It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
(female)

comel HB User
Not sure where to put this

Hi new here, I was just diagnosed with Vestibular Migraines today but I still wonder if that is what they are.
I get these weird feelings, first I feel flushed, then nausea, followed by weakness in my legs, off balance, shaky, dizzy, pressure in my ears and sinuses as well as get the chills. I had several tests done and the ENG showed I don't track well, that instead of smoothly tracking items I jump track them.
Had an MRI done and it showed 3 very small white spots on my brain.
The doctor said they are from the migraines and started me on Pamelor and I take phenagren for the nausea as needed. I have had really bad episodes since February, but looking back have had mild ones for some time. I have not been able to drive as driving brings on an episode. I have major anxiety about leaving the house because I worry the next one will be the one that makes me pass out or puke in public. I miss out on so much because of this.

Do those of you who have VM agree with his diagnosis?
Eta: a few other things that may be helpful-
I have life threatening food allergies and have a very limited diet. I am vitamin D deficient and take supplements for that too. I have IBS and GERD or so they say...not sure about the IBS but I do get heartburn alot, so I agree with the GERD. I had been previously diagnosed with Graves Disease, but the diagnosis has been reversed because my thyroid levels all returned to normal. I do have an enlarged thyroid 8 cms on the right and 9cms on the left, but a CT scan showed it to not be affecting any organs. I am supposed to have a biopsy to rule out Thyroid lymphoma in the near future.

I am re-posting since I was not getting a response in the inner ear forum.

Last edited by comel; 05-04-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Not sure where to put this

I get migraines, although I was not diagnosed with vestibular migraines. What caught my attention is that your symptoms are the same as mine, with the exception of the feeling in your legs. I saw a neurologist first, who just gave me medication and recommended I get an MRI to rule out anything serious, but didn't seem to want to help me get to the root cause. I came across a headache and migraine institute and started going there. They helped me learn that I have some problems related to my cervical spine. In my neck, they suspected some bulging discs and just overload and inflammation in general. My neck hardly felt bad, but issues in the cervical spine can lead to migraines and other headaches, TMJ disorder-like symptoms, ear ringing and fullness, vertigo, sinus pressure, and possibly numbness/tingling in the limbs.

After I started treatment for this, I realized that my sinus pressure was going away! I had thought it was chronic allergies this whole time and didn't realize a spine issue could cause it. I still have the ear ringing and fullness, but my doctor said that is typically what takes the longest to go away. I'm almost done with my treatment and my migraines are not hitting me as often (now it's just those caused by hormone fluctuations, which my doctor said may get better, but may still require medication) and I don't get daily headaches anymore. It's been life-changing just over the past 6 weeks! I do take prescriptions for my migraines and hope to get off the one I take twice a day, especially since I don't think it made a difference. With the other, I have a hard time with it because like you, I vomit a lot during a migraine, and I can't keep pills down until my stomach settles.

It might not be this at all.... but I just wanted to share my experience just in case you think it might be a possibility. I had never heard of anyone with this going on and always assumed messed up discs in the neck would require surgery (which has a lower success rate over the long run than physical therapy and gradually making changes) or would just bother your neck, not cause all the head symptoms.

Overall though, other than finding the spots on the MRI, did your doctor find anything that might have contributed to this or anything you can do (other than just medication) to help? I had to give up some things I enjoy for about a 6 months, like running, but I also felt like you... anxious and worried that a migraine would hit me, not enjoying my hobbies, etc, so it is worth it! Good luck to you and I really hope things get better!

The Following User Says Thank You to tUrRrRa For This Useful Post:
comel (05-12-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
(female)

comel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
I get migraines, although I was not diagnosed with vestibular migraines. What caught my attention is that your symptoms are the same as mine, with the exception of the feeling in your legs. I saw a neurologist first, who just gave me medication and recommended I get an MRI to rule out anything serious, but didn't seem to want to help me get to the root cause. I came across a headache and migraine institute and started going there. They helped me learn that I have some problems related to my cervical spine. In my neck, they suspected some bulging discs and just overload and inflammation in general. My neck hardly felt bad, but issues in the cervical spine can lead to migraines and other headaches, TMJ disorder-like symptoms, ear ringing and fullness, vertigo, sinus pressure, and possibly numbness/tingling in the limbs.

After I started treatment for this, I realized that my sinus pressure was going away! I had thought it was chronic allergies this whole time and didn't realize a spine issue could cause it. I still have the ear ringing and fullness, but my doctor said that is typically what takes the longest to go away. I'm almost done with my treatment and my migraines are not hitting me as often (now it's just those caused by hormone fluctuations, which my doctor said may get better, but may still require medication) and I don't get daily headaches anymore. It's been life-changing just over the past 6 weeks! I do take prescriptions for my migraines and hope to get off the one I take twice a day, especially since I don't think it made a difference. With the other, I have a hard time with it because like you, I vomit a lot during a migraine, and I can't keep pills down until my stomach settles.

It might not be this at all.... but I just wanted to share my experience just in case you think it might be a possibility. I had never heard of anyone with this going on and always assumed messed up discs in the neck would require surgery (which has a lower success rate over the long run than physical therapy and gradually making changes) or would just bother your neck, not cause all the head symptoms.

Overall though, other than finding the spots on the MRI, did your doctor find anything that might have contributed to this or anything you can do (other than just medication) to help? I had to give up some things I enjoy for about a 6 months, like running, but I also felt like you... anxious and worried that a migraine would hit me, not enjoying my hobbies, etc, so it is worth it! Good luck to you and I really hope things get better!
Thank you! I will look into this. I have a follow up on the 14th of June and will mention this to him. It gives me hope that I will get better. I am not going to give up and I think my doctor will push forward too.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I am glad you are keeping a positive attitude! Definitely stay hopeful and positive and it will help you get through this. It also helped me to keep an open mind about any possibilities and things that might help. I hope you find relief very soon! Best of luck!

Closed Thread