It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Ashley9045 HB UserAshley9045 HB User
Vertigo

Hello,
I have had vertigo on and off episodes of it for many years. I have a history of migraines in my family, and my Mom had them where they use to disable her for days at a time. I get the vertigo, and have had it for several weeks now when I wake up in the morning. I try to sit on the end of the bed, but when I get up everything starts spinning and have to lay back down. It seems to be when I am only moving over sometimes in bed or standing up. It also feels like I have a headache and neck ache so I am not sure if it is coming from that. The doctor thinks it is BVVP so I am going to PT this week. I am wondering if it could also be associated with a Vertigo Migraine which I have read about. Does anyone just have the dizziness when getting up in the morning. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User
Re: Vertigo

Sounds like a textbook case of migraine associated vertigo. My first advice is to avoid migraine diet and lifestyle triggers. If you dont achieve satisfactory control with that after 1 month, ask your doctor for a migraine preventative, my favorites are antidepressants.

Im not a doctor, but a patient with MAV. Consult your doctor for more info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Can you have MAV with no pain and the dizziness seems to be the worst in the morning. Have you ever tried topomax, a migraine medication?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB Userbindar HB User

Its very common without headache. I have never had a headache in my life and have MAV.

Topamax seems to work well if the patient can tolerate the side effects. But because of the high side effect profile, most experts do not start with this med. I have not tried Topamax. Every expert has their opinions, but most will start with either Nortriptyline, Pizotifen, Verapamail, Effexor or Celexa.

Last edited by bindar; 03-02-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Vertigo

I started having vertigo about 2 months ago, it seems to only happen when I get up in the morning. I take my time to get out of bed, roll side to side, sit at the edge of the bed, I get up and everything starts to spin so I have to lay back down for a few minutes. I then get up for the 2nd time, I feel spacey, fatigued, achy, and it gets better but takes about an hour until I feel normal again.

I fell and hit the back of my head in December and I wonder if this has something to do with this. Not sure though because I have been to several doctors and no one seems to think it is related. I had a cat scan, blood work,
chiro, physical therapy, nothing seems to help, my ears checked. I am very hot when I wake up in the morning and I am menopausal so I am wondering if it has something to do with my hormones, or could this be "Fibromalgia" I have been hearing so much about. I do have hypothyroidism also. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of doctor I should go too--I was going to go to an Endocronologist to have my hormones checked. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thank you!

Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
(female)

middleone HB User

You should see an otoneurologist. They are an an ENT with a specialty related to the neurological functions. Most general ENTs don't deal with these issues on an ongoing basis. They may be able to coordinate with an endocrinologist or a team to help get you the relief you need. Sounds like multiple possibilities. Do you have a health system in your area that deals with balance issues. In my area, the University of Michigan has an integrated approach to these issues.

Closed Thread