It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
(female)

OCT62 HB User
New Member - Hoping for Support

Hello everyone

I have been reading a lot of different posts over the past few weeks thinking that I should join the forum for support but always hesitated hoping that I would get better and not need to. I have been suffering with vertigo for awhile but since Aug. 29th with BPPV. It has been a very long journey. I have a couple of questions that maybe some of you could answer...I read a lot of internet sites but they are sometimes more generalized...

1) Is it normal to be suffering this long? I had my first Epley done on December 1st, 2011 and the ENT described it as a "violent attack". I have been very weak and very tired (no energy) with lots of headaches.
2) Is it normal to feel so much pressure in my ears - almost painful. (I have left sided Meniere's Disease which is kicking my butt during this whole process). I have right sided BPPV.

Thanks - I have a lot of questions to follow I'm sure.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: New Member - Hoping for Support

Its possible that the Epley caused Anterior or Lateral canal BPPV, this happens occasionally.

However, headaches and ear pressure are not associated with BPPV. If the ear pressure is bilateral and/or relatively constant, this is definitely not caused by Meneires. How do you know you have Meneires?

Can you describe your headaches to me?

Last edited by bindar; 12-05-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
(female)

OCT62 HB User

Good morning Bindar - thank you for your reply.
I was diagnosed with Meniere's in 2006 by the same ENT that is treating me now. Although my Meniere's, since then, has been quite manageable and usually only manifested at times of fatigue and mentrual cycle. But since last May it has been a little more difficult to get through - have been off work since then due to unpredicatable daily bouts. The ear pressure and tinnitus is now in both ears (I was diaganosed with left sided). My ENT thinks that possibly I have it in both now. I also thinbk I have BPPV in both ears now too. It only started off on right side but since last Thursday I can only lie on left side for a week and I am getting very dizzy all through the night. I was told not to attempt the Epley for a week which I feel I will have to as I am completely off balance - feel sorta lob sided. My headaches are from the pressure in my head (from balancing this bowling ball on my shoulders) and possibly from my neck pain from being so stiff all the time. My ears always feel full and sometimes it feels like I have earaches but everytime they check my ears are completely clear - always referred to as aural fullness. I haven't tried the test on my right side yet to see if the Epley worked but I am doubtful just from the way I am feeling. It also feels like something is stuck in there. Unfortunately I waited too long for my first Epley (14 weeks) I was quite anxious about the whole thing so I took the "wait and see" approach because of my Meniere's - this didn't work out for me. Now I'm not sure what I should be attempting since the last Epley was so violent but I did live through.
So, I think I've been rambling somewhat...I'm just so very tired of feeling so run down all the time. Being off balance sure sucks up a lot of energy.
Looking forward to your comments/reply. Thanks,

Old 12-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

Have you ever had a hearing test or ENG test for vestibular damage? It sounds like you have had many Meneires attacks, so there should be some notable damage to the cochlea and inner ear. This would be the best way to test the Meneires diagnosis. But I am not a doctor, so you should ask your doctor about this.

Are your headaches severe? Are they one-sided? Do they ever cause nausea, light sensativity, or smell sensativity?

Not counting the BPPV symptoms, do your Meneires symptoms ever go away completely? Meneires is characterized by acute periods, and periods of temporary remission of symptoms. For example, does your aural fullness ever go away?

The Following User Says Thank You to bindar For This Useful Post:
OCT62 (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
(female)

OCT62 HB User

Hi Bindar,

Again, thank you for taking the time to read my post and sharing your thoughts!

I did have my hearing tested in Oct with only a slight change in hearing (which I was pleasantly surprised about and so was my ENT). In 2006 I had loss of hearing in my left ear which was the last component for my Meniere"s diagnosis. But since then I only had very mild bouts of vertigo which did not slow me down too much for too long.

My headaches are not so severe but this is dependant on how much aural fullness is going on at the time and which ear is giving me the most grief will determine if it feels one sided. I do get sound sensitivity with these and sometimes light sensitivity. Is it possible that I am also experiencing MAV? But it is really dependant on the pressure in my head/ears.

My Meniere's symptoms have been daily for the past 6 mos and more acute since BPPV came to visit at the end of August of this year. I keep waiting for that remission stage to hit but it's not coming very quickly. My attacks are a few minutes to sometimes hours every day. Today, it came on suddenly, first with aural fullness then some weird sorta vertigo - head fullness and numbness on the right side - almost like when your face in thawing out after the dentist. I am told that this is due to aural fullness but it is scary when it happens - doesn't feel right.

Ever since my Epley last week I have felt really off. I have read that you don't usually feel anything after an Epley. Can you share your knowlege in regards to this. You mentioned in your first reply that possibly the crystals moved to the anterior or lateral canal? How would I know this and what can I do about it? Or will it just go away eventually if I just wait it out.

It will be a week tomorrow since my Epley and I can lie on my right side and see if my BPPV has settled. If not I suspect I should re-do the Epley, however, considering how I felt after the last one I am hesitant. Do you think that possibly I was conditioned to having these crystals for 14 weeks and now that they have been moved my whole vestibular system is having to figure this all out. Also, for most of the 14 weeks I was sleeping on my "bad" BPPV ear as this was the only way I was comfortable as my left ear was so sensitive with Meniere's (which has been a problem this past week). Do you think this may have caused a problem? I would have a small tumble every time I would lie down but it would settle quickly and then I could get a little sleep. Would you wait for another week before attempting another Epley?

Also, I tend to struggle the most after getting up from lying down all night. Once I have been up and moving (forcing myself to move and be somewhat balanced) I seem to get a little better. But I have to move ever so slowly most of the day. I tend to keep busy with small tasks to keep my brain occupied so that I don't dwell so much on my physical body/weaknesses.

I know I am throwing out a lot of questions at you but it's not an instant response and I figured I should pick your brain as much as possible. I know you say you are not a doctor, however, you do seem to have a vast knowledge base possibly from experience or your profession - nonetheless I welcome your thoughts/opinions and appreciate your compassion.

Wtih warm thanks,

OCT62

Old 12-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

First of all, your case sounds a bit complex, it is very possible that there are two, and even three potential causes. Your history does sound very suspicious of Meneires, but it is possible that this is not the cause of your current symptoms. It is possible that MAV and/or BPPV are playing a role in your current chronic symptoms.

Sound sensitivity and light sensitivity sound more like a migraine related disorder, and the numbness you describe is definitely more of a migraine feature. I have never heard of Meneires causing neurological symptoms like this. But I am not qualified to make that distinction, I would ask your doctor about this. From my limited knowlege of Meneires, if you have Meneires, you should be reaching that remission state after each attack.

Your description of spinning after laying down sounds very suspicious of BPPV. I would see a doctor ASAP to have a hallpike dix maneuver performed to diagnose the proper canal, and have the appropriate repositioning maneuver done. There is no need to keep waiting if the last maneuver didnt work properly.

Horizontal canal BPPV is very rare because it generally corrects itself, so I wouldnt be too concerned about that. Anterior canal can happen after an Epley, but the doctor will be able to see if that happened by performing a hallpike-dix maneuver, the same maneuver that is used to check the posterior canals. If the nystagmus shows anterior canal involvenent, there are maneuvers to treat the anterior canal.

I would recommend speaking with your ENT or a Neurologist about the possibility of migraine involvement, especially if you have ANY personal or family history of migraine.

Good luck and keep me updated

Closed Thread