It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
(female)

smspaz3 HB User
Vertigo/muscle spasms

I began having symptoms of BPPV on December 27 following a weight workout. The dizziness only occurs if I am rolling over in bed or if bend my neck too far back or forward. I had been managing to keep the dizziness to only once or twice a day. I also sometimes have either headaches or a pressure on the right side of my head. I have a history of muscle knots in my upper back/neck and the doctor was willing to entertain the idea that it could be causing my vertigo. It seems chiropractors believe it to be a cause. Has any else heard of this before? I am going for a massage next week to try to alleviate the dizziness, but the doctor is still hoping it will go away on its own. I made the mistake of trying some Cawthorne exercises last night. I got two bad episodes of dizziness followed by three more while sleeping.

Has anyone ever heard of a connection between vertigo and muscle spasms? I'm not planning on doing those exercises again, but I do have to report back to my doctor after the massage. An ENT or neurologist will be next to see me.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: Vertigo/muscle spasms

It sounds like you are experiencing positional vertigo.

Is it possible that you are tensing your neck, shoulders, and head to keep from provoking vertigo? Over used muscles could contribute to soreness and spasms or cramping. I personally never agree with what chiropractors say about dizziness, this issue is in the scope of a Neurologist or ENT who deals with balance disorders, or ideally an otologist/neurotologist.

Positional vertigo is commonly caused by BPPV and MAV (with or without history of headache).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
(female)

smspaz3 HB User

I am happy to say that after three weeks of vertigo I have not had any spells in 7 days! At the suggestion of a friend (who saw a doctor for his migraines and vertigo) I increased my magnesium intake from 250 mg. to 500 mg. Coincidence or not, I haven't had an episode since then and I am very thankful!

Old 01-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

Glad to hear the good news! Migraines are the most common cause of vertigo and dizziness. It is possible that this is the cause of your positional vertigo, and magnesium can improve migraine. I would also suggest avoiding caffeine, chocolate, and MSG, as those are also migraine triggers. Additionally, try to keep a low stress lifestyle and regular sleep patterns. If the symptoms come back, see a doctor and be evaluated for BPPV, because that is a possibility too.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
(female)

smspaz3 HB User

Thanks for the advice. I have been reading the book "Heal Your Headache" and trying to follow the dietary advice. It is only my 3rd day and it has been tough. I miss my green tea, iced tea, cheddar cheese, diet Coke and pineapple!

Closed Thread