diagnose you. I have gotten Vertigo again for the last 3 weeks after my first bout with it about 12 years ago. Back then, it was way worse and doctor put me on Antivert which made me so tired I could not really function. They also had me cut out all caffeine, added salt, and alcohol which did make a difference (believe it or not). This time I was given Vestibular excercises and started taking over the counter Chlor-Trimeton (an antihistamine) suggested by someone else which has helped me lots.
You should get to the dr. to get checked out -- it's more scary not knowing what's going on. Hang in there! ...R

The Following User Says Thank You to fblvr For This Useful Post:
bindar (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
(female)

rewolf HB User

It sounds like an inner ear imbalance - something I think I also have had for over 6 weeks - Im really fed up now as usually Im very fit and active ( play golf about 5 times a week) mine just arrived one afternoon on golf course, fell over while putting my ball on the tee! Doctors meds have not had any effect at all - all blood tests etc say Im super fit for a 56yr old - but the imbalance makes me feel like ive had a bottle of wine for breakfast - yours deffinately sounds like its your cold has brought this on so dont be worrying too much - Im having an mri scan so hope its not a tumour or something ! Good luck anyway x

Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
(female)

tjs1205 HB User

It could be a lot of things but I know we usually always go to worst case in our minds. I found out that mine was from skipping a dose of a medication I take daily. I hope all goes well with your MRI.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjs1205 For This Useful Post:
rewolf (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs1205 View Post
It could be a lot of things but I know we usually always go to worst case in our minds. I found out that mine was from skipping a dose of a medication I take daily. I hope all goes well with your MRI.
Glad to hear you pinpointed the problem! This is a great example of why there is generally nothing to be worried about. The balance system is made up of many different organ systems, and all are very sensitive.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
(female)

fblvr HB Userfblvr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs1205 View Post
Hi there! Good news for you! Vertigo is not a fun thing but there are worse things, of course. Most of us seem to have bouts with it and then it gets a bit better or it goes away for a while. I've had my latest bout since mid Feb this year but it is much better and lots of the symtoms have decreased. Getting there! Hope everyone else is doing better also! Until next time ...

Old 07-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
(female)

justcurious314 HB User

To TJS1205. and rewolf....I can tell you my experience with vertigo. The first time it came on it scared the hell out of me. I found myself planted face down in the bathroom sink throwing up and it lasted for about two days (the vomitting only part of the first day) I have gotten dizzy after that episode but never with the vomitting again. Finally I went to my doctor. She prescribed Meclizine 12.5 mg. She told me as soon as I feel it coming on take one of the pills. I also wanted to mention something else. I have always suffered with sinus problems, but this dizziness/vertigo was new. The other thing she prescribed for me was one allegra every morning. She told me that Allegra and Zertec have an ingredient in them the same as dramamine that controls dizziness. Also she referred me to a chiropractor...I know I thought the same thing, sounded kind of crazy. Well I went and they give you an excersize to do that balances out your equalibrium. (I did not do that) but instead he used this instrument on the upper part of my nose, which he said people have said worked (sort of like a mini jackhammer...did not hurt). Now I don't know which one it was, the Allegra every morning, or the mini jackhammer that I only did once (you'd have to find out the correct name for that instrument) but I will tell you it's been a year now that I have not had any more vertigo. I took the Meclizine once when I thought it may be coming on (I may have panicked) and it went away. I thought it was stress as well but I am convinced that it was my sinus/inner ear problems as well. I am 52 female and very healthy.

Good luck...I know what you are going through.

Closed Thread