It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 05:25 AM   #1
(female)

SDCowgirl HB User
Dizziness and Allergies?

Can allergies cause a motion sickness type dizziness? I've had Dr's tell me no but I've read online that it can (and I believe people who suffer from it over Drs). EVERY fall since 2007 I have a feeling of motion sickness every day from noon on. It usually goes away towards evening. It also goes away every spring! Does that make sense? I do have mild allergies and they ARE usually worse in the fall. I've seen a family practitioner, physical therapist, neurologist, 2 ENTs and an allergy Dr. No one can tell me what it is and what to do about it. It's very dibilitating at times and I don't know who else to try. Anyone else ever experience this?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Dizziness and Allergies?

If it's affecting your sinuses a lot, or fluid is building up in your ears, yes, it's possible.

I would consider allergy skin testing and shots. I've been on shots for just over a year, and my symptoms this year are less than half as bad as last year. It's possible that next year I will see even more improvement.

Have you tried a non-drowsy antihistamine such as Zyrtec or Allegra? It might take several days to work if you are already having symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

SDCowgirl HB User

My GP and both ENTs I've seen say it's nothing to do with my ears but they HAVE to be missing something. I've always got sinus problems. I've tried Benadryl in the past but with no success. I'm also limited as to which antihistimines I can use because I have RLS (restless legs syndrome) which limits me as to which drugs I can tolerate. The fact that this comes on in the fall (extra early this year) and goes away in the spring tells me it HAS to be allergies. Also, the first time it happened, I'd had an eye surgery go terrible wrong and I lost the sight in my right eye. I think I cried for 3 months going through the grieving process and maybe messed up my sinuses? I'm so frustrated with Drs.......
Thanks for your reply!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Well, it could be weather related and NOT allergies. But try to get allergy testing for the sinus problems. Then at least you will know what you are allergic to.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
(female)

SDCowgirl HB User

Thanks. I did have minimal testing last winter (blood test) but it showed my allergies as having lower numbers (2-3's) and mostly from animals (I live on a ranch, I'm around animals year round and have house pets, not just wintertime!). This was also by the allergy Dr who said allergies can't make you dizzy........

Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

For airborne allergies, skin scratch testing is the most accurate method.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCowgirl View Post
Can allergies cause a motion sickness type dizziness? I've had Dr's tell me no but I've read online that it can (and I believe people who suffer from it over Drs). EVERY fall since 2007 I have a feeling of motion sickness every day from noon on. It usually goes away towards evening. It also goes away every spring! Does that make sense? I do have mild allergies and they ARE usually worse in the fall. I've seen a family practitioner, physical therapist, neurologist, 2 ENTs and an allergy Dr. No one can tell me what it is and what to do about it. It's very dibilitating at times and I don't know who else to try. Anyone else ever experience this?
I do have dizziness too lately. It was gone too in the summer and came back in late summer. I thought perhaps it is head flu. The sinus pills helps. Also try flonase which is steroid nasal inhalent. My GP told me to take tylenol. But the sinus pills work better. At times I take Benadryl at night (it makes one sleepy so you can only take it at night.)
It seems to be like head cold and it is in the head making you dizzy.
If I am in a stuffy area, I am more dizzy. If I get more oxygen, I feel better. Try to get more air (not the flower or weeds...)

Take care,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 09-27-2011 at 06:06 AM.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
(female)

SDCowgirl HB User

Thanks Nina,
I've been taking Claritin lately but last fall it really didn't help. It always hits me about noon after I eat so last year I experimented by not eating lunch until much later in the day. Maybe it was just a coincidence but it pretty much stopped the dizziness. This fall I haven't had as much luck with that (maybe a little?). Maybe I'm just grasping at straws but getting so tired of it ruining my day and not having Dr's be of any help!
Brenda

Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
(female)

Huskers01 HB User

Hi there! I just wrote you a long three paragraph reply only for this website to log me off bc of time. Shoot! I'll make this very short. I feel just like you only I don't suffer from allergies and I just returned from my first cruise October 21 and I haven't felt the same. I did feel worse the first week after but still feel dizzy. No rocking or swaying just dizziness with no vision problems or upset stomach. No congestion or itchy eyes. I do know allergies can strike at any moment.
How are you feeling now? A year since you have posted. Have you found any solid answers?? I've tried motion sickness pills and physical therapy. My first Dr visit is this Wednesday.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
(female)

SDCowgirl HB User

Hi! Thanks for answering my post, even tho it has been a year.... I still have the dizziness problems. I've seen family practitioners, ENTs,neurologists, had an MRI. Nobody could figure it out. Since then I've had a few more quirky things show up... lack of coordination and balance, my toes curl on my left foot when I do anything strenuous with my back (even walking very far will set it off). Seems they ruled everything out! So this past week I saw an Internal Medicine Dr and she's suspicious that I have MS (even though I was recently tested for it and it came back negative). She claims spinal taps are only 85% accurate so she's looking into it again. Sucks, but I do need an answer, this is taking over my life.
I had a friend who also came home from a cruise very dizzy. They told her it was an eye-brain related condition (used to be called 'Sailor's Legs' but I don't know the medical term). I do think she's much better now. Sorry your long post didn't go thru. Write me back if you like.
Brenda

Old 12-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
(female)

Huskers01 HB User

Hi Brenda

To give you a quick update, but first I'm very sorry to hear you are still suffering from your dizziness. My thoughts and prayers are with you. My first message that didnt go through, i sympathized for you bc of your eye surgery mishap.Im so sorry to hear that. I cant imagine the emotional pain you suffered. The best thing for you is to stay positive and strong through this. Also, try to live a healthy lifestyle as possible!
The ENT Dr I saw today said I'm suffering from Persistent Mal De Debarquement Syndrome. It's brain related an not inner ear issues. It goes away anywhere between 4-6 months. I'm at two months now. There is no medication to cure,only time and a healthy lifestyle.
All the best to you...I wish you well!!
Mitzi

Closed Thread