HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Dizziness / Vertigo (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dizziness-vertigo/)
-   -   Dizzy and going to have tests done soon (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/dizziness-vertigo/838578-dizzy-going-have-tests-done-soon.html)

oceanwatcher28 03-04-2011 08:53 PM

Dizzy and going to have tests done soon

Last year, I fell and hit the back of my head and was knocked unconscious for a few minutes. I started getting dizzy after standing a few minutes. Now, I get dizzy every time I stand for more than 2 to 10 minutes. When I sit down, it takes a few minutes for the dizzy feeling to go away. The weird feeling starts in my neck, back of my head, ears then feel full of something, then I start getting dizzy. Any ideas?

bindar 03-05-2011 09:31 PM

Re: Dizzy and going to have tests done soon

It is very difficult to say, given the fact that dizziness can be caused by many different systems in the body. I would speak to a doctor as soon as possible about this condition.

When standing, do you feel like you are going to pass out or faint? Or do you feel more of a dizziness and disorientation? (similar to the feeling after spinning in circles)

oceanwatcher28 03-06-2011 10:49 AM

I have been talking to my dr. He thinks it may be my blood pressure. I think it may be because of mold ( I am highly allergic) in my crawl space and who knows where else in my house. Or, several other things ( asthma or I did damage when I fell and hit my head).
I have been trying to rule out different things.

oceanwatcher28 03-06-2011 10:53 AM

I feel like I am off balance and if I continue to stand, then I start blacking out. I usually, sit down before it gets too bad. I have fallen 4 times this last year, it was like someone took my legs out from under me. Very strange. Thank you for listening.

oceanwatcher28 03-06-2011 11:06 AM

Have you had the videonystamography done? I am scheduled to go to a Center for Equilibrium Disorders and going to have a long list of procederes done. The only part that scares me is the "pitch black" part. I have a horrible phobia of the dark. I know during the tests you are to remain calm and keep your eyes open. I know, I won't be able to do this for more than 5 minutes, without freaking. I have active asthma and stress really sets it off. So, I am sure that they wouldn't appreciate me crying or needing to use my inhaler.

bindar 03-06-2011 11:56 PM

Your symptoms definitely sound more like a cardiovascular issue, not a vestibular (inner ear) issue. I have not had the VNG test before. I assume that your VNG test will be inconclusive, given the fact that almost certainly don't have a vestibular problem.

Make sure you tell the doctor that you have apprehension about the "pitch black" portion of the test. This should help relieve some of your stress, and the doctor shouldn't be surprised as this fear is extremely common in dizzy people!

Good luck