It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
(female)

Starmom41 HB User
dizziness: sudden & extreme

Sunday a.m. (3 days ago) I tried to wake up & get up, & couldn't. it was like being on one of those fast swirling amusement park rides. after it didn't pass in a couple of hrs I called ambulance & went to ER. upon telling them I'd had an ongoing ear infection they irrigated my ears, found no current infection, & sent me home.

My only previous experiences with dizziness:
twice hormonal (puberty & first pregnancy);
a draining tooth;
prior to seeing dr. about the ear infection (they'd given me meclazine for the dizziness but not antibiotics- around 2005, & after using the meclazine as directed I had no further dizziness since 2006 although my hearing was prettymuch shot).

General health has always been good. was dx hypoglycemic around 30 yrs ago, but proper diet has kept it under control. have had occasional difficulties with dehydration in recent years (a common thing in this locale).

Not sure if it could be connected or not, but the last few weeks have been consistent work-overload & work-related stress-- totally messed up my normal sleeping schedule, got fired due to someone else's incompetence, & pay not coming when expected meant nearly a week living on coffee, Hawaiian Punch, & canned cake frosting = not good for being prone to dehydration & blood sugar issue.

Point: when I went to sleep Saturday p.m. I was feeling fine other than being tired & hungry; so it's the suddenness of the dizziness on Sunday a.m. that I'm worried about-- while I've been able to be up & around & focusing during the last couple of days, I'm nowhere near o.k. An additional factor is the dizziness is worse when lying down than when standing or sitting.
My vitals were all normal both in ambulance & at hospital.
Additional note: I've noticed my pupils were constricted when this was happening.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Starmom41; 06-22-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: additional info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: dizziness: sudden & extreme

Do you have a personal or family history of headaches?

Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
(female)

Starmom41 HB User

I had migraines as a kid, but after getting hypoglycemia dx & usually eating regularly I've had nearly none throughout the years. during seasonal changes (temps getting hot & temps getting cold) I experience mild headaches for a day or two.

My mother & brother had migraines throughout their lives, but I don't think they were ever checked for a cause.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

In your original post, you mentioned a few things that give a fair suspicion of migraine associated vertigo. Migranous vertigo often occurs independent of headaches, but if you have a personal or family history of migraine headache, that greatly raises the probability. Here are the reasons for my suspicion.

1) In female migraine sufferers, pregnancy often triggers migraine attacks because of the changing hormone levels.

2) Your lifestyle has many migraine triggers including, hypoglycemia, dehydration, stress, sleep loss and excessive caffeine intake.

Give the somewhat positional nature of your symptoms, it is also possible that you have a vestibular problem like BPPV, your doctor should be able to distinguish the difference. But dont be afraid to ask for a referral to an ENT or Neurologist if he is not familiar with these conditions.

Last edited by bindar; 06-22-2011 at 01:17 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to bindar For This Useful Post:
Starmom41 (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
(female)

Starmom41 HB User

gotta admit, I'd never heard of "migranous vertigo;"
while the pregnancy I referred to was decades ago, and I don't consume a lot of caffeine, your post is greatly helpful and informative... thank you!!! I'm hoping some lifestyle changes can be a good start.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Approximately 35% of migraine suffers report dizziness and/or vertigo. Some doctors are not aware of this condition, but it is fairly common.

Some important lifestyle changes would be managing hypoglycemia and hydration avoiding stress, and staying with a constant sleep pattern.

Some common diet triggers are caffeine, alcohol, aged cheeses, nuts, hot dogs (nitrates), onions, olives (sulfates), and products that contain monosodium glutamate. It is likely that not all these are triggers for you, but it is important to test.

Between 20%-40% of patients achieve relief of symptoms from diet and lifestyle changes alone.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmom41 View Post
gotta admit, I'd never heard of "migranous vertigo;"
while the pregnancy I referred to was decades ago, and I don't consume a lot of caffeine, your post is greatly helpful and informative... thank you!!! I'm hoping some lifestyle changes can be a good start.
There is lot of information on this condition on the internet, it is called either vestibular migraine OR migraine associated vertigo.

Of course your pregnancy several decades ago is not the cause of your current symptoms, but it establishes a history of dizziness during a time in life where migraine symptoms are most likely to surface.

If diet and lifestyle modifications do not provide sufficient relief, prophylactic medication is very effective for 80% of patients.

Good luck.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #8
(female)

Starmom41 HB User

I don't mean to be hoggy with board space & your time, but something occurred to me:

a few years ago I had a work project on the topic of TMJD, and although I don't recall much about it I was wondering if possibly the aggravations connected to recent tooth loss may have caused this?
(I had a minor accident awhile back that loosened 3 teeth, the last one fell out not long ago, & eating is kinda difficult because the teeth were on the front-side).
When I looked it up, it did say positional vertigo is a symptom, plus I have a couple of the others- dull face pain & a grinding sound when opening mouth).

I really don't need any more dr bills, so I'm hoping you might have an opinion???

thanks!!

Closed Thread