It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

Juliap HB User
Dizziness low blood pressure

Hi, I am having dizziness and low blood pressure and I am not sure what is wrong. I keep having dizziness like when I stand up and almost black out. I can't turn upside down or even barely bring my head unlevel. Some days my dizziness is worse and keeps coming in waves. I started reading about blood pressure going low and causing diziness. So I started taking my blood pressure on the days I was dizzy. It was 95/61 and I think that is pretty low. I think the low blood pressure is causing my dizziness but what is causing my low blood pressure. I noticed if I ate bannanas or potatoes my dizziness gets worse. I think because they contain postassium which brings your blood pressure down. One day I had a very scary episode were I had blurred vision and my arm and face went numb. I was scared I was having a stroke. I recovered within thirty minutes and was fine. I used to have migranes so bad when I was a kid that I could not talk properly. I don't have them anymore but have read migrane sufferers can have this happen to them. I have been reading how the adrenal gland regulates blood pressure and trying to figure out the cause of the low blood pressure. Have any ideas whats going on or were to even start. I don't exactly trust doctors and don't have insurance. Everytime I have been to a doctor they never seem to want to find the cause of problems just treat the symptoms. I want to figure out the cause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Dizziness low blood pressure

A BP of 95/61 can be normal for some people who are thin, young and petite. Has your BP always been this low? If not, this can cause dizziness when standing up becuase the blood pools in lower extremeties and leaves your brain short of blood. There are many causes for orthostatic hypotension, which this called. Drugs can cause it as a side effect. A very common reason is dehydration, esp. druing hot summer weather and in dry climates. Keeping a low salt diet is good for most people, but not you. You need salt to keep the water in your blood to keep the BP up. You might start getting a blood glucose for diabetes (causes dehydration) and an electrolyte panel to measure your salt and potassium levels. If you feel sick with fatigue, nausea, weight loss, loss of appetite, or darker skin than usual, I would get your adrenal function checked. If nothing shows up, try drinking an athletc drink each day (has sodium and potassium in it), and stay well hydrated. Allow yourself salt in your diet and make position changes slowly to prevent fainting.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
(female)

Juliap HB User

Thank you now I know where to start looking. I have been wanting to check for diabetes. You see I am 33 years old and have ate fast food and cokes my whole life until recently. I drank cokes instead of water for many many years. Almost my whole adult life. My mom got cancer and I have changed my whole lifestyle. For about four months now I have been vegetarian. I now drink water instead of cokes. I have lost 17lbs I was never really fat but now I am pretty skinny. I still had the dizziness before I switched my diet. I eat mostly organic and I was avoiding salt. I have read about adrenal fatigue and how the adrenal glands regulate blood pressure. I read about how salt directly affects this and makes the blood pressure higher. It may be as simple as I need salt. I don't get a whole lot of it. I am trying to add it to my meals. Does anybody know of a cheap way to get these tests done?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Quest labs will let patients request some tests for themselves directly and just pay cash. They can give you prices for chemistry 7, includes glucose and electrolytes. Please get the test fasting, first thing in am, but you can drink plain water.

Last edited by ladybud; 07-23-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: added info

Closed Thread