It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

JOG1151 HB User
I feel like I am walking on a boat in choppy water - will this ever go away?

I am over 2 months now,

This started on 1/17/71 when I sat up in bed and the room started spinning.

I don't have that dizziness anymore. Now it feels like I am walking on a boat in very choppy water...I can't seem to get my balance. Bending over, or a lot of movement seems to trigger it. I have felt like this every day for over 2 months now.

Is this Labyrinthitis? Or is this BPV? (or are they one and the same)

Do I go to a Neuro or ENT for treatment?

Will this ever go away???

Old 04-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: I feel like I am walking on a boat in choppy water - will this ever go away?

It could definitely be either BPPV or Labyrinthitis. An experienced ENT will be able to make a diagnosis based on a careful examination of the history of your symptoms.

Both conditions are treatable, and the vast majority of patients achieve complete recovery within a few weeks to months of treatment.

Last edited by bindar; 04-09-2011 at 10:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
(male)

JimB HB User
Re: I feel like I am walking on a boat in choppy water - will this ever go away?

I have had both symptoms for about a year. There's a ton of info on BPPV on various sites. It is a treatable condition. My BPPV only happens once in a while and doesn't bother me most of the time. However, the balance symptom you mention is chronic and is with me 24/7. It's likely an inner ear problem, and I'm not confident there's a treatment for it.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
I have had both symptoms for about a year. There's a ton of info on BPPV on various sites. It is a treatable condition. My BPPV only happens once in a while and doesn't bother me most of the time. However, the balance symptom you mention is chronic and is with me 24/7. It's likely an inner ear problem, and I'm not confident there's a treatment for it.
Labyrinthitis causes damage to the balance nerve, and there is no treatment to heal the damage. However, the beauty of the brain is that it is extremely adaptable. Patients can recovery from damage to the vestibular system because the brain can compensate for this damage and learn to ignore it. However, it takes time to train the brain. Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy will greatly speed up this process. Before starting VRT, make sure that there are no other conditions causing your symptoms, as those conditions would likely have a different type of treatment.

Last edited by bindar; 04-10-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
(male)

JimB HB User

Very interesting. In Googling labyrinthitis, I noticed the most prominent symptom is severe vertigo, which I don't experience except during my bouts with BPPV. This vertigo strikes suddenly but commonly lasts only a few minutes and then goes away completely. The BPPV doesn't bother me because it only occurrs a few times per year when I'm getting out of bed. I understand what it is, and I'm not concerned.

The balance symptom, however, is more bothersome. It feels like I've had a few drinks, and I'm not able to precisely keep my equilibrium. It's not life-altering but it bothers me, especially when I'm engaged in activities where good balance is required.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Very interesting. In Googling labyrinthitis, I noticed the most prominent symptom is severe vertigo, which I don't experience except during my bouts with BPPV. This vertigo strikes suddenly but commonly lasts only a few minutes and then goes away completely. The BPPV doesn't bother me because it only occurrs a few times per year when I'm getting out of bed. I understand what it is, and I'm not concerned.

The balance symptom, however, is more bothersome. It feels like I've had a few drinks, and I'm not able to precisely keep my equilibrium. It's not life-altering but it bothers me, especially when I'm engaged in activities where good balance is required.
It is possible that there is an underlying central or vestibular problem that is causing your imbalance. It is also possible that stubborn canalith particles are still in the balance canal from your BPPV episodes.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
(male)

JimB HB User

Good points. I didn't consider 'residual' BPPV. It may be time for the Epley maneuver. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Good points. I didn't consider 'residual' BPPV. It may be time for the Epley maneuver. Thanks.
If the Epley maneuver doesnt work, try the Semond maneuver, and then Brandt Daroff exercises. This should help rule out the likelihood of residual BPPV.

Good luck Jim.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
(male)

JimB HB User

Will do. Thanks.

Closed Thread