It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
(male)

genesis667 HB User
Labyrinthitis or Cervical vertigo?

Can anyone tell me what the difference in symptoms is between Labyrintitis and Cervical vertigo? From wha I've read the symptoms are closely related, dizziness and imbalance....Are there any symptoms you would have with one of the two and not the other?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: Labyrinthitis or Cervical vertigo?

Labyrinthitis typically starts with an immediate attack of violent vertigo. With labyrinthitis, ear pressure, tinnitus, and partial temporary hearing loss are also symptoms. However with Vestibular Neuritis (same thing, but not involving inflamation of the cochlea), vertigo is the only symptom. In cervical vertigo, the onset of symptoms may or may not resemble this same pattern, so it may be a tough judgement call.

An ENG/VNG test can confirm the diagnosis of Labyrinthitis or Vestibular Neuritis. An xray should be able to help spot any cervical causes of vertigo.

Last edited by bindar; 03-27-2011 at 11:17 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bindar For This Useful Post:
fblvr (04-03-2011), genesis667 (03-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
(male)

genesis667 HB User

Thanks for the reply....Do you know how long it usually takes
Before your balance returns to normal? I am now past the three
Month mark and still have problems with my balance...One day it
Will be okay and the next it feels like my legs are two different lengths
and my balance is terrible....

Old 03-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

Recovery from Labyrinthitis/VN is different for everyone. However, it is normal to feel normal one day, then feel horrible the next. As time goes on, patients typically have more good days between the symptomatic days. Eventually, the symptomatic days will subside.

It sounds like you are making progress, some vestibular rehabilitation exercises would be beneficial to speed up the process. I would do a google search for some VRT exercises, they will involve you moving your head or eyes while focusing on a fixed target.

In the meantime if you suspect cervical vertigo, talk to your doctor about the issue and get an xray..

Last edited by bindar; 03-28-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
(male)

genesis667 HB User

I spoke with the ENT today and he said at this point he wants to do additional testing....He mentioned a VNG, a audiogram and one other test I can't remember at the moment...At any rate he said they will confirm or disprove his diagnosis of Labyrinthitis and if he was wrong, I will be refered to a Neurologist...On my first appointment 3 months ago he suspected MS because of my family history so he sent me for an MRI...The MRI came out normal so he said I didn't have MS...Now today he tells me it's possible I
could still have MS.....

Closed Thread