It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
(female)

marrie12 HB Usermarrie12 HB User
vertigo upon laying down or bending or looking down or looking up

Help please I've been dealing with vertigo off and on for awhile but now it's gotten much worse. It was that I could lay down when it was coming on but for the past 2 days and nights I can't lay down even to sleep because it starts up immediatley. At times I can't even sit cause it feels like its going to start spinning. I'm having issues trying to watch tv or even moving around. If I look down or up it starts spinning. If I slightly bend over the world starts moving. I've never experienced it like this before. I'm pretty scared about it, does anyone have any ideas on what to do? Thank you.
Marrie12

The following user gives a hug of support to marrie12:
bubby344 (12-04-2011)
Old 11-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: vertigo upon laying down or bending or looking down or looking up

It sounds like your vertigo is dependent on head position, so I would talk to a doctor about BPPV. A doctor can do a simple test for BPPV while watching your eye movements during the Hallpike-Dix maneuver.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
(female)

Thank you very much. I went to the ENT yesterday and that is what she thought I had. She said to come back in Jan for a balance test. She was going to do the Eply manuever on me but since I had to travel 6 hours round trip to see her she decided not to do it. I was given some exercises to do on my own and med which the compounded for me. One is lBC Complex plus GW, another is niacin and another is histamine sl, have you ever heard of these meds/vitamins? The doc said they will help with circulation in the ear canal but all I've been able to find on the internet is for ringing in the ears, which I don't have. If you have any info, please, please advise.
Marrie12

Old 11-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

What exercises did the doctor recommend? I think its pointless to do excercises at this point since the doctor hasnt used a particle repositioning maneuver on you yet. But you should follow her advice not mine, since I am not a doctor, and I am not treating you.

I dont know anything about those medications, but I assume they are non-steroidal medications to increase blood flow and healing to the ear, just in case you have any damage.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
(female)

They are shaking the head quickly, looking up and down quickly. Moving from side to side. I haven't tried them yet, I can hardly walk let alone move the head quickly. They did a hearing test and checked out the ear canal, all of which checked out perfectly. So for now I'm still dizzy and unstable. I don't know what you to do because I know that she would of done the manuver had I of lived closer, so now I don't know should, I try to find someone here to do it for me? I do have some seasick patches, maybe I should try those? I know your not a doctor but I do appreciate your input, not too many folks really appreciate suffering from vertigo Thanks again.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

It sounds like you are really uncomfortable, so I would see a local doctor and ask about BPPV, and ask to have a hallpike-dix maneuver performed to look for nystagmus. And have the appropriate repositioning maneuver performed (most likely the Epley Maneuver).

Old 12-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

I forgot to mention one more thing.

Many family doctors can treat BPPV. Additionally, some chiropractors can treat it. Its very simple to treat, it just requires that the doctor know how to interpret the nystagmus (eye movements) that are caused by the hallpike dix maneuver.

The Following User Says Thank You to bindar For This Useful Post:
marrie12 (12-02-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
(female)

Thank you for all the info, I've got to try and find someone to interpret what they see when they do the eye movement test and they also have me walk in a straight line with eyes closed that almost knocks me down, I do the tests but they don't tell me what it means. I'll try a chiro next, I wish I knew exactly what causes this or how to prevent it. Last few days have had it pretty bad, just now trying to balance things out. Well thank you again.
Marrie12

Old 12-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
(female)

Thank you for all the info, I've got to try and find someone to interpret what they see when they do the eye movement test and they also have me walk in a straight line with eyes closed that almost knocks me down, I do the tests but they don't tell me what it means. I'll try a chiro next, I wish I knew exactly what causes this or how to prevent it. Last few days have had it pretty bad, just now trying to balance things out. Well thank you again.
Marrie12

Old 12-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

BPPV is caused by natural degeneration of the otolith organs, there is nothing you can do to prevent that. But it can be started by any movement that allows the loose otolith particles to exit the utricle and enter the canals (laying on your side, tilting head upside down, etc...). After your BPPV is fixed, dont tilt your head up or down much, lay on your side, or do any abrupt head maneuvers for a week or more.

The Following User Says Thank You to bindar For This Useful Post:
marrie12 (12-08-2011)
Closed Thread