It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
(female)

weaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB User
Inn ear rocks!

I just want to let people know something I found out at the optometrist. I described to her about my symptoms; my eyes would dilate and shrink rapidly and I would feel off balance even when lying down. She told me about the inner ear rocks. Wow I have never thought of something like that. (The condition, known as benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, or BPPV, is usually treated with a series of simple head movements aimed at putting dislodged ear rocks back where they came from so they can be cleared away by the immune system. BPPV can be triggered by a head injury or a virus. The condition is more common in older adults. Within the inner ear, there's a little pouch called the utricle that contains about 1,000 little pebbles made of calcium carbonate.The tiny rocks serve an important purpose: They stimulate nerve cells when we move our heads — and send signals to our brain that guide our sense of up and down. When the rocks fall into one of the inner ear canals, the brain gets confused. As the rocks roll around in the canal, the brain senses that the head is moving a lot more than it actually is. The result: vertigo. Just wanted you all to know, Just in case you have not heard about this. I had MRIs and everything and my doctor couldn’t figure it out, but my optometrist did. If you look it up it also tells you how to move the rocks out of the canal.

Hysterectomy
Appendectomy
Cholecystectomy
Sinus surgery
Tonsillectomy

The Following User Says Thank You to weaver02 For This Useful Post:
Cardinal Fan (10-11-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: Inn ear rocks!

BPPV is one of the leading causes of vertigo. The condition can be very uncomfortable, but it is very easy to fix. I am impressed that your optometrist knows about it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
(female)

weaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB Userweaver02 HB User
Re: Inn ear rocks!

I have never read about it before. I most have over looked it before or something. My doctor couldn't figure it out, but my optometrist did. My doctor is a very great doctor. She always takes her time to listen to me and ask if I have anything else I would want to talk about. She always asks about my husbands problems too. She's the best, so I can over look this simple mistake.

Hysterectomy
Appendectomy
Cholecystectomy
Sinus surgery
Tonsillectomy

Closed Thread