It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dizziness / Vertigo Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
(female)

jen7214 HB User
My migraine vertigo story... help needed!

So her it is...
I recently got diagnosed with migraine virtago, and have been having problems for 4 years now, I had alot of ear infections as a baby/child, had the tubes in my ear twice a year til I was 12 when they finally took out my tonsiles and up until 4 years ago everything was great!
Then one night I was sick with a cold and next thing you know the room was spinning and I started vomitting and my heart was racing and I honestly thought I was going to die.... anyways long story short went for all the test everything came back normal, so what the heck?
so then get a refural to the ent who has now informed me that I have MAV after more tests lol... he put me on amitriptyline which I am affraid to take! and havent taken yet, anyone have any thoughts on this medication? I thought this would just go away, but clearly it isnt! a mini spell happenes atleast once a day, for instance had to get a filling done today at the dentist and as soon as he turned on the vibrating grinder... I had an attack, I have had 2 major attacked since all of this which last for anywear from 1-2 weeks straight it is aweful I tell you... anyways aswell I am suppose to go to Cuba in Febuary for a wedding and I am terrified that I will have an episode, does anyone out there know what I can take? to avoid this from ruining my vacation???? thought on this would be greatly appriciated! thx for reading!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User
Re: MY MIRGRAINE VIRTAGO STORY.... help needed

When you say that you get a spell, are you referring to a panic attack or that you get migraines? Amitriptyline was probably prescribed for the panic attacks that you’ve had. MAV from what I know is dizziness or disequilibrium associated to poor blood flow to the brain. If you are unsure about the medicine that the doctor prescribed, you should talk to him/her and get something that you feel more comfortable with. Some people take Valium or Xanax for occasional panic attacks or when they have to do something that they know will cause an attack such as going to the doctor/dentist. When you get migraines or vertigo, do you take NSAIDs and do they help?

Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User
Re: My migraine vertigo story... help needed!

My daughter takes the amitriptyline, prescribed as a migraine preventive. I haven't heard her complaine about migraines as much since she has been on them.

I have MAV and they put me on Topamax as a migraine preventive. I didn't have actual migraines but a lot of other problems that MAV can cause. All topamax did was steal my appitite so I had to get off of them.

Symptoms I have had from this MAV is constant non stop nausea, dizziness, stagger, stumbeling when I walk. Pressure in my ears, motion sickness, light sensitivity too the point that I can't hardly go out of the house. I have had to pass up on some awesome trips due to this MAV, afraid I will get somewhere and get BAD vertigo and not be able to get the help I need to stop it so I can get home.. I have lost my job because of it, no one invites me to go anywhere because of the light problem.. It has just stolen my life for two years and there just dosen't seem to be anything they can do to stop it or fix it!

LOL! I read somewhere when you have vertigo, avoid dentist chairs and the bowls at beauty shops where they wash your hair. See how you are when it comes time for that trip before deciding rather you are going or not and use Afrin nose spray before the plane leaves the ground.... that's what my doctor told me when I thought I was going to have to make an emergency trip on a plane.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
(female)

jen7214 HB User
Re: MY MIRGRAINE VIRTAGO STORY.... help needed

[QUOTE=Seekingpeace12;5048813]When you say that you get a spell, are you referring to a panic attack or that you get migraines? Amitriptyline was probably prescribed for the panic attacks that youíve had. MAV from what I know is dizziness or disequilibrium associated to poor blood flow to the brain. If you are unsure about the medicine that the doctor prescribed, you should talk to him/her and get something that you feel more comfortable with. Some people take Valium or Xanax for occasional panic attacks or when they have to do something that they know will cause an attack such as going to the doctor/dentist. When you get migraines or vertigo, do you take NSAIDs and do they help?[/

I havent taken anything yet for my mav, I get migraines often but they go away with taking ibphrophen...My spell consists of getting hot from the inside out and I almost feel like im going to pass out, my eyes go all blurry and I just fell conpletely off.... all my doctor told me was that I have mav and then he gave me antidepressants......so Im not sure if that a panic attack or not?

Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
(female)

jen7214 HB User
Re: My migraine vertigo story... help needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulubells View Post
My daughter takes the amitriptyline, prescribed as a migraine preventive. I haven't heard her complaine about migraines as much since she has been on them.

I have MAV and they put me on Topamax as a migraine preventive. I didn't have actual migraines but a lot of other problems that MAV can cause. All topamax did was steal my appitite so I had to get off of them.

Symptoms I have had from this MAV is constant non stop nausea, dizziness, stagger, stumbeling when I walk. Pressure in my ears, motion sickness, light sensitivity too the point that I can't hardly go out of the house. I have had to pass up on some awesome trips due to this MAV, afraid I will get somewhere and get BAD vertigo and not be able to get the help I need to stop it so I can get home.. I have lost my job because of it, no one invites me to go anywhere because of the light problem.. It has just stolen my life for two years and there just dosen't seem to be anything they can do to stop it or fix it!

LOL! I read somewhere when you have vertigo, avoid dentist chairs and the bowls at beauty shops where they wash your hair. See how you are when it comes time for that trip before deciding rather you are going or not and use Afrin nose spray before the plane leaves the ground.... that's what my doctor told me when I thought I was going to have to make an emergency trip on a plane.
I know the feeling I've been out and we have had to leave cuz I felt a spell come on.....I am in the process of looking up herbal remedies instead.... I'll let you know if you want to look into that maybe that will help for you???

Reply Reply