It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
(male)

mszach HB User
Almost Constant Lightheadedness...

I am a 41 year old male who has experienced chronic lightheadedness (with little vertigo) for several years with no diagnosis. Other symptoms include occasional nausea, numbness and tingling, mood swings, depression and of course, anxiety. It would be easy to chalk these symptoms up to some sort of psychosomatic issue, after all, EKGs, CT-Scans and blood work have always come back normal. I am convinced there is some sort of somatic cause though, the symptoms are quite disabling at times. It's a difficult situation because I am simply not an active person anymore, I rarely go out and often times get lightheaded when I drive. Fortunately, I have never actually fainted but I've ended up in the ER more times than I care to count, they never come up with anything.

As for medications, I am currently taking klonopin, remeron, vicodin (PRN for pain) and prilosec. I am very careful with the pain meds as I do have back issues and have been at the same dose (30 mg a day) for 10 years. It's interesting that the klonopin occasionally helps with the symptoms, but not always. One thing I am certain of is that anxiety (stress) makes these symptoms much worse, but that could probably be said for any illness.

I am seeing my primary tomorrow, trying to think of ways to explain all this to him and at the same time, be taken seriously. I am taking care of my dad right now who has advanced PD, so I am under a great deal of stress.

My sleep study came back normal, although I do suffer from chronic insomnia. I have probably had 20 EKGs that have been normal, all these have occured while I am having symptoms. I have had CT-Scans of my brain and heart, both were normal. I am about 30 pounds overweight, most likely due to lack of exercise and the meds I am on.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated, I feel like I am at a dead end here. Family is not supportive at all, friends don't understand, I've lost more than I can count.

The following user gives a hug of support to mszach:
sjb (06-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

lfanner HB Userlfanner HB Userlfanner HB Userlfanner HB User
Re: Almost Constant Lightheadedness...

Can you explain your symtoms in detail?

Old 06-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
(male)

mszach HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfanner View Post
Can you explain your symtoms in detail?
I thought I was specific enough, sorry. The lightheaded sensation is similar to the feeling you get when you stand up too fast, but instead of lasting a few seconds or a minute, it lasts hours. I don't have any kind of blood pressure issues, no orthostatic hypotension although it does tend to run a bit low for my size and weight. This feeling faint sometimes is accompanied by numbness and tingling that can be felt anywhere above my neck or on occasion, my arms and legs. The symptoms are similar to what I've read with regards to CFS but I don't have a sore throat or other flu-like symptoms. Just feeling lightheaded, weak and the tingling sensation. I also have noticed some memory issues, I'm not as sharp as I used to be, my personality has changed. I've become depressed and not nearly as social as I once was.

Certain things make it worse such as stress, driving or lack of sleep. I've been on klonopin for years and I'm starting to wonder if this isn't some sort of issue caused by benzo use. I've tried to taper off benzos before and had horrible withdrawal symptoms. I've never abused my medication but I am certainly dependent on it. If I don't take my klonopin, my symptoms invariably get worse.

I went to see my doctor today and he referred me to a neurologist. Not surprisingly, he didn't seem too concerned about the symptoms.

I'm wondering if could also be some sort of vitamin issue. I asked my doctor about this and he dismissed it. Wondering if anyone out there has had these symptoms and found a cause or better yet, been cured! I did see an ENT a few years ago and he ruled out any issues, no meniere's. I was concerned about this because I was getting what appeared to be fluid on my earplugs in the morning when I woke up, found out later that excema can cause this (which I do have)

