It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
(female)

bew5045 HB User
Unhappy Dizzy

Hey everyone. I've come to this site because my doctors can't figure out what is wrong. I've been dizzy since May 27th, it just suddenly came on. It's hard to distinguish if it is vertigo because i can't see things spinning i just feel off and unbalanced. I do not have symptoms of vomiting or nausea. I went to the er, he originally thought it was due to my inner ear and prescribed me antivert. It does nothing but make me sleep forever and wake up feeling worse. My family doctor prescribed me valium, which also didn't help. I went to the ENT and he ruled out inner ear/sinuses. I take b12 vitamins and my blood work came out normal so it's nothing like that. And now these past few days I've been having horrible headaches, only on one side at a time, in the temple/upper side of my head. The next step is to visit the neurologist. I am scared but I just want to know what is wrong, it's very debilitating. If ANYONE has any insight they would like to share with me I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you-Bethany

The following user gives a hug of support to bew5045:
wolfcafe (08-08-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 03:02 AM   #2
(female)

nightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB User
Re: Dizzy

u may be low in vit d.when I was a kid, I got this terrible vertigo for a couple of days. couldnt even walk to the toilet without bouncing wall 2 wall down the hall way.... my mum told me to come help her weed the garden, but I couldnt sit up even so I layed on the lawn, and fell asleep. she thought it best to leave me there for a while and when I woke up it was better. sunlight has vit d in it, but u may be quite low, try high doses of a supplement. low vit d also means your veins dont constrict and dialate properly which can affect you blood pressure, may be your headache? goodluck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

It sounds like a vestibular migraine (also called MAV), here is my reasoning:

- Inner ear problems have been ruled out. Since there is no test to diagnose vestibular migraine, the diagnosis is based on the exclusion of other illnesses.

- The presence of headaches. The fact that you have one-sided headaches is SIGNIFICANT because this is characteristic of migraine headaches. Some patients have headaches with vertigo, and some dont. But since you have headaches, this should make the diagnosis easier.

- Your symptoms match vestibular migraine.

Your Neurologist will most likely suggest VM. Most patients are able to manage this disorder with good results.

While you are waiting for a diagnosis, I would avoid migraine trigger foods. Some patients (20-40%) can relieve symptoms by diet modifications alone.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
(female)

bew5045 HB User

Thanks guys. I'll take your suggestions I really appreciate the reply. My doctor ordered me some more blood work tests and an MRI. I told him about the headache near my temple and he said it may be due to inflammation of the artery in there. I guess only time will tell from here. Thanks again!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
(female)

vtgal244 HB User

Just curious-how did they rule out inner ear problems? Did you have any tests like an ENG? I say this because I have the same feelings, dizziness, no nauseousness, and saw an ENT that had me get an ENG, and it showed that I had an inner ear problem.

Did they have you get a Head MRI with contrast-that can also show things and rule things out.

hope you feel better soon.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:51 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

I forgot to mention, I have the exact same symptoms as you. No inner ear problems, and a normal MRI. I have Vestibular migraine. Make sure you discuss it with your Neurologist, I am nearly 100% positive that is the cause of your problem.

Last edited by bindar; 06-11-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:04 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

Beth, get to the neurologist please.......I have this problem and it has been going on for almost 9 years. Ativan does help me a LOT. The thing is for me, the room flips. It is like the couch goes up around to the ceiling and down the other side. I remember when it first happened..and OMG was I scared. My MRI was good, and they don't really know for sure what is going on. They did consider inner ear....but again, still not sure. SO the only medication I take is ativan and it has helped me a LOT. And NO these are not anxiety attacks, that has been ruled out due to all of the questions and tests that they did.

Take a deep breath and follow through with your doctor. I have Lupus so they are not sure if something with the nerves due to lupus are being bothered. PLEASE let us know how you make out. The MRI is a really GOOD thing to have. They did that first with me, before anything else.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
(female)

bew5045 HB User

Hey everyone. My dizziness has not gone away. My mri was normal, and the neurologist couldn't find anything wrong. He ordered more bloodwork. I'm going to the chiropractor next week. I'm really frustrated and worried they cant find out whats wrong. I'm blacking out for 3 seconds when I stand up. I know somethings wrong I just dont feel right. Thanks for all your time and support.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
(female)

bew5045 HB User

After going to all the doctors and getting tests back that were all negative, I have found no answer to why I was dizzy for almost 2 months. But fortunately it has simmered down an incredible amount. I still have days that I am dizzy, but it isn't constant like it was. I am still stumped, but thanks for all of your concern!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
(female)

vtgal244 HB User

Did you find that going to the chiropractor helped your dizzines? Glad that it has gotten incredibly better-that's great!

Closed Thread