It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
(female)

Marga482 HB User
Diagnosis unclear - braintumor?

Hi,

Here's a brief history of my dizziness:

One morning in januari after sleeping in much longer than I normally do, I woke up feeling really groggy as you can feel sometimes when you've slept to deep to long.
I stood up to go to the bathroom and suddenly the room was spinning. So much even that it made me nauseous. I felt weird the rest of that day and just pretty much sat in a chair all day. That was the only day it was that severe.
From january untill the end of march I continued being dizzy. The dizzyness was always when I was moving and never when sitting still.
I visited my GP numerous times since I got very anxious. She first diagnosed me with BPPV even though I didn't have nystagmus at the test she did. A few weeks later she said it was probably vestibular neuritis that was persistent. She did give me a hearing test, but it came back normal. No blood work was done, even though I requested it many times. She said vestibular disfunction doesn't show in a blood test.

Somewhere at the end of march, begin of april my dizzyness disappeared and I didn't think about it again.

Untill about 3 weeks ago. Every now and again when I quickly turned around I thought I felt some spinning but dismissed it since it was only seconds.
Then about 2 weeks ago I felt it again but gave it much more attention.
Since then I've been dizzy almost all of the time.
Not spinning dizzy anymore though, more a fuzzy feeling in my head. I now mainly notice it when looking into the distance. I don't seem to be able to focus right away. Like my eyes are moving like 'Kit' from knightrider.

Some things that might be important:

Since the 6th week I've been having tinnitus in my right ear, which went I away when I wasn't dizzy but now is back 70 - 80% of the day.

I've never been off balance, and besides the first day I've never been sick or nauseous again.

I don't have any other symptoms besides the dizzyness. No headaches or anything like that. I have had horrible headaches since childhood untill now. They call them tension headaches. The always start from my shoulders and neck.

I've had panick disorder for 10 years now. I don't believe this is cause by anxiety although I do feel my stress is making it worse.

After the second episode of dizziness started my GP finally referred me to an ENT last week. She said: I don't think it's BPPV because you don't have it when lying down. I also don't think that it's vestibular neuritis because the initial episode wasn't severe enough.

I'm now scheduled for ENG testing in a couple of weeks.

I'm very anxious that it's some kind of brain tumor or acoustic neuroma. My GP said she couldn't rule that out. The ENT said acoustic neuroma was unlikely. She tested my hearing again and it was perfect.

Does anybody on this forum have any clues what might be wrong with me? How likely is this a tumor? Will the ENG test tell them if the problem is my ear or my brain?

Any information you can give me will be great. I'm going crazy here thinking the worst!

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
(male)

dmichaeld HB User
Re: Diagnosis unclear - braintumor?

ENG testing should be able to decipher if it is a central (brain) or peripheral (inner ear) disorder. It is unlikely that you have a brain tumor given your presentation. I would not rule out vestibular neuritis as that condition does not affect hearing which your GP and ENT should have known. A similar condition, vestibular labyrinthitis affects hearing. You are probably suffering from the effects of neuritis that can be helped with proper physical therapy and if they customize your treatment based on ENG findings.

The Following User Says Thank You to dmichaeld For This Useful Post:
sjb (06-14-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
(female)

Marga482 HB User

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Could it still be vestibular neuritis even though the initial episode wasn't severe? That's what the ENT said.

Do you know anything about ENG testing? Will it give a definite diagnosis?

Also, if I'm (for some reason) not dizzy on the day of the test, will this influence the test results?

I'm just worried that it's not VN because it took 3 months to go away, was away for 1,5 month and now back for almost 4 weeks. Is that normal?
Also, I read that tinnitus is not common in VN?

Last edited by Marga482; 06-12-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi Welcome to the boards! I hope the needed comfort is found here.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:16 AM   #5
(female)

Marga482 HB User

Hi and thanks,

Do you know anything about this:

I just went to the store where I buy my contact lenses for a regular check-up. The optometrist (not an eye doctor!, don't know another name in English) checked the prescription one eye at a time.
I could read the letters just fine.
Then she went to the test where they show you a green square and a red square both with a black circle in them. Then you have to say if the black circle looks better in the green square or the red square.

When she closed the shutter in front of my right eye and show the red and green squares to my left eye I suddenly got very very dizzy. Everything started spinning. I backed away and it was okay again. I then tried again but got dizzy again. This only happened with my left eye.
She also said my pupil where on the large size, but the reacted perfectly fine so this could be just normal for me.
She didn't think the dizzyness had anything to do with my eyesight, since it was perfect (with my glasses on).

I'm puzzeled about the dizzy spell though. Could it be that my right balance nerve is not functioning, which is compensated by my right eye and when she shut the right eye I got dizzy from the movement on my left eye??

I'm just guessing here. Do I need to call my GP to tell this, or is it irrelevant?

Also, are enlarged pupils something significant? I think I've always had them, but would need to check old photo's

Old 06-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi Personally first, I would think of my past and ask myself if I had ingested any food that was bad or accidental food additive. I would avoid things such as sugar, alcohol, drugs, or even artificial sweeteners, chemical exposures breathed in or ingested, poisonous plants etc. I might ask myself if I was exposed to someone who was ill. In my opinion I would want my blood sugar checked if it had not already been checked. I would want my liver enzymes checked if that had not been done already.

Then if those things were checked I might do the electronystagmogram and then an Magnetic Resonance Imaging test if the electronystagmogram turned out negative. If desired more can be shared about what happens. We would be interested. The best of wishes

Last edited by sjb; 06-14-2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: typo

Old 06-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
(male)

whynotme HB User

Hi,
I'm by no means an expert on the subject matter, it could be anything from low blood pressure to a light ear infection. I myself suffer from an astro II and experienced dizzieness only after a full round of radiotherapy which may have damaged my inner ear on the right side - the only advice I can give is to talk to your doctor about it. Even if you have an MRI scan that shows an abnormality, the only way to be sure of what's going on would be a biopsy. Good luck with finding the source of the problem and hopefully it can be treated to your satisfaction.

Closed Thread