Thanks for reading, again, any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated. My main concern right now is taking care of my father, but it's difficult to do when I am ill myself.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
(female)

wellyoulookfine HB Userwellyoulookfine HB User

Hi mszach. Sorry to hear about what you're going through - please remember that the stress, anxiety and/or depression caused by your symptoms can cause additional symptoms too. When i'm stressing out about my prob i get tingling on the top of my head of all places. You're symptoms sound similar to mind, esp the lightheadedness which i find is so constant, vague and nondescript that it's difficult to describe to other people without them thinking it doesnt sound that bad - probably a common problem that most people with a dizzy problem have. Please search visual vertigo on this board (i've posted quite a lot of indepth symptoms there) and see what you think. I dont want to jump in and make assumptions but i think Ifanner may be about to suggest vertical heterophoria (an eye muscle misalignment problem) which throws up similar symptoms (including visual vertigo).
I get 10 times worse when moving past scenery/colours, particularly when driving as this is probably when i'm most focussed but moving at my fastest (a really bad combo). I also really struggle looking at computer screens for too long also - so it all makes sense that my eyes (if an inner problem has been ruled out) are the cause. A possibility for you maybe? (i'm no doctor). General practicioners are great but rely on likeliehood and statistics when it comes to obscure, vague or rare symptoms (and esp if they arent life-threatening) - for that reason follow your gut instincts and push them to go in a direction of diagnosis that makes sense to you as you know your body better than any doctor and you know whats normal and acceptable for you. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
(male)

mszach HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyoulookfine View Post
Hi mszach. Sorry to hear about what you're going through - please remember that the stress, anxiety and/or depression caused by your symptoms can cause additional symptoms too. When i'm stressing out about my prob i get tingling on the top of my head of all places. You're symptoms sound similar to mind, esp the lightheadedness which i find is so constant, vague and nondescript that it's difficult to describe to other people without them thinking it doesnt sound that bad - probably a common problem that most people with a dizzy problem have. Please search visual vertigo on this board (i've posted quite a lot of indepth symptoms there) and see what you think. I dont want to jump in and make assumptions but i think Ifanner may be about to suggest vertical heterophoria (an eye muscle misalignment problem) which throws up similar symptoms (including visual vertigo).
I get 10 times worse when moving past scenery/colours, particularly when driving as this is probably when i'm most focussed but moving at my fastest (a really bad combo). I also really struggle looking at computer screens for too long also - so it all makes sense that my eyes (if an inner problem has been ruled out) are the cause. A possibility for you maybe? (i'm no doctor). General practicioners are great but rely on likeliehood and statistics when it comes to obscure, vague or rare symptoms (and esp if they arent life-threatening) - for that reason follow your gut instincts and push them to go in a direction of diagnosis that makes sense to you as you know your body better than any doctor and you know whats normal and acceptable for you. Good luck!
Thanks very much for your reply. I find my symptoms are tolerable at this point IF I am not under stress. The problem is, I am taking care of my father who has advanced Parkinson's and that is a very stressful situation. I do take breaks here and there but this does not go over well with my family. Family is focused 100 percent on my my dad, which is understandable except there is no room for anyone elses problems. So my family is a bit dogmatic with regards to my own health issues.

Yes, driving can be a huge issue for me, I find that taking a (very) small dose of any benzodiazepine can help, usually .25 mg of xanax of klonopin. Another possibility is long term benzo use, which I know can cause balance issues for some people and tolerance withdrawal problems, but that's a whole other discussion altogether.

I did have an MRI of my neck but anything serious was ruled out, I have the typical (slightly) pinched nerve that probably 60 percent of all middle aged people have. I never considered vision issues, I will definitely look into that, sounds like it would be a difficult problem to cure. I quit drinking a long time ago and using other chemicals that cause lightheadedness. I am on my way to tapering off my pain medication, hoping this will ease my symptoms.

Seems like a doctor's main concern would be lack of blood flow to the brain, I'm reasonably sure it's not that as this is relatively easy for doctors to check. Perhaps it's time to look into non traditional medicine, not sure. I am also looking in to losing weight and a mild exercise program.

At any rate, I am starting to regret going on meds for anxiety, I should have done my homework first. Once you've been on benzos for a long time, they are very difficult to get off save a very slow taper and even then, anxiety symptoms can increase 10-fold.

Closed Thread